Working from home

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
I agree with most here.

I worked from home for awhile and I hated it after a few months. Sure, it's nice not having to deal with dress attires, traffic, and such, but it also gets lonely after awhile. I generally do enjoy working in an office and having interactions with my coworkers.

And yes, minus the commute, you still have to work the same hours... I ended up working a lot more, often until late at night.

Yes, it is hard to come home after a long day at work and still cook and clean... But it's just part of life. I might be over stepping my boundaries here, but I don't think the severity of your lack of energy is "normal" (and I mean that in a nice, concerned way). Everyone is tired after work (or at least some days), but being too tired to even wanting to get dressed... If it's seriously that bad, I don't think it's from everyday work. I know you have been seeing a Counselor for you and Josh, but have you also seen one just for you? ((((HUGS))))

BostonBanker

I was horrible at it. I am the most unproductive person when there is no accountability. I'd do laundry, dishes, vacuum...but very little work. It was fine--I got my stuff done M-Th--but working at home was not a good choice for me.
This! My part time job is working from home - and I'm terrible at it. Not to mention it is on a computer game. So easy to get distracted, to get sucked into computer stuff, to say "I'll just do extra time tomorrow".

I went through part of the training to do medical transcription from home, and realized pretty early on I couldn't do it.

with my job I probably could work from home, or at least work from home part time. This weekend was a busy weekend for us, so we all worked from home for a few hours on Sat & Sun, if that thought me anything it's that I am not meant to work from home. Way too many distractions. Plus it was the weekend and the husband was home and felt it was my duty to entertain him the entire time :rolleyes:

I've also done the unemployeed thing, first when I moved in with my husband after we got married and again when we moved to NY. I do not do well without other people around. I get sad and lonely.

RD

Are you dead yet?
This is just me, but if you want to start working from home, I would prepare yourself for having to deal with people acting like you don't work at all. People will treat you like you're a slacker and a bum and a leech. This could be your husband, friends, etc. giving you a hard time because they want something from you when you are working, or just random people being judgmental. I don't know how much people's words affect you, but I know it got to me a few times when I was having financial issues and I was repeatedly told that if I'd quit being lazy and get a real job, I wouldn't be in trouble. Seriously got to me and made me really cynical and angry, and it still affects me to this day. I even feel bad on my days off when I don't want to do housework or anything, and just veg out. I feel like I'm simply not allowed.

Also, you don't have more time to do things, if you're doing it right. You can't just push work aside to do stuff around the house, or your work will suffer terribly. I did that for years in Mexico. I could've done more there, made more money and considered my stay there much more successful had I prioritized correctly. But I didn't. I played with dogs and took on foster animals and poured far more time into animal rescue than I did into my actual profitable work, and it really dug me into a hole. I got out of Mexico with my dog, some of my stuff and a hundred bucks to my name, after years of being there and working.

You have to WORK YOUR ASS OFF in order to do more than just exist.

Just some food for thought.

RD

Are you dead yet?
And by the way, I do hear you on the lack of energy. These days, I spend 9 hours at work, and when I come home I have zero motivation to do anything. I don't want to clean the house, I don't want to go to the park with the dog, I don't want to go shopping, I just want to rest because work is draining for me, mentally - my issues with anxiety are more difficult to keep under control in a physically demanding retail work environment, so by the time I get home I just want to unwind with a couple of drinks and go to sleep!

But I get home and GUESS WHAT the house needs cleaning. Not just a quick once-over but like an hour or more of cleaning. One of the dogs **** on the floor and nobody cleaned it up so I guess it's my job too. Laundry needs to be done and it goes on and on and I just don't want to, but on the days that I don't I feel like I'm a POS. Shrug.

You're going to be worn out from your job now or from working from home. It's just a different kind of worn out.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I *think* I decided what I want to do.

I'm going to continue working as I have been and continue saving up for a new camera. Once I can get a new camera I'm going to start doing my photography more on the side and I think I'd like my end goal to be eventually working part time doing photography and part time at a job around other people.

Not sure it will help my energy level or not, but I'm going to see a holistic doctor soon so I'm going to talk to her about that since I think the energy level issue could be related to my anxiety maybe, but not sure.

I do miss shooting photos and going back to look at some of my older stuff, I'm not bad at it honestly. I'm constantly having people around here asking me why I don't do my photography anymore so maybe I'll get back into doing more of that... but I'm going to try to ease into doing the photography for income slowly.

Taqroy

I *think* I decided what I want to do.

