Loose Leash

Lucas

I recently aquired a border collie/lab pup, and have a few questions about raising it.

Sage is about 3 months old now and I want to get the training off on the right foot. One problem on my mind lately is the loose leash problem, obviously sage likes to pull when we are walking, and i'm told leash training can begin right away, but how am I supposed to walk my dog for exerise when i should be training her in small amounts.

Example, start leash training by practising with small distances, so I was thinking my backyard or whatever, but now i can't walk my dog in the morning and at night?

Kind of confused. Sorry if this sounds jumbled.

poodlesmom

At 3 mos. you aren't looking for obedience level "heeling" but manners by what you are saying. Whenever we walk our furpals it isn't always necessary for them to be in the heel position right at our side but it is quite acceptable to expect them not to pull. One way to work on this is when you are out for regular walks with your pup if she is getting close to where she'll be pulling you make a quick change in your direction while in a happy voice speak to her. You can vary to direction changes - right, left, complete about face. Your goal is to teach your pup to always be alert to you & where you are so that altho she make look away she will make sure to keep her eye on you & where you are headed. As she progresses and learns to "heel" you can incorporate a "release" word to let her know she doesn't need to stay right at your side and she can venture further.

If you are able to she is at a great age to start puppy school. It is alot of fun for both of you and a great resource to learn different approaches.

Members online

No members online now.