Johnny Walker and Shy Girl. Rest in peace.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Johnny passed away last night. He never fully recovered from the sickness that I posted about a couple of months ago, but he'd been outside and walking around pretty happily.

He was the best drake I've ever known. He was gentle and kind to his hen and to Aurelia, and smart enough to freeze when Charlie ran up and pointed him so he wouldn't get bitten.

We'll miss you old man.

Shy Girl fell ill at the same time and couldn't handle the weight loss. We lost her that night, I never posted about it, it was too hard at the time. We miss her too.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I am sorry, he looked like a great companion and I was hoping he was all right after his crisis.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Thanks guys, it really means a lot.

It felt like he was on borrowed time. He never quite got back up to his former weight, and walked a little slower than before. I didn't notice until the big storm yesterday that his oil glands had stopped working, his feathers were dry and not waterproof at all, so I think his body was just shutting down at that point. He had a very happy and comfortable two months, and passed peacefully in their little straw nest box.

We got him another hen shortly after Shy Girl passed because he was so down by himself he didn't look like he could pull through without a bird friend. He perked right up and was inseparable from Xochitl for the rest of the time he was with us. Now she's alone, and she's taking it very hard. I don't really want to look for another drake this soon, but we're going out this weekend to look for one. It's not fair for her to be completely alone just because we humans feel the need to grieve in our way.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
:(:( *hugs* I'm so sorry, your ducks were some of my favorite animals to look at. I always enjoyed pictures of them and was hopeful when you brought Johnny back from his sickness. *more hugs*

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'm so sorry. :(

I loved your ducks, they were just awesome to look at and they seemed so personable too.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
THat is so sad. I hope they are together now. Rip Johnny and Shy girl. Sorry sorry. It's hard to watch such sweet creatures fall ill and not recover like that despite all your good efforts.

Members online

No members online now.