Girly Stuff

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I miss my nail polish so much :( At work I regularly have to use industrial strength acetone with is obviously not good for the polish. I have some coworkers who swear by these gel nail stuff they get some at a nail place. They can get acetone on their nails and it doesn't remove it. It's their own nails too, not acrylics (which I've had and will never do again).
I've done the gel nail stuff for formal events and was very happy with it :) even as a dog walker..the polish held up very well and did not feel or look strange. and I NEVER wear nail polish lol

I can't paint my own nails, but if I ever got my nails "done"again I would certainly only do the gel kind.

milos_mommy

The gel stuff is AWESOME but crazy expensive here (in NYC it was going for like $90 for a manicure two years ago, no idea if it's come down now.) I had it done once (my roommate's girlfriend was a nail technician or whatever you call them, and she did them for me). It lasted a while but my nails grow super fast so after just a week or two, you could really see it growing out, so even though the stuff stays on for like 6 weeks, if your nails grow remotely fast it doesn't matter. It also seemed like if you continually used it without a break in-between, it might damage your nails.

I'd definitely get it done whenever I needed my nails to stay nice if it wasn't so expensive.

Thought this was an appropriate place for this pic....

This is my daughters polish collection. She proudly set it all up so we could play "nail polish store" and I thought it looked cool so took a pic

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
The gel stuff is AWESOME but crazy expensive here (in NYC it was going for like $90 for a manicure two years ago, no idea if it's come down now.) I had it done once (my roommate's girlfriend was a nail technician or whatever you call them, and she did them for me). It lasted a while but my nails grow super fast so after just a week or two, you could really see it growing out, so even though the stuff stays on for like 6 weeks, if your nails grow remotely fast it doesn't matter. It also seemed like if you continually used it without a break in-between, it might damage your nails.

I'd definitely get it done whenever I needed my nails to stay nice if it wasn't so expensive.
The price has gone WAY DOWN since it's "debut" in my experience.

A regular gel manicure (not french) is $20-40 around here in the city. 45 leaning more towards the more fashionable nail salons
Most common price I got quoted is $25.

I only know this because the first time I got them done it was in NYC for a wedding, and my mani was $30 lol it was a very small nail salon, so by no means the most chique, but still, it was pretty average.

You can get DIY gel kits now too that I know people who have had great luck with. I just enjoy switching colors too often to venture into that

I want to do nail polish but I have super thin nails that split and bend when you look at them so I end up having to keep my nails short so they don't break and hurt.

Speaking of shampoo, I seriously need to find one I like because so far I never had. I tried the 'poo' free for about two or three months but my hair never got to a point where it was nice. Any favorite sulfate free shampoos that aren't super expensive?

crazedACD

I use..lush. Lots and lots and lots of lush stuff. I'm starting to become addicted to buying soaps too, I have a million like 1/4 bars of random (organic) type soaps. Mostly lush but some others too.

I'm reconsidering their shampoo though...I'm having some problems with almost cystic acne on my back, and I'm suspecting it could be the shampoo. I've changed out the soaps I use (and didn't use them for a few days on my back) and didn't see a difference.

Has anyone here ever used Wen hair products? I watched an infomercial and read reviews, it seems like awesome stuff, but I don't know if the reviews are just..padded?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Speaking of shampoo, I seriously need to find one I like because so far I never had. I tried the 'poo' free for about two or three months but my hair never got to a point where it was nice. Any favorite sulfate free shampoos that aren't super expensive?
I found a mass amount of Rockaholic (the salon size bottles) at TJ Maxx recently and bought every bottle they had. It is my favourite by far. When I run out, if I can't find more, I just buy whatever sulfate free they have there. They always have at least one option to pick from. I once found something that a guy at Ulta recommended and it was of course half what it would have cost at Ulta.

Rockaholic did a great job even when I was abusing my hair with dye, flat irons, and various other products - it's still great, I'm just not making it work so hard haha.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I am addicted to nail polish. Omg, it is like my weakness. Trying to decide what color I want to do tonight. I have a minty blazer and a blouse that is white with kind of coral-y flowers on it. Can't decide if I want to go with coral/pinky nails or mint.

Argh....

