Jasmine 1995-2009

Memories of Jasmine

Jasmine came into our lives in 1995. My daughter and her sisters kept her hidden for months from their Dad. He was not a fan of having a pet in the house. Thus the nickname, "Big Bad". When the girls would leave, Jasmine was hidden in a packback and taken along with them. If Jasmine was in the house area with us and Dad came into the driveway everyone shouted, "Big Bad is home" and even Jasmine would scurry off to their bedroom. As time passed and the girls went on with their lives, Jasmine stayed here with me. But she still was made to stay out in the girls room whenever "Big Bad" was home. When my first grandchild was born, I went to FL for a week but did not take Jasmine. So "Big Bad' became the unwilling caretaker. Jasmine was so afraid of him, that the first three days she refused to come out of the room, even to go potty. Can't recall for how long Jasmine's sentence of not being allowed in the 'house' continued, but in time Jasmine made him open up his heart to her.
In '07, my mother in law moved in with us and since she is a cat person, Jasmine only acknowledged the fact that she was here. By now, Jasmine had free rein of the home, went on 'road trips' was our child. She even went with Dad on errands without me. Once when my mother in law was not feeling well and was resting on the sofa, Jasmine took it upon herself to give comfort (her #1 trait). She jumped up there beside her and snuggled. That's all it took was that one time. She opened up her heart to Jasmine.

Even though Jasmine gave much love to us, little children were her favorite people. As more grandchildren came into our lives and visited, they were welcomed by 'the kissing machine'. She would kiss their face until they were laughing so hard they could not breathe. But each one of them opened their hearts to Jasmine. When outside, if our neighbors' grandchildren were outside, she would hear their giggles and rush over there to join and thus become 'the kissing machine' again. Each one of them knew, she would be here for them and provide this tradition. So after arriving, they would just lay down on the floor and let her attack!

In 2005, after months of Dad 'sharing' everything (he'd take a bite, he'd give Jasmine a bite) she developed pancreatitis. That week of Jasmine not here with us, nearly broke my heart. I visited her everyday encouraging her to get better. Tears would fall each day for I was fearful of her outcome. When she was able to come home, I never left her side. Daddy willingly stepped in as 'fill in' caretaker and stopped all that 'sharing'. That's when she was permitted to go everywhere with us, road trips, errands. She just had to 'go' and would give me that sad puppy dog look if I told her it was too hot outside and she had to stay home. The only time she was not interested in going with us, was the day after our 3 week long trip to TX and CO, Sept 08 to visit with her Aunts. I guess she had had enough car riding to last her awhile.

Jasmine was 'the comforter'. In '06, a back injury caused me to be flat on my back for 6 months. She refused to leave my side. Providing me comfort day and night. Jasmine ate there, drank there in my bed with me. My husband had to carry her outside for she was not willing to leave me. I do believe that without her, the depression I was feeling at that time, would have consumed my soul.

After my recovery, life went back to normal. Always getting me up at 5:30 AM for breakfast. Always reminding me it was 3 PM and time to eat. Always wondering why I was not in the kitchen at 5 PM to being preparing dinner. Where ever I was, Jasmine was right there. In the house, in the yard, it didn't matter. In the summer, when the heat reached unbareable temps, I'd take her inside but she would remain at the door watching. When I would go into the pool to cool off, Jasmine would be on my float, but never in the water. She just was always there. A constant prescence in my life.

Jasmine enjoyed her little games with Daddy: will you please share your food looks, chase the puppy when not on a leash in the yard and find me a lizard barking. Jasmine would pop up from her bed if she heard the bread wrapper, heard the frig open, anyone headed toward the kitchen area. Whenever he was in the kitchen carving meat, she sat there virtually motionless, eyes fixed on his every move in search of that morsel that just might fall. When dessert time rolled around, she would set by his side on the sofa, just cute as could be and wait for her share. But after her bout with pancreatitis, the sharing was not as often. In the morning strolls thru the yard, we'd tell her we were heading to the house. Jasmine would stop dead in her tracks and wait for Daddy to 'chase the puppy' and run from him in the opposite direction. While checking out the flower beds, if she found a lizard, Jasmine would bark signaling Daddy to come, no matter where he was, and catch it for her. As she aged, the games were not as frequent but Jasmine never lost the desire. She was always a puppy at heart.

