Positive Clicks Trick Challenge

GoingNowhere

Hopefully I'll find time to get a video of this week's (and last week's) tricks. Boo already knew all from week one, so that should be easy to get on video. She knows the basics of backup and crawl so it's just "kennel" that I need to work on before filming. I'm using a dog bed as her target because we don't crate Boo. :)

GoingNowhere

Boo's video is up. Her 'backup' needs some serious "distance" work :)rofl1:), but I had fun teaching her how to go to her bed.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Question :D

For the "place" trick, is that just the dog being able to find the heel position on command? Is it allowed for the dog to do the traditional front then swing left into a heel, or to go around the back of the legs to a heel position?
I know the way that I've been *wanting* to teach it, but I'm not sure if I have time in just this week with the other tricks.

We started "spin" today, but I'm scared to work on it for more than a minute because I'm scared he will get dizzy :lol-sign:
I'm also being a bad trainer and luring it instead of shaping :eek:, though I will be shaping the "place" if I do it the way I want to.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
This is how my book describes teaching it:

Place = your dog circling behind you to end sitting at your left side
1. stand facing your dog with his leash in your right hand
2. say "place" (or whatever command) and take a step back with your right foot, pulling your dog toward your right side and behind you. Keep your left foot planted
3. transfer the leash to your left hand while returning your right foot next to your left and pulling your dog into position at left side
3. pull up on leash and have dog sit.

For the trick, as long as dog ends up on left side who cares how he gets there. LOL. If someone could chime in that does rally or obedience, which is the better way? A spin backwards into heel or going around back of you?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I have seen a LOT of people recently teaching the dog by putting a circular container in the front position, then teaching the dog to put their paws on that and pivot into a left. This seems to be the way to go now a days, though I believe either is acceptable in traditional obedience, not sure about rally.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
The "place" I got was from the book as its one of the tricks for the Novice Trick Title. I've been doing some box work with my crew, and want to eventually have them do like the video you posted.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
We have only ever done rally-O, never any formal OB, and there has been one time I came across a sign that called specifically to have the dog "go around behind and place on the left" rather than generic "just get your dog in heel." So they are IMO and IME separate commands (for Auggie the first is called "place" and the second "line it up.")

Oh yeah, and PW, I am afraid to teach Auggie spin too, LOL... he'll just spin for hours... dear God! I can't really figure out how to teach that one except to do some luring too. "Back up" was pretty easy to free shape, but "spin" is not something he really does naturally...

So if we just now saw this, can we still participate?

Avril needs to work on her go to crate, but we are working on it.

Also, I am a little confused. We can't use treats for luring, right? But are we allowed to use them as a reward?

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Yep! You can join anytime, just need to make up the previous tricks (or the optionals that I just posted).

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
We can't use treats for luring, right? But are we allowed to use them as a reward?
Uhhh, I must have missed this part, lol.
If we aren't allowed to lure than some of these tricks I am not going to be able to do as Frodo does not offer all of them.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
You can use any method to teach, everyone (and every dog) learns different. The "end trick", the one you videotape they should be able to do it with just a verbal or hand signal.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I suck at this game :lol-sign:

I don't know if I am just a sucky trainer or Frodo learns slow because it takes forever for me to get behaviors from a lure to a signal. Oh well.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
^that brings teh happy in this house! :D
I want to try and get a vid of him doing ALL the stuff.

Hopefully my power cord gets here sooner rather than later, in time for that deadline. Otherwise, no vid.

Members online

No members online now.