Breed Suggestion for Friend

So a co-worker of mine is looking at getting a dog in the nearish future and is trying to decide on a breed.

Needs:

Large. Over 80 lbs and there isn't a cap. She grew up with large dogs and they're her favorite.

Dog friendly. Able to go to the dog park.

People tolerant. She's going to have people coming in and out of their house so being able to except that is a must but they don't have to love everyone.

Puppy.

Other things:

Grooming doesn't matter, she's willing to groom if necessary.

She's more than willing to train as much as needed (but I don't believe she's interested in sports)

I think she would like a rather easy going dog that still likes to play and be around his/her people.

She's heavily considering a breeder.

I gave her the forum site so maybe she'll chime in but mostly just asking for suggestions for her!

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
She should join the forum, get a well-bred Saint Bernard puppy, and post thousands of pictures.

Picklepaige

A Dane seems to fit all of those requirements. I'm having trouble thinking of another 80+ lb breed that does really well with other dogs.

edit: ah, didn't think Berner and St. Bernard. For some reason I thought you had said something about a short haired dog.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
She should join the forum, get a well-bred Saint Bernard puppy, and post thousands of pictures.
OMG ignore my previous post. THIS MUST HAPPEN!!!

If I ever got a giant breed, it would be a St. Bernard, no question.

She was actually thinking of a Berner and a St. Bernard is a good one too!

Health wise though what are we talking? I know the basics of most giants (Cancer, hip etc.) but not very many specifics.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug

Health wise though what are we talking? I know the basics of most giants (Cancer, hip etc.) but not very many specifics.
Tell her that if her breeder isn't using bernergarde database to find another breeder. It's such a great resource that they all should be using it. You can look up dog on there and trace their lines and see what kind of problems they've had.

And something no one seems to share about Berners is they like to swallow things... Whole. Like mittens and towels and socks an bully sticks. My friend insists its a common thing for the breed.

Lyzelle

Yeah, many giants do have health issues. Heart problems, cancer, joint, etc seems to be the most common. Lower down the list you have epilepsy, eye issues, bloat, etc. Also, bigger the dog, naturally the more destructive they are in their teenager "chew everything" years. I knew one that went through a wall. Just something to be on the watch for, especially when you get into those breeds prone to separation anxiety.

English mastiffs, if acquired from a good breeder, typically aren't DA, love their people, a little stubborn but awesome people dogs. Bullmastiffs and French Mastiffs sometimes have a bit more DA, depending on the lines. I was going to suggest Berner and St. Bernard too.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew

For Saints I've always heard ~9-10 years, but I don't know what specifically tends to get them.

There are Newfies too. Pretty much all the ones I've met (one exception) have been giant sweet lovebugs and very personable.

Dane :)

Berners are awesome but health problems are more rampant (especially cancer)

St Bernards....they seemed to have changed a lot on the whole as of late but ones like I had growing up would be awesome.

Or what about an Irish Wolfhound?

Saeleofu

I thought Berner as well. Or the right dane. There's a breeder not far from me that breeds danes for longevity. It's not uncommon for them to get into their teens.

Aleron

Berners are a "heartbreak breed". Very probe to early cancer and it doesn't matter how well bred they are :(

An 80lb+ range doesn't have to be a giant breed. My collie was 82lbs at a good weight and 26", great with other dogs, good with all people, good house dog, etc. Greys can be in that range, as well as the bigger sight hounds. Some foxhound and coonhound lines can get pretty big but not sure on the weight. Bloodhounds are big dogs and some can be really cool, more athletic then you'd think. I think Setters can be up to 27" tall, so that would probably be in the right size range if she went to the right breeder. They might be too high energy though.

Saeleofu

An 80lb+ range doesn't have to be a giant breed. My collie was 82lbs at a good weight and 26", great with other dogs, good with all people, good house dog, etc. Greys can be in that range, as well as the bigger sight hounds. Some foxhound and coonhound lines can get pretty big but not sure on the weight. Bloodhounds are big dogs and some can be really cool, more athletic then you'd think. I think Setters can be up to 27" tall, so that would probably be in the right size range if she went to the right breeder. They might be too high energy though.
Collie meets everything except the size. Some collies certainly are 80+, but Logan's 26" and 72 pounds (he would use a couple pounds extra...I think 74 or 75 would be optimal for him). Female tend to be much smaller than that, and some are downright tiny.

How set is she on size? What kind of dogs did she grow up with? I grew up with GSDs, with males in the 80-120 pound range. I've found I actually prefer a slightly smaller dog, but still large. Logan's my perfect size.

Many of the giant dogs are DA/DR or have major health issues, or both.

80 was on the low end, she would like a large dog in the Dane, Berner, St. Bernard size range. And it's right up there as one of the top needs. She grew up with big dogs and prefers them.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll pass them on. I'd anyone has any breeders for those dogs suggested feel free to pm me!

BostonBanker

Leonberger was my first thought as well. They are my favorite giant breed, and from what I have heard, a bit less prone to the common giant dog health issues.

Leonberger was my suggestion to her as well!

I really like the one I met and what I've read about them they seem to fit what she is looking for. Anyone know any breeders?

Members online

No members online now.