Local breeder don't want inspections

wildwings811

a.k.a: agilitydobemom
In the local newspaper there was an article stating that the USDA wants to put regulations on breeders who produce more than 5 litters of pups per year and I am all for it they would require inspections of the kennels and owners to pass certain regulations

This lady was stated in the article as saying "the feds have better things to do than inspect dog breeders" she made me so mad what does she have to hide what is your opinion about the USDA putting regulations on breeders?

Meggie

My opinion is that THIS is the way to go in combating puppy mills. Inspecting kennels has to be cheaper than rescuing and rehabilitating abused animals. As it is now, the SPCA is powerless unless there's blatant cruelty and abuse happening. Then the millers just move operations or wait a couple years and start again anyway.

Bringing attention to a singular puppy mill operation may make us feel good and possibly do their business some damage, but in the big picture it does very little. With legislation and laws, puppy millers won't want to blatantly advertise and bring attention to their practices. Without cheap and easy advertising (there are a LOT of dicey online classified services), their business is less profitable. Less profit, fewer mills. Also, with more legal control over the care of these animals, five litters a year hopefully won't be profitable enough for them.

"the feds have better things to do than inspect dog breeders", what a lame, last-ditch, argument. I'm sure the feds have a good grip on the concept of creating an organization and delegating the responsibility properly.

Dixie

The ***** idiot
The USDA doesnt do enough as it is. They are supposed to coordinate with APHIS (Another Fed entity), but they depend entirely too much on an outdated honor code, because there are some less than honorable breeders out there that will breed every female every cycle just to turn a buck.

Because of these supposed breeders, it often puts a bad name to the honorable breeders that truly do care about what they are doing. While my state is a puppy mill hotbed, I do know several good breeders and good kennels that I would trust my dog with.

A good breeder will only have 2 to 3 litters per year and have them from 3 to 5 females, and a number of studs. This ensures that each female gets at least a full year to recuperate from her litter. they also ensure the health of their litters getting both parents health checks such as OFA and CERT and requiring the same for their pups at 24 mos of age to ensure a sound puppy. a good breeder will be up front with you and if you ask for documentation, they will provide it. AKC papers alone are no longer enough with todays breeders. The mother should be on-site with her litter. And they have clean kennels with plenty of food and water available.There should also be a sturdy dog house that is big enough to accomodate mom and pups (oftne called a whelping house). Also ask around from previous purchasers of this breeder, ask if they were satisfied, what they liked what they didnt like. Also the kennels should be clean and immaculate, and NEVER take a pup less than 8 weeks. (some people say 6 weeks, I recommend 8 weeks).

Again at this point the USDA doesnt do enough to curb puppy mills and bad breeders, so its up to the buyer to make sure they are not purchasing from a bad breeder.

-Dix

wildwings811

a.k.a: agilitydobemom
I totally agree and I think that it is a good idea the the USDA finally steps up and puts some regualtions on dog breeders and if you have nothing to hide then what is the problem

bubbatd

I agree !!!!! Yes, I had a Kennel name, but have never bred more than one female at a time , and at that always 2 years between litters. Never more than 2 0r 3 litters. I've never known a good breeder with 5 brooding b*tches ! I've said before, I believe in regulations and fees for breeding .

Dixie

The ***** idiot
Bubba,
Alot of the bigger kennels (such as Candlewood and War Eagle Retrievers) usually have around 5 bitches, and they usually have anwhere from 2-3 litters per year, rotating the females, giving them a year off to fully recuperate and just be a dog. Sometimes the females wont be bred for up to two years. And they have several stud dogs, some of them on lease, some out of their own lines. and they put ALOT of work into each breeding assuring a high quality litter.

I can tell you the people at War Eagle have the dogs interest in mind, I have had the opportunity to meet MR. Derek Randle, who is a co-owner of this kennel. He has a genuine love for the dogs, and does extensive work to make sure each puppy goes to a good home (preferrably a working home). I could never afford a War Eagle dog, but I have seen them in action, and they are well worth the money and effort.

But I will also add that my own dog is not out of a jet fueled breeding, this was a avg. joe breeding. I did my homework and assured myself I wanted a pup from this litter. I spent time with the litter and made my selection. I ended up taking the leader. Im hoping to take this avg. joe pup and make a champion out of him, just seeing if it can be done.

-Dix

Members online

No members online now.