Leash training

My 9 wk-old puppy will rarely walk calmly on a leash with me (my husband says he's fine with him). He bites the lead and holds on for dear life (and fights staying on my left). Somewhere in chaz I read that I could try a fine-chain leash because he wouldn't like the feel of metal in his mouth. Found a chain leash today and tried it--no luck! I also picked up an 18-inch soft training collar for his 15-in neck (which I do know how to put on and position) but it must be too long because he can still grab hold of it. So I took off the trainer and attached the metal leash directly to his flat collar, but still no luck. Previously I sprayed his nylon leash with Bitter Yuck and when that had no affect, tried half a bottle of tobasco sauce. No luck. I don't know why my husband has no trouble but I think the dog is a little scared of him because of his deeper voice (although I do growl and shout NO very impressively, I think). Any more suggestions?

Just my opinion, but I think you are going overboard with this very young baby. He is just playing and getting you all worked up. There are several things you can do. If you want him to stop grabbing the leash, just stop moving. This would probably work better on an older dog, but it's worth a try.

For me and puppies that age, everything is about play. Try this. You're outside all leashed up and ready to go. Use your excited voice to distract the pup. Run a little. Then say "Oops! Other way!" and change direction. Then change again. Walk in circles. Bend down and play with him. Walk, and then change directions again. Do not pull the leash. I wouldn't even worry if he grabs it. You want to teach him that being out with you is lots of fun - more fun than grabbing the leash. Right now he is focused on the leash - get his attention with positive activities, not negative ones. I would change your focus and think fun, fun, fun.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
You also may want to do some work on getting him used to having a leash on. Many puppies don't want to use a leash at first. When you are home with him and keeping an eye on him put his leash on and just let it drag behind him. he will get used to the leash being there and then it will not be such a big deal when you put it on him.

But y es ignoring him when he exhibits that behaviour will help A LOT

Members online