How much for training?

I have been looking to hire a trainer.

I need private lessons because I cant commit to the same time every week like most classes require.

I am just trying to get an idea of what is fair for a trainer to ask.

This is for two dogs, just basic things... neither are aggressive or anything (I know this increases the cost usually).

The only "quote" I have gotten so far is for 4 hours (4/ 1 hour sessions) at a cost of 600 for dog 1 and 300 for dog 2. I dont have any frame of reference though to know if this is fair or not.

So what did you all pay for training?

marfak9

One of my colleagues in Boston charges $100/hour for a private lesson for 1 dog. A colleague in New Jersey charges $110/session - about 90 minutes. Tamar Geller in LA charges $225/session. I live in a sparsely populated area of Texas and charge $60/session (no discount for second dog).
If this person is a well-known, top trainer, then you might expect to pay $225/hour, but I'd shop around and be sure to ask exactly who/what you're getting for that price.

CaliTerp07

I've never gone to anyone for obedience training, but we did talk to someone for a behavior consultation (when Lucy was beginning to chase buses). It was $250 for a 2 hour session--I'm not sure how it would have increased for 2 dogs, because I only have Lucy.

To be honest though, I didn't learn anything from it that I hadn't already found online. I was pretty disappointed, even though this was a really highly recommended trainer.

We went here: Op Barks - Dog Training - Dog Behavior Problems - Animal Behavior & Training (or rather, she came to us)

theresa92841

Gigi Monster & Evil Puppy
My trainer charges $65/hr. She doesn't charge more based on the # of dogs. I had her come and work with me and my two dogs (before I got the 3rd one). I may have her come again while my parents are visiting. Since I have a hard time keeping them from barking at my Dad.

xpaeanx

My trainer charges $65/hr. She doesn't charge more based on the # of dogs. I had her come and work with me and my two dogs (before I got the 3rd one). I may have her come again while my parents are visiting. Since I have a hard time keeping them from barking at my Dad.
This pretty much the deal with trainers here on the island too. They charge you based on the time you take, not the number of dogs. Prices vary, but norm around 65/hr also.

okay, so I figured out his hourly charge... 225/hour

He doesnt seem like anything particularly special, so I am going to keep looking... I will pay a decent amount but I want to get what I am paying for.

Thanks guys!

adojrts

okay, so I figured out his hourly charge... 225/hour

He doesnt seem like anything particularly special, so I am going to keep looking... I will pay a decent amount but I want to get what I am paying for.

Thanks guys!
Happy that you are going to keep looking, that is an outrageous price for just basic obedince instruction without behavioral issues.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I pay $35-60 an hour for privates. Can be one or both dogs as they only care how much of their time I take up. I know trainers that charge more. That is what I'm willing to pay though.

In home for any reason around here you'll fine anything from $100-$225 per hour. Plus mileage. Private lessons AT a facility will usually cost you less. Most places are $60-$125 per hour. Also check into local facilities and see if any of them offer "flex" classes. One of the places I used to work at did this and it was fantastic. Basically you purchased 8 weeks of class. The class ran every Monday at 6pm for level 1 and 7pm for level 2. You could take up to a YEAR to use up your 8 weeks of classes, work at your own pace. People with non-traditional work schedules found it very convenient.

Saeleofu

One of the places I used to work at did this and it was fantastic. Basically you purchased 8 weeks of class. The class ran every Monday at 6pm for level 1 and 7pm for level 2. You could take up to a YEAR to use up your 8 weeks of classes, work at your own pace. People with non-traditional work schedules found it very convenient.
I wish I could find something like that around here. I've been dying to take Rally or Agility classes but they're always on the days I work, though I do occasionally get days off that are on those days.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I used to love drop in. There was rally-o drop in one night of the week for an hour every week.. go when you can. REALLY helped Cider and I out when we were having issues having finished novice but not quite ready for advanced.

Sadly that school went out of business and nowhere since near me has offered anything similar.

DanL

I'm in the wrong line of work. 100+ an hour for obedience? Sheesh!

All kidding aside, I paid 200 for 8 weeks of private lessons, me, my wife, Daisy and Gunnar.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Basically you purchased 8 weeks of class. The class ran every Monday at 6pm for level 1 and 7pm for level 2. You could take up to a YEAR to use up your 8 weeks of classes, work at your own pace. People with non-traditional work schedules found it very convenient.
That's similar to the classes I take now. Except the amount of time you purchase (either 2 months or 4 months) expires 2 or 4 months after you attend your first class, so it's not AS flexible as what you're describing. But you could attend 3 classes one week and then not go the next week, things like that. I like it mostly because everyone in class with you is at pretty much the same level (if the other dogs knew the skills, they'd have moved on to a higher level, so you at least know that all the dogs in your class have something they need to work on). This is the first time I've ever done classes so I don't have experience with the traditional go once a week for 8 weeks... but I can tell I wouldn't like that as much.

Members online

No members online now.