fostering a previously kenneled pup

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Ok, i usually crate train, but our shoer told me about this pit bull (or mix, I'm not sure) that is in dire need of rescueing from the shelter & they need someone to ffoster her, the thing is she's been living in those kennels for a while & i was wiondering how should i go about housetraining her, should i crate train her? My dogs usually only come in at night & stay out all day only one is crated, Buddy.

so... how should i go about this?

Tazwell

It honestly depends on the dog. Some that are kenneled for extensive periods of time have issues with being crated, as they are used to pottying in their living space. However, the vast majority of dogs I have pulled from shelters and kennels have no issues adjusting to crate training.

I would start her in the crate with overly frequent potty breaks to help her stay on track. Whenever I bring a new dog into the house, I begin training as if they were no more house trained than an 8 week old puppy!

crazedACD

The dog shouldn't have problems adjusting to a crate. Are the dogs supervised outside during the day, or do you leave them out while you go to work? Honestly, given the breeds involved, I don't think I would leave them out unsupervised. Not uncommon for both ACDs and Pits to brawl even if they have been fine. Quite the majority of pits I've known would dig out or get over a fence if left outside all day to their own devices.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
No, they are only left outside if someone is home, if no one is to be home the dogs come inside to their own seperate beds/crate & are let back out when someone arrives back home. Josefina used to be a big time escape artish also, but i did a lot of mental/phsyical excersise with her as well as TONS of rewarding for "choosing" to stay around the house (fenced yard is about an acre but i can see every inch of the fence from the house's picture windows) if i saw her milling around by the fence i would call her back for a tug or a yummy high value treat & it worked! plus, they come in at night to eat they soon want to stick close to the door LOL but just to reinforce that, i often even now will randomly go out there when i see all the dogs are around & give them all high value treats (i have cubed cheese for just this purpose) several times throughout the day with lots of praise.

not saying this will work with this dog but its worth a try, i spend a lot of time out there "working" with the dogs & playing & interacting with them.

as for Josefina's issues with other dogs, they have seemed to have resolved on their own since she "matured" (she's 2 now & once she neared 2 it all seemed to stop for some reason) perhaps she just took a while to get out of the teenage stage (which she hit late anyway) i have never had a dog hit the teenage stage that late & stay in it that long but i guess every dog is different LOL. Buddy gets along with everyone, i havent seen a dog he doesnt get along with but he does tend to play rough even though he doesnt mean anything by it i know some dogs can take it the wrong way, so i know i will have to do some super supervising if this happens.

Members online