How do you qualify homes for your puppies?

bubbatd

I was very disappointed when I wanted to buy a female to keep my line going and went to Bubba's line . They wanted co-ownership and if I didn't want to show , the dog would be fixed . I understand and appreciated their concern ..... they had Championship Dogs ( Meadow Pond ) . To them I could have been a BYB wanting to use their Kennel name ....They bred everything I love in a Golden . Anyway , no more Hawthorn Hill goldens and I've got my Ollie !

R

RedyreRottweilers

I dont see how a SSN is of any importance to a breeder.

A car dealership wants it if you are taking out a loan on the car... they want to check your records, make sure you arent going to default... I get it.

But last time I saw my credit report, I did not see anything on it about my ability to care for a dog.

I understand when a breeder wants to call your vet, or your groomer, or maybe even your neighbor but I dont see how they feel my SSN is any of their business.
You can find current address and employment with a SSN and a birth date.

If someone drops out of sight on me, I want to be able to find them and make sure the dog they have is ok.

It might never happen, but if it DOES, I want to be able to find my puppy.

Once a person writes that information on their contract, it is filed away. It is in no online files. It is on the paper contract only, and it is only for my use if I need to find someone.

And it's just my (and apparently a few others') way of doing things. It is certainly ok if someone does things differently, and it's also ok if someone would rather not provide that info.

Dekka

Just try me..
^^^^ wise course ! Luckily I knew how to contact everyone .
what if they move or change their number and don't tell you? I am dealing with getting a dog back that I bred due to failure of the contract. She changed her number and moved, I only heard through the grapevine what is going on and where she is. I will be asking for at least a DL # in the future, as well as adding what will happen if you don't follow the contract IN the contract.

bubbatd

Most of mine were through friends and family connections . I could contact them today .

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
You can have my phone number. You can have my e-mail. You can have my address. You can have that info for a couple of contacts, such as my parents, who can find me. You can't have my SSN, or my DL#. Its not because I don't trust you, but because those are NOT your business. Period. Unless you have a reason to run a credit check on me, you don't need them. And buying a puppy should not be grounds for a credit check. IF you really want to make sure I have enough money, I'll give you a redacted bank statement.

I don't mean to be rude, but I am so dang tired of everyone and their cousin thinking they are entitled to very private information. Yes, a puppy is a life long relationship. I've been engaged to Mike for 7 years, and he doesn't know my SSN and I don't know his. If my fiance doesn't know my SNN, then you don't need to know either.

You can have my phone number. You can have my e-mail. You can have my address. You can have that info for a couple of contacts, such as my parents, who can find me. You can't have my SSN, or my DL#. Its not because I don't trust you, but because those are NOT your business. Period. Unless you have a reason to run a credit check on me, you don't need them. And buying a puppy should not be grounds for a credit check. IF you really want to make sure I have enough money, I'll give you a redacted bank statement.

I don't mean to be rude, but I am so dang tired of everyone and their cousin thinking they are entitled to very private information. Yes, a puppy is a life long relationship. I've been engaged to Mike for 7 years, and he doesn't know my SSN and I don't know his. If my fiance doesn't know my SNN, then you don't need to know either.
:hail:

Debi

I'm curious, why would you feel you had to track down a puppy anyway? am I understanding then that once a person signs your contract, you feel the right to know where they are for what you perceive is the life of the dog? and if they move, you MUST know about it? so...do you routinely contact every owner you've sold to, and exactly what would tracking them down thru their employer do for you anyway? sorry...so many questions. I think once I've passed the screenings, my dog and my life are my business. I wouldn't even consider giving a breeder my ss#. besides, even if you track down the owner....who is to say they can't just tell you anything anyway. that said, there's no purpose for you to have that personal information. I've never known anyone that wasn't happy to keep in touch with the breeder...updates...pics...a bond. BUT.......they don't own me.

