Advice about Parvo

KaseyCaye

Ok so I am just full of questions huh? :) I have an event to go to this weekend for work and I want to take Diesel with me but I am worried about taking him into public. He will be 11 weeks old and on Thursday he will be getting his second parvo shot (I would leave after the shot and he would be out in public on Friday and Saturday), I was told to not bring him out into public until he has had all of his shots but then I read the article that was posted here about how the Veterinary Association of America (or whatever it's called) says that the puppy has to be brought into public so that it doesn't have behavioral issues. The place where I am going to a really well-to-do place (it's called Bay Harbor, MI in case anyone knows of it) and I honestly doubt that anyone who lives there/brings their dog there wouldn't have their dog utd on their vaccines but I am a worrier and don't want to expose Diesel to the virus.

Any thoughts? Again I have to go, my only options are to take him and have him outside with me or to leave him with a family friend all day friday, overnight, and all day saturday.

Thanks guys!

mom2dogs

Personally? Starting at 8-10 weeks I take healthy puppies everywhere, mostly dog shows. I see handlers who have no choice but to bring their own puppies (no one at home to watch them) and they are still alive and kicking (actually haven't met one that has came down with something).

I completely understand the fear of parvo and I understand it CAN happen, it's in my own head as well, so I make sure to help their immune system be as strong as possible. So all in all, my opinion is take him and have fun, my concern would be all the excitement, and being sure there is a 'safe' place (i.e. crate) to give him a chance to relax if he seems bombarded.

KaseyCaye

Diesel is now 11 weeks, at 8 weeks he was 19lbs - he has a vet appointment on Thursday and I'm sure he's going to weigh a whole heck of a lot more. So while I like to think of myself as strong, no carrying him for that long would not be a fesible option for me.

By the by my vet is the one that really freaked me out about parvo - he told me that I can not take him anywhere in public where any other dogs are or else I assume the risk of killing him. Seemed a bit harsh to me but I would rather be careful than kill him (which my vet made it seem like an absolute certainty that if I took him into public that he would instantly drop dead from parvo).

I do appreciate your input mom2dogs - I think I might just take him and see how he does, if he starts to get freaked out I can also bring his crate and just crate him in our office.

Tailcreek

More dogs are abandoned or euthanized for behaviour problems (many due to lack of early socialization) than ever die from parvo...

Jennifer

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
In my opinion (and no telling how "right" I am here) but I started socializing Lily at 12 weeks...when she'd only had 1 shot and then a booster for Parvo...socialization is so incredibly important (especially with an APBT like Lily but that's another story) that I felt the benefit outweighed the risk...
From reading the directions on the shots (since I give them myself) it says they are good to go after a booster...so if they get 1 shot at 8 weeks and then the booster at 12 weeks (the 4 weeks apart thing) the risk is minimal.

That's my opinion, though he may be feeling a little icky after the shot and may not be all gung-ho to be out running around.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I would not take this puppy out until at LEAST 2 weeks after his second vaccine. Avoiding the risk of parvo, which is ESPECIALLY HIGH this time of year, is well worth the couple weeks of waiting to take him out.

lizzybeth727

I agree with mom2dogs. If I had a puppy he'd be going everywhere possible with me by 10 weeks old (assuming he has the correct vacs at that age).

There is always a risk with puppies getting parvo. The parvo virus, though, is extremely widespread, most dogs come into contact with it regularly. As long as they are otherwise healthy with good immune systems (on a high-quality diet, especially), IMO the benefit outweighs the risk.

You might have to change your plans, though, if he seems sore after the shots. I don't know how common it is, but I know when my dog gets vacs she's sore for DAYS afterwards. She got her rabies the other day, and it took over a week before she was back to normal.... and though she's generally very social, believe me the last thing she wants is to be petted after she gets her shots! But again, I don't know if others go through the same thing.

KaseyCaye

Well I've had to change my plans for the most part - I will still have to go to the work event but will be leaving Diesel with my sister, who also has a puppy around Diesel's age.

When he got his first shot he was absolutely fine, I was surprised because when my cat got her shots she laid on my bed for three days and never seemed to move - it was very scary. I think I will start taking Diesel some places soon, from what I've been reading it is super important to socialize puppies and because he's going to be so big I want to make sure he's really well socialized.

Members online

No members online now.