Anyone here a schipperke owner?

Kay

I don't own them, but one of the ladies who works at a homeopathic vet clinic that I've been taking my rabbit to, has two of them (That I have seen).
They call them "the pixies" :p

They are very sweet!

nancy2394

do you have a pic you can post? I've never heard of them and I'm curious to see what they look like.

Chrissy&B

Oh my god, I was just going to ask whether there are any Schipperke owners on this board :D . I am absolutely crazy about this breed and i'm currently studying breeders in UK.... hopefully by next year we're going to be owned by one of these adorable little devils! :p

Here's a pic of my friend's Schipp babies. Their names are Beira, Biscuit and Bonbon. Beira and bon are very successful show dogs and great Agility dogs as well......

If you have any specific questions just ask. I might be able to answer, though I have some questions for Schipp owners myself ;) .

bubbatd

I think they had bad press in the past... hope the breed really comes back with better breeding.

There is one in Chloe's agility class. Guiness is quite a character and he does great at agility - his only drawback is when he gets to the top of the A-frame he tends to stop so he can take a good look around from such a great vantage point.:)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I've run into a handful of them. Most are pretty sweet, some are bad nippers, some are quite nervous (though I think a lot has to do with owners) but all of them have shed by the bucketful. They would shame a GSD with the amount of hair they lose on a daily basis.

I didn't know they had tails though...I guess all the ones over here are docked. :confused:

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
The ones over here I believe are docked as well.. from what I have seen as well Zoom.

I never really noticed how tiny they were until I saw them at Riots show too! lmao

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Zoom said:
I've run into a handful of them. Most are pretty sweet, some are bad nippers, some are quite nervous (though I think a lot has to do with owners) but all of them have shed by the bucketful. They would shame a GSD with the amount of hair they lose on a daily basis.

I didn't know they had tails though...I guess all the ones over here are docked. :confused:
I think they are Zoom that what I kept seeing when I was looking them up ???

Toller_08

I don't own a Schipperke, but I adore the breed. If I were ever to have a small breed again, this is what I'd get. Chocolate/brown ones are classified as a rare colour, but they are around. By standard though, they should be black so people aren't breeding or the chocolate gene. Personally, I prefer the choc. colour to the black but wouldn't ever support a breeder who specifically bred for colour (especially when the standard calls for only one colour). For those of you who've never seen a chocolate schip here's a page with some pictures of them (the kennel itself is awful, but I'm just posting it because its got a few good pictures of a chocolate Schip).

Chrissy&B

Yes, they DO have tails :p and don't they look cute?? European countries banned docking quite a while ago (ohhh, I'm so happy about that!!) and our judges are quite strict about that.
Cute !!! How's his temperment ??? They got a bad rap in my day .
I believe that, but name one breed that didn't have a bad rep at one point! ;) They are very active little dogs (they're NOT a lap dog) and some people don't seem to understand that. I guess they need as much mental stimulation as other Belgian Shepherds (in Europe FCI places them in the same group with other shepherds FCI 1 group) and people just don't seem to understand. They adopt to all kinds of situations, but they're still very active and if you ask me, early socialization is a must. They were bred as guard dogs and ratters, so they have a bit of a terrier in them as well. Basically..... they posses all the great qualities of a big dog in a small body!! :D
They are great Agility dogs, excel at obedience, great show dogs and fantastic family dogs as they strongly bond with kids and grown ups ......

wolfsoul

I Love My Belgian
I was going to get a sheltie in a couple of years but recently have been thinking more and more about a schipperke. I'll have two Belgians, I might as well have a miniature. ;)

Chrissy&B

I like Shelties as well, but I found out that Schipps have that little devil in their eyes that I simply can't resist :p ..... and they need much, much less grooming!

Chrissy&B said:
I found out that Schipps have that little devil in their eyes that I simply can't resist :p
You hit the nail on the head - that's exactly what I see in Guiness. It's like he's trying to figure out what he wants to do next that'll bring a chuckle or a good natured groan to those around him. You can just see the wheels turning in his head.:D

Members online

No members online now.