Speaking of dog parks....

Scooter

Is it my fault if my dog chases a running kid and jumps on him or her? If I see a kid who is running, I usually try to warn them or their parents because Zoe thinks it's a game to chase them, and she will knock them down. I always feel badly, but shouldn't parents know not to let their 5 year olds run around in a dog park?

bubbatd

Ollie loves kids and could easily knock them down . Knowing it's a dog park and not a children's park , if he happened to hurt one , I'd feel very bad but wouldn't blame him .

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
IF your dog goes to the dog park your dog should have one hundred percent recall and you should be watching your dog. SO YES it is your fault. IF you saw your dog running toward a child you should have called your dog back and your dog should have been redirected. IF your dog does not have solid recall or you are the kind of owner that is easily distracted then you should not be in an off leash dog park.

Scooter

Gosh, will all due respect, if only dogs with 100% perfect recall went to the dog park it would be empty most of the time!

Toller_08

I don't feel that most children belong at dog parks, so while I'd feel bad if my dog jumped on a child (because the dog should've listened when I told it to leave the kid alone or called it back), the child shouldn't have been there in the first place. A lot of dogs don't get enough socialization time with kids to know exactly how to behave around them. I know mine don't, as hard as I tried. The Dobes are really great with kids despite that fact, but Dance is afraid of them. I just don't know enough kids, and most parents don't allow their kids around strange dogs, so it's hard. If I was a parent, knowing that most dogs have limited child experience, I would never bring my kid to a dog park. And if I did, I'd have to kind of expect that the kid might be jumped on and chased.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Not totally
first, kids shouldn't be running at dogparks. dog parks are for DOGS to play in.. not kids

on one hand, it is unfortunate, your dog should've been in better control but on the other, that kid shouldn't have been running around in a park full of dogs.
dogs like to chase fast moving things...

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I don't think most small kids belong in dog parks.. but so many morons own dogs and do stupid things.. often in dogs parks I avoid them. I'm a big fan of small children running around with fast food in dog parks being jumped all over and parents having a fit about it. Seen that so many times it's become sadly common.

Many dogs are not suited for dog parks... to many people use them to let their unruly dogs get exercised.

I basically agree with smkie... I watch my dog closely the whole time and call him off of situations I dont like. I dont really love when I see kids in the dog park but they are allowed there, so if I see one misbehaving I keep my dog away from them.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I no longer go to our dog park for this reason.
The rule is "no children under 12 allowed." No "no children under 12 without parental supervision," NO CHILDREN UNDER 12. PERIOD.
People do not follow that rule. There were people there that brought their young children and were basically letting the kids treat it like a petting zoo. The kids were reaching out grabbing at any dog they can get near trying to pet them. GRABBING AT. That is a recipe for disaster.

I do not go anymore. I won't put my dog into that situation ever again. Even if they are the ones breaking the rules I still believe it's my fault.
my fault that my dog has a herding drive. sigh.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Well our dog park rules (posted by the door with age/weight limits and whatnot) say that children of a certain age aren't allowed at all unless they have supervision so at least in my park, I believe it's the parent's fault for not properly watching their child. That said, no one brings kids into our park but that's because .5 mile away there is a jungle gym and plenty of kid things to do.

Honestly, if you know any thing about dogs you know it's possible that any dog weighing more than your child has the potential to knock it down, even when it's not running after the child so keep the kid with you. Seriously, a dog park is for the dogs to run around in, not your children. I heard a story about someone who brought their TODDLER to the park a day I didn't go and Leroy (The most ball happy dog at the park) was getting chased by the toddler/parent's full grown hulking GSD and the GSD bowled the kid over at such a speed the poor kid got airborne. Can't really blame that on anyone but yourself since not only was it your dog that about ran over the kid, but it was your kid!

I just think it's common sense not to bring small, easily hurt children to the dog park.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
With all due respect how is your dog safe otherwise? IT is not the place for training your dog. IT is the place for trained dogs. I go often and have for almost a decade. I stand beside what i wrote. Ours is not empty, quite the opposite and I have met wonderful dogs and owners. I have also met quite a few that need to finish their basics and then come back. A few I wish would never step in it again. Bottom line is if your dog is off leash, you are responsible for what your dog does. IF you go knowing your dog does not have a solid recall then you are responsible for what happens if your dogs harms anyone.

Bailey08

Kids at the DP make me insane!! I am on pins and needles the whole time. The best was when a barely walking toddler was at a DP, with a stuffed toy, in the middle of the day Saturday. Fortunately she was fine but I was watching her like a hawk (for her own safety)! ;)

Thankfully, my dog really doesn't care about kids. I just make sure he steers clear of them completely in DPs. Not because he would do anything to them -- he seems to understand intrinsically that kids are "different" and he needs to be careful around them -- but for instances when he might be playing with another dog too close to a child and accidentally knock the kiddo down.

At the end of the day, while I may think that any particular parents are idiots for bringing their kids to the dog park, I will do my best to ensure that no child is hurt. It's not about being "right" IMO.

Saintgirl

I do not believe an off leash dog park is any place for a child, and I cannot understand a parent thinking it is a good thing to do. But that aside I have to agree with Smkie. A solid recall should be in place before a dog goes to a dog park. This is only one of the many reasons that a solid recall would have saved a situation from happening. Without a solid recall what would you do if you saw a dog entering the park that really had no buisness being there? Your dog runs over and fight ensues because you were powerless to get your dog to return. Sure, the other dog should not be in the park (just the same as children should not be there) but IDIOTS are always going to dog parks!

