My dog is acting weird and scaring me

stuckknot

Hi everyone. I just signed up to the board and I despreatly need an answer. I have a minature schnazer and he is about 9 years old. Over the past few days while he is sleeping he will get up and put his left front paw close to his face, kind of like he is looking at it and its hurting him, and kind of spin around slowly while yelping loudly. After he does this for a little bit he will quit, lean up against something and just sit there dazed out for about 10 minutes. After that he is normal almost. He is doing this about 5 times a day I would say, and I have NO idea what this is. Me and all of my family are so close to scotty and we need to know whats wrong before its to late =/...any input or information is GREATLY appreciated. PLEASE POST!! THANKS, MIKE

Hi Stuckknot and welcome to the forums.

To be honest, I've never seen that behavior before. My advice is to describe it to your vet and see what he says - or even take him in. It's way better to be safe than sorry!

I hope everything's okay.

Andrew

Doberluv

Take him to the vet a.s.a.p. He may be having some sort of thing related to a seizure. No one online can tell anything. This is something that requires a vet visit. Let us know. My thoughts are with you.

bogolove

Doberluv said:
Take him to the vet a.s.a.p. He may be having some sort of thing related to a seizure. No one online can tell anything. This is something that requires a vet visit. Let us know. My thoughts are with you.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Please take your dog to the vet as soon as possible. It is always better to be safe than sorry. Keep us informed.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I was thinking the same thing..at least some kind of neural activity..possibly a firing nerve..please come back and let us know!

I've had three dogs who suffered seizures. Especially poor Eli who was on phenobarbitol practically his whole life because of them. Definitely sounds like a seizure. When this happens, just be very calm with your baby and reassure him and soothe him as he's going through it. I made the mistake of freaking out the first time Eli had one before he was diagnosed with epilepsy. But, it may not be epilepsy. Dogs can all of a sudden have a seizure without being epileptic. Oh, and get to the vet! Let us know what you hear...

Purr

~3 Mutts~
I was thinking the exact same thing; something sort of like a seizure. I hope Scotty is okay! Let us know what happens!

bubbatd

My poor IB ( Bubba's Mom ) went through a lot of weird ( plus regular ) seizures ....she had a brain tumor. She would look at things, bite at books and things she never had before, and go into a corner and bark . Don't want to scare you, but you do need to see the vet a.s.a.p.. Please keep us posted !! We care.

stuckknot

Wow everyone...this helps alot...We didnt know what was going on but we always sit with him and pet him until he "snaps out of it"...he is going to the vet in the morning...Thanks for all the posts I will definetly let everyone know whats goin on...Thanks so much, Mike

stuckknot

=) OK...I took scotty to the vet today. They did a blood screening test today at the vet. The Doc said that he didnt think it was seziuers that it was...well something else..I cant think of the name but I will post later on when I find the paper..He gave me a type of pain pill for scotty as well as a 5 day dosage of something to help nuroligical problems...He said that he thinks this would help and if it doesnt we would try some seziure medicine. I feel 1 million times better now and so does my family..It has been about 3 hours and no sign of weakness or episodes, hopfully he'll be ok..I will still keep everyone posted..Thanks for everyones inputs and concerns =)

MIKE

stuckknot

Yesss. We gave him the first does of the actual medicine for the disorder. I forgot once again what it was called I promise I will ask my mom when she gets up. but anways. Scotty hasnt had an episode all day today and he has been sleepin for well over an hour peacfully. Hopfully this will keep working for him and fix things =). All of you will know what the disorder is called as soon as my mom gets up but thanks again for everyones post and concerns. I'll be back soon =)

THANKS ALOT, Mike

Members online

No members online now.