Because sometimes you hear through the grapevine that the owners aren't treating your dogs they way they should per contract. Some people buy a dog and sign a neuter contract and never send proof of neuter. Then you have no idea if they are out there breeding and ruining your kennel name or not. If they have ill intentions they might change their phone number or mailing address. How do you think puppy mills and BYB's get their hands on finished champions?

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Then place your dogs neutered or spayed. IF you allow unfixed get to leave your property NOTHING you can do if someone wants to flip you the bird and breed it. You can sue...you can track them down...but until a court of law awards you the dog itself, legally...having an SS is not going to do anything for you.

If you are truly concerned about the future breeding your dog may have in spite of your screenings...then prespay or neuter. If you choose not to...then accept you may have a dog get away from you and need to use legal channels to retrieve it. It is not legal to show up and repossess something you do not own...and possession is 9/10 esp after the owner has invested YEARS of care and $$ into the dog by then...contract or not...property in someone else's care and control must be dealt with and awarded by a court of law.

Debi

wouldn't it be more practical for a breeder to have the neutering/spaying done? that is honestly the most absolute way to insure your line, right? I'm just asking because I'm curious. surely it would be expensive and tedious to track down a puppy that is across the country, so why not take measures to do it before placing?

I signed to have the neutering, and I guess it never occured to me not to do it. lol so providing that proof was perfectly ok with me. beyond that, tho, it's my opinion that the breeder has no say.

Dekka

Just try me..
wouldn't it be more practical for a breeder to have the neutering/spaying done? that is honestly the most absolute way to insure your line, right? I'm just asking because I'm curious. surely it would be expensive and tedious to track down a puppy that is across the country, so why not take measures to do it before placing?

I signed to have the neutering, and I guess it never occured to me not to do it. lol so providing that proof was perfectly ok with me. beyond that, tho, it's my opinion that the breeder has no say.
Its not practical for me to keep all my dogs till they are a year old.

And if the breeder has no say, then why bother with s/n contracts? Many people on this forum will jump up and down if a breeder doesn't have a contract.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Have a contract, in fact have a good legally binding one...but don't assume it..or a SS number is some magical protection from people diddling you. That is the actual point I am making.

Your first line of defense if you are not s/n your dogs before they leave...is imo knowing your buyer and spending the time and energy to really try to forge a bond and convey to them you love this puppy or dog the same way they do, and that you are a person who is not there to interfere or boss them around...but to support and be there when/if needed.

I have dealt with breeders...and it's usually newer ones I have to say...that are incredible control freaks that have buyers afraid to change foods without their permission, or that yank dogs back because they won't feed raw or gave the dog a vaccination they don't like.

I won't deal with folks like that, and I won't be folks like that, life is too short.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
BTW I have bought/sold dogs without a written contract...finished CH or show potential pups..it's all about trust and respect. Old skool and new skool....sometimes the two types do things differently.

The only hard and fast rule in dogs is that there are no hard n fast rules. Adaptation and often your gut feeling is what is really needed.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*

I don't mean to be rude, but I am so dang tired of everyone and their cousin thinking they are entitled to very private information. Yes, a puppy is a life long relationship.
Thank you. I wonder if this is where all future breeders are headed? My SS# is mine and mine alone. No one else may have it and having had my identity stolen once, you better believe the people and companies that I give my ss# are VERY limited.

I understand a breeder needs to know what is going on with the pups that once belonged to them. In that effect, I think it's important to maintain a relationship with the puppy's NEW parents. Once a contract is signed and a puppy is bought, it doesn't belong to the breeder anymore, unless under a co-ownership type thing. If a breeder is worried about keeping contact with new owners, then state that regular contact is mandatory or something like that. God knows that new puppy owners LOVE to share their babies with everyone. :)

And I have to agree with, Debi (I think it was). Just because I have a puppy from a breeder does not mean they own me. I hate the thought of someone having access to personal information that can potentially ruin my life.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Looks like the SS set will be missing out on some great homes...any puppy of mine would be happy to live with y'all...number or not. ;)

Speaking of puppies...I should go feed Cleo...she looks annoyed at me for missing the 8:30am feed LOL.

Members online

No members online now.