4 mo Mini Schnauzer.. need some advice please?

JaeParr

So normally I'm not prone to emotional outbursts, however, today I brought home an mini schnauzer. I did a little research on the breed a few years back, and was waiting for the right time/right place in my life to purchase one. While looking through the paper last night I found an ad for one. I took my MIL out with me to look at him (rein me in, if need be). When I drove up there most have been at least 50 dogs running around. I'm not saying that they weren't well taken care of, but it just seemed a little shady, and I was at the point of loading up as many dogs as I could to take home.

So the story with the yet to be named puppy is that he is 4 months old, and has been in a kennel for awhile. When they let him out he ran and socialized well with the other dogs, basically overly excited to have freedom. He rode home wonderfully, and tolerated my daughter wanting to consistently love on him. After bringing him in I bathed him which went well, and feed and watered him. I've given him space to roam and explore, but he isn't doing the typical snoop, and puppy thing. Could this be a result of being in the kennel too long? Other than socializing him with other dogs, should I start him in an obdience class? I'm just a little worried, because I'd like to correct any issues as soon as possible.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
What do you mean.. what exactly does your puppy do when he is out?

First thing is first.. make sure hes nuetered as soon as you can get him done!!

This will solve any male problems that he might start to develop.

Ex. Marking behaviours, realizing that females can be "fun" when in heat, some times aggresion.

I assume your pup was never taught "house life" manners.
Meaning house breaking routines, feeding routines, what is his, what is yours etc etc.
I think starting manners firstly would be best.

Definately look into puppy classes as soon as possible too! There are socializing classes that you can join up in as soon as your pup has had his 3rd booster shot.
Another thing - make sure that pup was given his puppy shots!! eep.. at 4 months old he should have had at least his first and second puppy booster.
Find out if they had him on a wormer as well!

Also, being a Shnauzer - hes a clip breed. If you'd like to keep him tidy looking research how to clip him or get him to a groomer so he can learn table manners as well ;)

bubbatd

Glad you're here !!! By finding him in an ad and with them having so many dogs , I would say they were a puppy mill or a major BYB. That's behind you , he's yours now and you and we want the best for you & for him . At 16 weeks , you still have to treat him like an 8 week old . He's probably never really been socialized or had much one on one treatment . Yes, records from them and vet ASAP . Do you have a good book to go by ? ( OK folks ! you tell him/her ! ) And yes , I'd say his missed his " investigation " week . When checked out etc ... a puppy class would be great for both of you . Please keep reporting !! Good luck !!!!

JaeParr

So, they claimed to be a rescue home. Right now he's mellow, and sleeping. Tomorrow we're heading to the vet. They gave me a CKC registration form, and a shot record. However, I asked if his shots were given by a vet, and she said no. She stated that she gave them herself. So tomorrow we are heading to the vet on base, and getting a full check out, and getting microchipped. I have a friend thats a groomer, and he's set up to see her as well. While he's not the first dog I've owned, I had a wonderful german shepherd. He's just the first dog that I have owned who I've "rescued". I have a potty training manual from Petsmart, and just ordered some breed books. I apperciate all the advice.

My only other thought is should the people be reported? She claims they are a state approved rescue group. I suppose a little more research on my end will get to the bottom of it.

JaeParr

Thought I'd show off his picture....

Still working on a name. lol... just waiting on some personality to pop through.

Amalthea

wolf girl
AWWWW!!! He is adorable!!! I used to have a dog that looked just like him, he was a stray. I never knew what kind of dog he was, but he might have been a mini schnauzer too. He had the same colors and the same scruffy beard and eyebrows ;) His name was Carlin, after the comedian George Carlin.

Shirrell

No, I would not worry that he did not do the snoop thing. Puppies introduced to a new home or often shy for a day or so and do not feel real adventuresome at that point. He will pop out of that in a day or so and be everwhere.

I just got a Mini Dobie and she stayed pretty close to me for about 5 days, then look out, I cannot keep up with her.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Awwwwwww he's cute! I had a mini schnauzer when I was a young girl and he was incredibly loyal. I never forgot him, in fact I still have his collar and tags. I know that sounds odd, but he meant that much to me. He was actually one of two schnauzers we had, but he was all mine. They both seemed to be "one man dogs" though.

