The Official "What are you reading" Thread

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Just finished a Laurien Berenson dog mystery book and am now reading "Pushed: The painful truth about childbirth and modern maternity care" by Jennifer Block.

milos_mommy

Cowboy and Wills - Monica Holloway (a great dog story and a great story for parents of autistic children)

Invitation to a Beheading - Vladimir Nabokov

I'm reading Ship of Magic, the first of the Liveship Traders series by Robin Hobb. It's not as good so far as the Farseer Trilogy but I like it :)

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I just got The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein and I'm going to start it now.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I just finished The Charlemagne Pursuit by Steve Berry

It was all right. Took some time to get through it and, once again, they got to the end where the writer just got bored or something and tied a neat ribbon around the whole plot and they lived happily ever after.

I just started My Boyfriend's Dogs by Dandi Daley Mackall

I'm only a chapter in. I literally just started this morning while getting ready for work. The jacket teaser reads, "Bailey Daley is about to discover that true love and man's best friend have more in common than she ever dreamed. Seeking shelter from a rainstorm, Bailey and her three dogs stumble into a St. Louis café that's just closing down for the night. One look at Bailey - from her wet dogs to her drenched prom dress - and it's obvious the girl has a story to tell. With the stormy night ahead of her, Bailey unfolds the tales of Adam and Eve and Shirley, the three dogs she's won, and the three loves she'll never forget."

Sounded interesting and it was only 4 bucks for the hard cover at Ollie's :D

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I finished the "My Boyfriend's Dogs" book tonight. I enjoyed it. It's fairly light reading, but it's a good story and I felt like I got to know the dogs in the book, too :)

MPP

petperson
I just finished Thereby Hangs a Tail, by Spencer Quinn. It's a PI novel told from the point of view of the detective's dog/partner Chet. (Who would have been a K-9 officer but for an embarrassing incident at the graduation exercises. It involved a cat.)

Not great literature, but a very enjoyable read. The first book in the series, Dog On It, was also good.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I'm rereading The Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind. But Wizard's First Rule will always be my favorite of that series.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I just finished reading a book of essays by David Foster Wallace. I usually don't like books of essays, but this one was great. It's called "Consider the Lobster". After reading one of those essays I am now going to read Dostoevsky, I think The Brothers Karamazov would be a good choice.

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
Revolutionaries by Jack Rakove

Its a good study on the men who wrote our founding documents. Its a study of their lives up to 1774, whe nthings started to get really heated. It talks about what probably made these men, who were otherwise generally wealthy and prosperous in their own right, risk it all to create a new nation.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Just finnished LKH's new book Bullet. (Or maybe it is Bullets...don't remember.) It was decent. Seems like the series is coming to a close, of which I am greatful. I would rather it had been wrapped up a few books ago then this painful drawing out of the plot line. There's no...suspense to it anymore, just sex and magic solving problems. (Which is good in its own right, I just miss the suspense of the police investigations and the sexual tension between just a few characters.) The biggest OMG moment in this book was when a main character got shot, but then you knew he wasn't going to die because sex and magic fixes everything.

Going to start in next on Jim Butcher's Changes. I already peeked at the ending, because I am bad, and all I can say is Oh. My. God.

And I'm also halfway through Terry Goodkind's Temple of the Winds. I've reread the series often enough that I know what is going to happen, but I still get sucked into the story.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Just recently read "Latham Rising" by Rosenberg and "Flight" by Jan Burke. Currently reading "The Guardian" by Nicholas Sparks.

Members online

No members online now.