In thirteen years, many memories. Some shared by my children and grandchildren. My son said it will not be the same when he comes home. Jasmine would always run to greet him, then smell his truck to see where 'little children' were. When he did not bring them, she would just walk away as if he was not there. Both my sons remember how they would have to fight for space on the sofa with Jasmine (making her move out of their way). If anyone was in a prone position, she just had to be there with you to share! She had to! When the girls would bring home their furbaby, that was acceptable, but she was going to sit in your lap. This past weekend, my 5 year old granddaughter came for a visit, her first without Jasmine. She was talking about how much she missed her and we went outside to find Jasmine's star. She located one and renamed it Jasmine and sang her a song. All I could do was cry. It was beautiful. So many memories, so much love.

In July 09 (Jasmine was now 13) her age had caught up with her. Incontinence began. And as a good parent, I went to the Vet for advice. Her heart murmur was only a 4 out of 10 and she prescribed Enalapril for that, but the ProIn (I was not given a Client Information Sheet before I ingested the first dose or Jasmine would not have been given it) would not begin until July 9. The day my nightmare began! The morning after her first dose, Jasmine did not get me up to eat, was not interested in food all day. I approached the Vet after 5 days and she stated there were no adverse reactions to this drug. Well, to make a long story short, she went into kidney failure. My child, my companion, my friend, my reason for existing was now dying. Many days passed after I stopped the drug and she began vomiting etc. When they could not help stop this, I changed Vets. And I do regret not taking her to him initialy. He was her very first Vet but had moved about 20 miles from us. Jasmine was so at ease there. Paws on the counter, knowing she was where she would be helped. Jasmine took her fluid treatments willingly. They remembered her as the 'wild child' when she would come visit. They sent me flowers on 09-4-09, they sent a card, he didn't even bill me. He made her last weeks as comfortable as possibly and I will forever be indebted to him for doing this for Jasmine. She suffered for 57 days after her initial dose of ProIn. I had to help Jasmine to The Bridge 09-04-09 and part of my heart died that day. She gave me 13 years of unconditional love and companionship and in the end I let her down. I gave her the drug that escalated her underlying illness. I could not reverse the damage. I could not save her. Tears flowed from many eyes that day. And for me it has continued. Neither one of us can say her name out loud without the eyes tearing. She was loved that much and missed that much.

I promised Jasmine, that I would not rest until everyone was aware of all adverse reactions from this drug. I would not rest until laws were in place that required Vets, acting as the pharmacist when they dispense drugs, provide a Client Information Sheet which allows US to make a choice in the care of our furbaby.

The tears flow like a river as I write Jasmine's story. The heartache is still present. The void in still there and always will. No other furbaby touched my heart and soul like Jasmine was able to do. All who knew her loved her. She had a way of snuggling close to your heart.

Jasmine is now at The Rainbow Bridge. Free from pain. Free to eat and run with her big cousins, Hambone, Shakes and Budley. With wings attached, fly free and watch over all of us and protect us.

You made our house a 'home' and it will never be the same here. Jasmine's final resting place is in a spot in the flower garden where she would always chose to 'weed eat'. And the following day, the flowers bloomed.

I feel such sympathy for your pain and loss, Cheryl. Losing them is even more difficult when we have to second guess our decisions, thinking we are doing our best for them, trusting people to do the same for us, when perhaps they do not merit it.

But, she is no longer old, no longer has the piddles, and I would bet, if it hasn't happened already, you will look into a pair of canine eyes one day and know that Jasmine has sent you someone to help fill the empty places.

The love of a dog never dies.

Members online

No members online now.