Dog parks are an uncontrolled environment where you never know at what time the variables might change. Without complete control of your dog you could be setting it up to fail.

Dekka

Just try me..
The thing with expecting all dogs to be perfect.. well to me thats more than silly. YES many people go to the dog park to train. How else do you get to work your dog around many other dogs? You can't proof except around what you are proofing against.

I do think dogs should have the basics. But 100% recall is not basic. In fact it is extreemly advanced.. in fact nigh impossible. Humans aren't perfect and neither are dogs. You can train all you want, but that doesn't mean things can't happen.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
YOU set up play dates with your friends dogs. YOu go to training classes and engage with other dog and other people there. YOu walk on the street a bazillion miles on a leash and train for the unexpected. Getting them use to all kinds of surprises. THat's how. I have had play dates with quite a few dogs that are learning how to be around other dogs to prepare for going to the dog park. YOu know your dog. When your dog comes even with intense distraction and you know your dog will not fight.or get carried away...then your ready. YOu do not go if your dog has any issues with other dogs period.

That goes for big dogs and little dogs. ONe more little dog runs up and jumps up on VIctor I swear. EVen at the Unplaza ARt Fair, right under the tent flap. THey need to learn just as much as the big ones what is acceptable.

Maybe impossible for You Dekka but my dogs are just fine and so are my friends. that I frequent the park with. Not impossible and we all do it all the time. WE were in the woods (not the dog park) when a loose dog chased down hard on Pepper's rear end. I yelled COME COME COME COME and had three dogs at my feet in a matter of seconds. Had no idea where VIctor was but it didn't matter. HE stays within hearing range, they all do .COme means COME no matter what.

Saintgirl

I just want to clarify that while I still think dogs should have a solid recall in an off leash park- for at the very least their own saftey, I was wrong in saying "without complete control", dogs are dogs and 100% control is impossible. But this is why I never go to dog parks, I know my dogs and I know their strengths and weaknesses. It isn't my own dogs that I worry about, but the uncontrolled variable that could cause a major problem.

Dekka

Just try me..
If you don't have friends with lots of dogs..

For example, I am quite involved with dogs, but most of my friends don't have dogs. Classes are ok, but its easy to control your dog around other controlled dogs. Living in the country I don't see many dogs, and walking down the street is a bad idea (dog wise) I do go into town, but I never see other dogs when walking mine.

Its great if you live in high dog populated areas, but if you don't...

And dogs all running loose is very different than dogs on leashes ignoring eachother for the most part. If you have easy dogs then its not a big deal.

Anyway I thought dog parks were for dogs? Lets say someone has a very nice dog who gets along with other dogs great, but is a bit rambunctious (say its young, still in training and needs the dog park so they can run off some extra energy) Why should that dog not be able to enjoy a DOG park because there are small children there?

Doberluv

I agree with Dekka. I think dogs should have some basic obedience and not be aggressive or dangerous to anyone, dog or human. But cotton-pick-it! There are so many doggone places that dogs aren't allowed to go. There are people parks and picnic grounds where dogs aren't allowed, play grounds for kids all over the gosh darn place and dogs aren't allowed. City beaches...dogs not allowed. Gosh darn it! Why can't there be someplace where kids aren't allowed and dogs are????? Like a dog park. Or keep the kids on a leash or under control. Let the dogs have some fun and get to be dogs.

I think dogs should be under reasonable control and be reasonably well mannered, but perfect, 100% recall (I don't believe that exists in the best trained dogs) and perfect "human" behavior at all times? Ridiculous...especially for a puppy or adolescent dog who needs some exercise and that's the only place to get it. People need to chill, make kids not allowed, and let their dogs have some fun as they mature and learn the ropes. If only perfect dogs were allowed, yeah, the parks would be useless. Dogs need to run. I'm just glad I don't depend on a dog park. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't live in a place like this.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I agree with Dekka. I think dogs should have some basic obedience and not be aggressive or dangerous to anyone, dog or human. But cotton-pick-it! There are so doggone places that dogs aren't allowed to go. There are people parks and picnic grounds where dogs aren't allowed, play grounds for kids all over the gosh darn place and dogs aren't allowed. City beaches...dogs not allowed. Gosh darn it! Why can't there be someplace where kids aren't allowed and dogs are????? Like a dog park. Or keep the kids on a leash or under control. Let the dogs have some fun and be dogs.

I think dogs should be under reasonable control and be reasonably well mannered, but perfect, 100% recall (I don't believe that exists in the best trained dogs) and perfect "human" behavior at all times? Ridiculous...especially for a puppy or adolescent dog who needs some exercise and that's the only place to get it. People need to chill, make kids not allowed, and let their dogs have some fun.
Agreed :hail::hail:

Bailey08

Anyway I thought dog parks were for dogs? Lets say someone has a very nice dog who gets along with other dogs great, but is a bit rambunctious (say its young, still in training and needs the dog park so they can run off some extra energy) Why should that dog not be able to enjoy a DOG park because there are small children there?
I agree -- but it's probably because I have one of those. ;)

Members online

No members online now.