Inappropriate and child abuse, or innocent bath time?

LauraLeigh

This picture is circulating as evidence of depraved child abuse.. Portraying the man as a "pervert"

What are your thoughts? I'll withhold mine for now.....

JacksonsMom

I mean... it doesn't LOOK wrong to me. But it's hard to tell anything from a single picture. My young sister used to hop in the shower with her dad when she was really young (like 2 ish) before she knew any better. Once she knew more about the fact that boys and girls have different parts, well, yeah that's when it got more awkward and didn't happen anymore lol.

I had a photo somewhat similar with my dad when I was around 3. We were in a hot tub though, and I had my shirt off, but I think I was holding on to his back.

Airn

I don't see anything wrong in this picture.

No private areas are showing. Is there a story behind it? Or is the picture the only thing that people are freaking out about?

Barbara!

I guess it depends on the child, honestly, and how developed that child is and aware of sexuality. But I think that if this was a Mom and a baby boy, no one would have any issues.

Saeleofu

I used to take baths with my dad or brother when I was really little. There's NOTHING wrong with that picture!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I guess it depends on the child, honestly, and how developed that child is and aware of sexuality. But I think that if this was a Mom and a baby boy, no one would have any issues.
That was my first thought. I think it's a cultural thing that people are having trouble with.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Yeah, I'm not really seeing a problem. I think it's sad it's being made into one, though. But who knows, I guess.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I'm reminded of the uproar over the bath scene in My Neighbor Totoro since it's a father bathing with his two daughters. In that instance it really is just a cultural difference. For some reason in western culture it's ok if the parent is female but not ok if the parent is male.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Give me a break. Child abuse? Assuming it wasn't some random guy and a random child but a father and daughter.. Where is the abuse? Just because they are in the bathtub together? Brian has been in the tub with Hannah before. He got in the tub with her at disney (jacuzzi tub) but he wore his bathing suit out of personal preference but you wouldn't know that from the photo. Hannah also walks in on him in the shower or on the toilet regularly stating "I HAVE TO PEE RIGHT NOW" lol

I still bathe with her from time to time and she sees me naked almost daily lol.

The genuine happiness on te childs face tells me nothing sinister is
Going on there. It is a shame that people villify men sight unseen and just assume they are up to no good. Maybe... Just maybe... He is just trying to be a
Good father.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I'm reminded of the uproar over the bath scene in My Neighbor Totoro since it's a father bathing with his two daughters. In that instance it really is just a cultural difference. For some reason in western culture it's ok if the parent is female but not ok if the parent is male.
Family bathing is pretty normal in Japan.

With the amount of bubbles, you can't even tell if they're actually naked though. Maybe dad throws on a pair of swim trunks if a kid is in the tub.

Barbara!

I guess I can ALMOST see the reason for the bias. A very high percent (can't remember the exact percent, but it's over 90) of rapists/molesters are male. I'm not justifying the stereotype, but maybe that's the reason for it.

I think that if this child is aware of sex and is developed enough to be aware of her own sexuality... Then maybe this isn't okay. However, I know at that age (she looks maybe 4 or 5?) I didn't have a clue and this wouldn't have been an issue for me. Also, he could certainly be wearing swim shorts.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Family bathing is pretty normal in Japan.

With the amount of bubbles, you can't even tell if they're actually naked though. Maybe dad throws on a pair of swim trunks if a kid is in the tub.
Yeah that's what I meant. The taboo against family bathing/family members of the opposite sex bathing is a western culture thing.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
It's a child in a bath with what appears to be a parent..there is nothing overtly sexual or sinister.. both child and parent look happy.
not sure why people would take offense. If it were a mother and a son there would be no issue.

I understand child abuse is a problem, especially sexual abuse, that is not a laughing matter.
But it doesn't mean we have to vilify and be suspicious of EVERY adult male father around female children or make grand assumptions about a single photograph

LauraLeigh

I don't know any backstory other than the picture being posted and people making nasty, sometimes very CRUDE racial comments as well.....

It's sad, to me this is an innocent picture... It's sad people make it into something else...

Kind of like people who flip a lid over innocent baby pics, or one of a toddler running around with nothing on but dads work boots and hard had!! That's cute and great blackmail fodder at family gatherings when said son gets older.... LOL

LauraLeigh

It's a child in a bath with what appears to be a parent..there is nothing overtly sexual or sinister.. both child and parent look happy.
not sure why people would take offense. If it were a mother and a son there would be no issue.

I understand child abuse is a problem, especially sexual abuse, that is not a laughing matter.
But it doesn't mean we have to vilify and be suspicious of EVERY adult male father around female children or make grand assumptions about a single photograph
You said how I feel far better!!! Thanks!

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Assuming it wasn't some random guy and a random child but a father and daughter.. Where is the abuse? Just because they are in the bathtub together?
^Yep. Pretty much what everyone else said.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I hate to say it.. but looking at the comments, it's also a very sad fact that the reaction would be nowhere near as bad if both child and parent were white :(

Members online

No members online now.