I am addicted to nail polish. Omg, it is like my weakness. Trying to decide what color I want to do tonight. I have a minty blazer and a blouse that is white with kind of coral-y flowers on it. Can't decide if I want to go with coral/pinky nails or mint.

Argh....
Do both! :)

Like a base of one and polka dots...or do several nails one color and one or two the other.....

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
I know you are only supposed to wash your hair twice a week, and I would LOVE to only have to do it twice a week. BUT , if I wash my hair, the very NEXT day, it I can only wear it in a pony tail, I cannot do anything else with it because it is just TOO greasy. I can only just barely manage to get away with wearing it in a ponytail.

I wash it well, I use good shampoo, I don't let the conditioner touch my roots etc. But my god does my hair ever get greasy.

Any suggestions on how to manage that?

milos_mommy

Has anyone here ever used Wen hair products? I watched an infomercial and read reviews, it seems like awesome stuff, but I don't know if the reviews are just..padded?
I used it really briefly - maybe for 2-3 weeks, when a roommate in the hospital had it and let me share. It was really nice, definitely a very high quality shampoo that made my hair feel/smell/look awesome, but I'm not sure if it's some kind of miracle product that's worth paying the extra $ for.

I know you are only supposed to wash your hair twice a week, and I would LOVE to only have to do it twice a week. BUT , if I wash my hair, the very NEXT day, it I can only wear it in a pony tail, I cannot do anything else with it because it is just TOO greasy. I can only just barely manage to get away with wearing it in a ponytail.

I wash it well, I use good shampoo, I don't let the conditioner touch my roots etc. But my god does my hair ever get greasy.

Any suggestions on how to manage that?
What do you mean by "good shampoo"? Honestly, the only way I have found to combat oily hair is to wash it less and slow my natural oil production down, but yes, in the beginning their can be some oily icky days. Dry shampoo can help with that.

milos_mommy

If you don't want to go entire shampoo free, and even "sulfate free" shampoos are leaving it greasy (after a few weeks...it DOES take at least two weeks and maybe even a couple of months to stop producing so much oil), try washing it with baking soda and using vinegar or apple cider vinegar as a conditioner.

When I switched to shampoo free, my hair looked pretty skeevy about 50% for a month probably. Loooots of braids and headbands/bandanas. And more braids.

If you don't want to go entire shampoo free, and even "sulfate free" shampoos are leaving it greasy (after a few weeks...it DOES take at least two weeks and maybe even a couple of months to stop producing so much oil), try washing it with baking soda and using vinegar or apple cider vinegar as a conditioner.

When I switched to shampoo free, my hair looked pretty skeevy about 50% for a month probably. Loooots of braids and headbands/bandanas. And more braids.
I stuck it out for months with shampoo free and I just never got to a good point. It wasn't really oily but I didn't want to touch my hair at all and it would just stick up in crazy directions. So jealous about people who can do it though.

I am working on only washing my hair every three days or so and hoping to see where that takes me.

Beanie, going to look for that Rockaholic!

Oh yes, I do use shampoo....as much as I love no poo it just never worked long term for me. I still recommend getting down to as infrequent washing as possible. I used to "have" to wash mine everday, now I can often go a week and its still ok.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I would love to get to a point where I can do shampoo free... just haven't got the guts to not wash my hair with shampoo yet... hate hate HATE greasy oily hair.

My hair is shorter now... just recently did an A-line cut to it. It was SOOOO long and ended up donating my hair to locks of love.
Here's my current look....

I just started using oil on my face and hoping it will help. My skin does feel softer sort of, but I'm going to stick with it and see if it starts to really make a difference.

My problem is I have eczema and have a tough time dealing with it... pops up all the time and makes my skin flakey and gross. :(

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Just washed my face with coconut oil and so far so good lol if nothing else my face feels great and smells awesome :rofl1:

I just got my face wet, rubbed a bit all over like a cleaner, got a wet washcloth and soaked with warm water and let it sit on my face for a minute, then kind of wiped off excess and let the rest absorb.

Need to get a bigger tub of the stuff now lol

I just want to throw out there that when everyone's face falls off in a week from doing OCM it's NOT MY FAULT!!!

Members online

No members online now.