I'm going to continue working as I have been and continue saving up for a new camera. Once I can get a new camera I'm going to start doing my photography more on the side and I think I'd like my end goal to be eventually working part time doing photography and part time at a job around other people.

Not sure it will help my energy level or not, but I'm going to see a holistic doctor soon so I'm going to talk to her about that since I think the energy level issue could be related to my anxiety maybe, but not sure.

I do miss shooting photos and going back to look at some of my older stuff, I'm not bad at it honestly. I'm constantly having people around here asking me why I don't do my photography anymore so maybe I'll get back into doing more of that... but I'm going to try to ease into doing the photography for income slowly.
I wonder if just getting back into photography will help you? I know having a hobby that I look forward to after a long crappy day at work makes me feel 100 times better.

Hour long commutes suuuuuck. For the first year I had this job I commuted an hour each way. After I got home I didn't want to do anything except lay on the sofa. Hopefully if photography works out you can just cut back on your hours at your regular job!

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Amber, just a thought- I know you work in a doggy daycare center. Would the owner let you advertise your photography services there? That would be a good way to have a large group of people see your work. People who take their dogs to daycare are generally the types of people who would pay for pet photography.

ETA: Since you park your car at the doggy daycare, a decal on the back of your car with a business name and contact info may not be a bad idea either. People pulling into the parking lot to drop off their dogs will see it, and then can call you about shoots!

ACooper

That sounds like a good plan/goal skittle. Nothing wrong with wanting to do something you love (and are very good at ;) )

I think Jessie has a good idea too!

<3 <3 I have every confidence you'll achieve it!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I wonder if just getting back into photography will help you? I know having a hobby that I look forward to after a long crappy day at work makes me feel 100 times better.

Hour long commutes suuuuuck. For the first year I had this job I commuted an hour each way. After I got home I didn't want to do anything except lay on the sofa. Hopefully if photography works out you can just cut back on your hours at your regular job!
Ya I was thinking the same thing. I need something that I enjoy doing aside from dogs. Now mind you, I'm better at photographing animals so I'll stick to mostly that, but I still think it will be a really good thing.

The hour commute is awful. That's pretty much the norm for people out here, but I just have never been able to get used to it. I used to commute an hour each way years ago and it made me miserable. I was only 15 minutes away from this job which was totally fine, but since we moved I'm not much further away.

Amber, just a thought- I know you work in a doggy daycare center. Would the owner let you advertise your photography services there? That would be a good way to have a large group of people see your work. People who take their dogs to daycare are generally the types of people who would pay for pet photography.
She's actually asked me multiple times if I would be interested in doing so. I've done some photography for some of our dog clients actually. I offered our clients calendar shoots last year so that they could have a calendar for this year with just photos of their dogs. Since then, I've had numerous people ask me if I'm still doing photography.

That sounds like a good plan/goal skittle. Nothing wrong with wanting to do something you love (and are very good at ;) )

I think Jessie and Tag have some good ideas too!

<3 <3 I have every confidence you'll achieve it!
Thank you so much! :)

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Ya I was thinking the same thing. I need something that I enjoy doing aside from dogs. Now mind you, I'm better at photographing animals so I'll stick to mostly that, but I still think it will be a really good thing.

She's actually asked me multiple times if I would be interested in doing so. I've done some photography for some of our dog clients actually. I offered our clients calendar shoots last year so that they could have a calendar for this year with just photos of their dogs. Since then, I've had numerous people ask me if I'm still doing photography.

Thank you so much! :)
Awesome! I think that doing pet photography for people can also open the door to doing human photography. If you do a shoot for someone and they love the photos of their dogs (which they will- your photography is AWESOME!), they'll probably want you to do shoots of their children, family shots for holiday cards, graduation photos, etc, etc.

I think you're also in an ideal area for photography- especially pet photography!

Take your boss up on that offer! If photography is the route you want to go, I think you'll be able to take it far!

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
I guess I have a good compromise... I get to work from home 2 days a week and they are generally my more productive days. I work in a IT support role and when you are the "E-Mail and File Server guy", you tend to get a lot of 'drive-bys'. When I am at home, it is a lot easier to just ignore the IM's. LOL

Also, I have 100 mile (round trip) commute, so 2 x days at home really helps with the fuel costs. You want city money, you have to go to the city. No way I want to live any closer though. I don't know how people can actually LIVE there. LOL

Amber... Be well. Good luck.

I'm going to harangue you to get back to your photography, and not just pets. You do phenomenal work with people too. Those modeling shots you did of your friends were . . . not just beautiful, they were editorial, and that's more difficult than "pretty."

You have a great eye for the shot.

Members online

No members online now.