Little sister's birthday picture

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My little sister is turning 9 tomorrow, so i'm mailing her a picture I drew of 'her' puppy harry and Beau together. She absolutely adores Harry and he's great with her. I hope she likes it. :)

Ink and watercolors. Wanted to keep it simple and cute.

EDIT: Sorry it's so huge, I keep trying to resize it and I have no idea what's wrong...

Saje

Island dweller
It's great! I'm sure she'll love it. And the pic isn't too big for me. :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
simple and clean and sweet as can be..nice work! I am sure she will be pleased, i know i would.:D

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
thanks! It looked A LOT bigger on the computers at the SCC (we had no internet campus-wide for 48 hours).

I use a medium and a small Faber-Castle PITT artist pen. Before I actually bought those, I used a ball point pen LOL. The art pens work much better.

For line art, I have a nice system that seems to work. I do the regular outline with the small and outline everything. I then go over the outer lines with the medium. Then I fix the hair and even out the outer line with the small. Then I take the small and fix up the inside lines.

Brandyb

thanks! It looked A LOT bigger on the computers at the SCC (we had no internet campus-wide for 48 hours).

I use a medium and a small Faber-Castle PITT artist pen. Before I actually bought those, I used a ball point pen LOL. The art pens work much better.

For line art, I have a nice system that seems to work. I do the regular outline with the small and outline everything. I then go over the outer lines with the medium. Then I fix the hair and even out the outer line with the small. Then I take the small and fix up the inside lines.
Thanks for explaining! You've got a great technique!!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Here's something I made up for another forum asking me about line art (I know it's not really pet art, but it gets the point across):

You need a medium sized pen and a fine point one. I use Faber-Castle PITT artist pens Small and medium.

First, I draw the picture in pencil. It tends to look messy. Sorry about the bad scan, I had to darken it to make the outline show as I draw lightly and it made the shadow show up even more.

I outline it with the small pen. The hair looks spiky here, but that will change.

then I use the medium pen to make the outer outline (does that make sense?) thick.

Then I take the small pen and fix the hair on the outside and make the outline nice and even.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears

Then I take the small pen again and even out and add line thickness to the inside lines.

Voila. That is all. If I want to make a MS Paint friendly template, I use a few more steps in PSP9 and MS Paint to make a nice, MSP friendly outline.

Members online