Not sure what's wrong

winston

On sunday my dog started gagging and coughing. At first I thought maybe she just had something lodged in her throat, but its continued for the last few days. Occasionally she'll gag something up. I haven't heard her bark or make any noises whatsoever in this past few days, which leads me to believe somethings wrong with the throat.

We took her to the vet this morning, and he is running some tests for heartworms and for pneumonia.

I think the problem may be due to bleach we put in one of the rooms to kill mold. I think maybe she inhaled too much of it, since she began coughing and gagging that night.

Any ideas? :(

avenlee

The bleach could very well be the problem. Is it possible to close off the room and open the windows to air it out? I'm sure others can comment with ideas for your dog. But I would definately start with airing out the room.

Saje

Island dweller
Ugh. Bleach is horrible. I hate it. I only use it very occassionally for whites. But I hate to even do that. :(

That could be the problem. Did you tell your vet about that?

winston

Yeah, I told the vet. He said its possible that her lungs or throat may have been burned or irritated, and that he'll look into it.

After reading into Kennel Cough, she's experiencing alot of the symptoms. Except for one big thing--she's around no other dogs, and is mostly a house dog. But according to the person watching my dog earlier, she coughed up a little white discharge, which is also associated with Kennel Cough. Is there any way she could be infected with the bacteria without being around other dogs?

Hi,
I rescued my dog honey from the shelter. When i got him he had kennel cough they gave him a shot and antibiotic. He got rid of it!! Those were he symptoms he had the coughing and spitting up. Sfter we got the shot and atibiotic he got rid of it around a week! My mom said you get Kennel cough only from other dogs. Your dog was probaly affected by the bleach i would do what that other person said air out the bleach and also get her to drink as much water as possible put ice in the water to get them to drink it ( might be messy). When i inhale to much bleach i cough alot so it was probaly the bleach if it doesnt go away withing a week from now i would take her back to the vet. Hope this helps!
~!~Mandy~!~

Saje

Island dweller
I wonder if yogurt would help...

And you should feed electrolytes to help with dehydration if you haven't already.

Members online

No members online now.