Do dogs just know

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I was watching some video that we took of Hannah and Emily together and I love watching them together. Hannah is just so gentle with her and always watches where she's at so she doesn't run her over. Do dogs just know when they need to relax? She's never this calm around me or my husband, even older people, but with Emily she chills out and actually watches what she is doing. Do dogs know when they have to chill out or is this just a wierd thing Hannah does around Emily?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I think they know. Once, I had had a tremendously bad day at work, and took a few minutes to go into Sawyer's run. He gets terribly excited whenever I do that, because usually it means he's either going outside or going home. This time, he quit jumping almost immediatly, crawled on my lap and let me just hug him without squirming. Most times he's a cuddler, but doesn't like to be held.

Giny

Hannah sounds like a sweetheart! It seems some dogs have a special gift of knowing when to be gentle. I find this personality in dogs to be the best when it comes to doing therapy work in nursing homes or with special needs kids.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Giny said:
Hannah sounds like a sweetheart! It seems some dogs have a special gift of knowing when to be gentle. I find this personality in dogs to be the best when it comes to doing therapy work in nursing homes or with special needs kids.
she's only calm around my little girl. Anyone else she'll bounce off the wall and try to knock them over. Maybe when she's a little older she'll calm down for everyone and not just me and my daughter.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I believe certain dogs just know these things.

Zeus knows. He's very gentle around small children, and was very understanding and calm with a group of children in wheelchairs he encountered recently. He'll tolerate anything. Just this past weekend, my year-old niece grabbed his tail and started chewing on it. We stopped her, but amazingly, Zeus stood for it! He didn't even try to get away.

My golden retreiver, however, did not like small children (under 5) at all. She'd never do anything bad, but she'd avoid them at all costs. If we had her on-leash and one started petting her, you could tell she didn't like it at all. It's kind of funny: golden retreivers are suppossed to absolutely love everyone.

Sirius

Imagination ROCKS.
Um... Sam knows. Dakota is getting there. And Harley... well he's a different story. Sam LOVES kids. She loves them. Dakota ADORES them. Harley... well... he... is scared of them. I know. He hides. Sam trots up to them, Dakota rampages up to them like there is a bull chasing them and nearly knocks them off of their feet, then.... LICK ATTACKS THEM!! Sam, just stands there and lets the kids experiment with her face and her tail and try to ride her like a horse. Ya gotta love Bullmastiffs.

Julie, I think some dogs know and others know & don't care or just don't realize.

When I had my great danes they were remarkable. Jennifer was really young at the time and both of them were so gentle with her. They would play a little more rough with me and they'd go all out with my hubby.

Farley & Chloe were very intuitive also after I had my surgery. Usually when I return home after being gone for a few days all they have learned about "no jump" goes out the window. When I came home from the hospital both of them were very mellow and never jumped, or much less bumped into me. However, both were totally "velcro" dogs for a few days until they saw that I started getting around like normal.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Lucas knows. I was walking him once a year or so ago and we met with two older ladies. One was in a wheelchair, but both seemed rather fragile. They asked to pet lucas (before he knew not to jump) and I said yes, but held on to his leash so he didn't jump on them and to my surprise he was very gentle with them. He went over and sat right next to the wheelchair close enough for the lady to pet him. It was really cute and I was very surprised adn proud of him! After that day the two ladies just LOVE to pet him all the time! lol They seem really happy when they see us on walks and Lucas loves the attention.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
poodlesmom said:
Julie, I think some dogs know and others know & don't care or just don't realize.

When I had my great danes they were remarkable. Jennifer was really young at the time and both of them were so gentle with her. They would play a little more rough with me and they'd go all out with my hubby.

Farley & Chloe were very intuitive also after I had my surgery. Usually when I return home after being gone for a few days all they have learned about "no jump" goes out the window. When I came home from the hospital both of them were very mellow and never jumped, or much less bumped into me. However, both were totally "velcro" dogs for a few days until they saw that I started getting around like normal.
Lily is DEFINETELY a velcro dog. I am guessing that is another poodle trait. She barks and barks if she is in her crate and can't see us (which is why she still sleeps in our room) and whenever she is in the kitchen and we are in another room she just clears the gate and comes and finds us. She's not very affectionate though I've noticed. It takes a lot to get a tail wag or a lick from her. Although she always wants to be near us and I know she loves us she just isn't into all the lovey dovey stuff like Hannah. She'll learn though.

The Therapy Dogs that I've known know what their "hanckerchief" around their neck meant. That means they were getting ready to "go to work"... at a Nursing Home, etc. It's like their whole demeanor changes and they know to be more serious. Dogs + Humans in-tune with each other = MAGIC...

Members online

No members online now.