I can tell you this, he will be a great watch dog. Nothing got by mine. Judging from your description of the place where you got him, consider him a rescue, get him to the vet like planned, and start all over again.

Kiss him on the nose for me.

Net4n6

Congrats on your MS. I have a 4 months MS too. He is a darker S/P. Mine has 3 generations of champ. His name is Rocky.

showpug

How about "Archie" for a name? LOL!

He's a doll by the way. Looks so sincere and glad that he's loved.

As far as getting him to class, yes, do it ASAP! Next, you can't live without the book How To Raise A Puppy You Can Live With by Rutherford and Neil. This book will tell you about the different periods in a puppy's life and what they mean to his eventual outcome as an adult dog. It will help you with all your questions, it's a must have book!!! It goes into detail about what a puppy should be experiencing during different times in his life.

For now, I would work on letting him adjust to a calm, loving environment for a couple of days. Get him on a quality food and let him rest. Soon, I would try to get him used to a lead and collar and start "tethering" him to you while you are in the house. This is where you put a leash and collar on him and tie it to your belt or keep it in your hand. Have the puppy go everywhere around the house with you. Don't make him do commands or anything like that, just have him follow you everywhere and be with you. This will get him used to daily house life and will help him bond to you which is VERY important. It's fun for him too because it helps him get the one on one attention that he desperatley needs at this point.

Good luck :)

Oh, by the way, it's not a big deal that the breeder did the vaccines. Many do. I vaccinate all my own dogs and feel more comfortable doing them myself.

Goobiedogs

MiniSchnauzer Goobiedogs!
Mini Schnauzer owner here!

Hi. I hope i can help you.

I have two minis. A 1.8 mth old boy and a 8mth old girl. I got them both from the same person.

I cant say for sure about where exactly you got him from. Did you do research beforehand? Either way, he is yours now and you will take hte best care of him possible, I am sure.

Immediately take him to the vet. Do not be worried he hasnt done the puppy thing. My two dogs are totally different and opposite in every way, yet they came from the same household.

I do not agree with the statement of getting him fixed asap. For me, I waited until my male was 9 mths old to do it. I was told that a male might have a difficult time growing a beard if you fix them too soon, due to the lack of hormones. So I would not rush to do that. For me, I fixed my male the first time I saw him show any sign of arousal. In his sleep once, he started humping and had a puppy erection, so I decided then that it was time to get him done before he developed humping habits. He always peed on every tree and pole, since we brought him home and still does to this day, but never in my house ever.

Work on training, feeding schedule, potty schedule, etc. Treat him as if he was only 9 weeks old, forget his age and start from scratch. You will quickly learn what he is capable of.

My dogs too had not gotten vaccines by the vet, the breeder did them. I was suspicous too but my vet says they do that sometimes. So dont worry about that. Feed him quality food such as Eukenuba for puppies or Science diet for puppies. High quality puppy food according to recommendations.

He is adorable! When you say kenneled, what do you mean? Do you beleive he was crated a long time during the day? If so, make sure you give him good exercise outside, long walks, etc once he has the 4 mth shots. It is important to socialize him, and make him strong. Crating a dog too long is not good for their hind legs, they need to develop strength in them.

Please write back to me. I want to help you. I am no expert but these dogs have taught me so much, I also read every book out there before getting my dogs. They are my first and only dogs, and I have become quite acquainted with the breed.

JaeParr

Update....

We have a name... Quatro, because well he's the fourth and final child of the household. I have a 5 yr old lil girl, and 18 mos lil boy, 4 yr old kitty, and now Quatro... the fourth, and final to complete the little family. He's all up to date on his shots, the vet says he's looking really good. We've got a feeding schedule, and well he follows me everywhere. He's still fighting the leash, but I expect that to go on for a bit. I've picked up all the recoomend books, and have been doing my reading. I took him to the groomer today, and was a bit shocked when I saw his new "big boy" haircut as the groomer put it. However, he loved the bath, and took well to the groomer. He's taken over the household, and so far hasn't shown much puppy behavior.... chewing, and what not. I've got him in a safe room, instead of a kennel, since the better part of his 4 mos were spent in a keenel for long long periods of time. I'va caught Zoey (my cat) and him snuggled up sleeping, so I'm thinking he's fitting right on it....

Members online

No members online now.