Breeding my chihuahuas (help!!)

and to whatszmatter- There are probably thousands of people that breed dogs everyday that have been misinformed (such as myself), or simply just breed them because they want a family of dogs.
and no offence your adding to all the dogs in rescue homes being put down. if they wanted to have a chi then couldn't you tel them to look i rescu homes or get one from a breeder, the breeder of your chi dosnt seem to know much. sorry and i hope your chi is ok and so are he pups

I'm crossing my fingers for you. All the advice I could of given you is already here. Just make sure you give that breeder a piece of your mind!!

Remember, we're right here if you need us :)

J's crew

This is just my opinion. Being a breeder and being involved in rescue I will never have a dog spayed while pregnant. I am against it with humans AND with animals. Dogs are living, breathing beings. I value the life of an animal just as much as a person. I would rather take my chances. IF there are any abnormalities then being PTS is an option. It will be heartbreaking but I would rather take my chances instead of just automatically aborting. If we were discussing a dog in a shelter my opinion may be a little different.

Making the decision to abort must have been very hard on you.....please don't be too hard on yourself now.......you didn't realise what you were getting involved in and you've had to learn the hard way :(
I am so glad that your doing whats right for your girl and the puppies.
Also that your recognising that the boy could also have problems.

mninh0076 said:
and i havent thought of this yet, but my paco probably has something too, which i guess ill have to get him tested for
I just wanted to ask though.......you say that the boy could have the same problems........am i right in assuming then that they came from the same litter?
If so then they should never have been mated together being littermates....as i said, that is an assumption and forgive me if i am wrong in thinking that.

Last edited:

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater

Oh WOW is all I can say!!
Umm Theres alot of good advise here. Next time before you decide to breed think about some of the things mentioned here.

mninh0076

Well, from what we were told they arent from the same litter. BUt who knows after this.

How much more pricy is PTS than aborting?? and what do the rest of you think of that option? PTS if they have problems versus abortion?

mninh0076 said:
Well, from what we were told they arent from the same litter. BUt who knows after this.

How much more pricy is PTS than aborting?? and what do the rest of you think of that option? PTS if they have problems versus abortion?
Did you see 2 sets of parents for the Bitch and Dog? If not then going on all that the "Breeder" has told you about breeding then i would be inclined to beleive that the 2 are from the same litter.

I wouldn't know about prices of either.
But IMO i would abort rather than waiting.

1: you are putting alot of strain on mums hips if you allow her to carry these puppies.

2: It will be a whole lot harder on you to have to go and make the decision of PTS any puppies once they are born.

Just my opinion though.

If you do decide to let your girl give birth to this litter, make sure you guarantee the adopters that you can take them back at any time if they ever can't take care of/do not want the pup. If they end up having have HD then it's up to you: if it's severe you may want to put them to sleep, if it's not then they can continue on with medication. Just make sure that the potential adopters are fully aware that these pups may have the same problems as their parents and the vet bills can be pricey. This may mean that they will end up staying with you, but remember, it's probably best for them.

I say PTS if they have problems, as long as you are pysically/financially able to take full responsibility for all them for the rest of their lives, whether their lives be short or long. If you can't, then I believe it's best to abort.

mninh0076

I want to share with you guys the same thing i just said in a private msg, so im going to copy paste it

"Well lizzie, I am calling vets now. So far only 1 out of 5 has told me they can abort puppies. A couple have suggested letting her have the babies anyway

then theyve also suggested coming in and doing xrays to see if she even has the problem, because the last vet didnt do that.

this is already becoming a costly endeavor, and she hasnt even had the puppies:-\. The vets im asking about this are acting like its not possible to abort them!

Two of them have flat out told me its not possible to do.

im so confused! i was like um well i heard that you can and she was like well you should go talk to whoever told you that."

so anyway, Im calling more places to figure out the cheapest route.

Ideally I'd like to have blood work done and if there is a genetic problem then abort them. I hate aborting, i hate the idea of putting to sleep. I just hate all of it. it sounds so cruel, but i'm going to talk with vets and see what they say. Once i get that new credit card im going to get this stuff checked out.

I'm worried vets will try to upsell me, i'm only 19 and I dont have alot of money, ( i have a lottt of credit because of my parents though ) I just need done what *needs* to be done because im paying for it myself.

Roxy's CD

It is totally possible to abort puppies, it's actually I believe just a spay while she is pregnant. The process of spay, which is removing all her reproductive organs will in itself abort the puppies.

It seems as though your trying though, so I give you kudos for that. I'm sorry if I seemed harsh, but really, ChiBree has a Chi, and not even a month ago, her girl did die on the operating table, and they had to revive her.

Pups for a small breed like a Chi is very risky.

I wish somone like summit, or Red would see this. They would know the exact term for what the operation would be called... Hmm..

This is the way, *I* personally would look at it. It may sound harsh but whatever.

Roxy, (who is spayed in reality) is pregnant. There are some issues regarding HER health with this litter. I *LOVE* Roxy, I don't know these puppies. It's harsh, but I would rather, abort those unborn puppies than risk losing my beloved Roxy. SHE would be my upmost concern with the litter, not the puppies.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
This whole thing frustrates me. There I said it. Whew I feel better now.
No offense to you. I can see you honestly didnt know and the people who do know didnt share thier knowledge. Its frustrating.
What ever you decide to do is ultimatly your choice. I wish you and your girl the best.

I know how hard this is for you and now i am understanding that it is equaly (sp) as financialy hard as it is emotionally.

If you pay a little more for the spay/abortion i think IMO it will save you a whole lot more than say if Fajita needs a c/s or the pups need to be PTS..........
Someone else said that if your willing to raise all of the puppies yourself or pay vet bills for potential owners if any or all of the pups do have HD........I don't think you could, could you?

I think that this is going to be an expensive learning curve for you in whatever option you decide to go with.

Then there is also now to consider that you think Paco could possibly be from the same litter............that could (i believe?) bring another whole load of health issues to these puppies if you decide to go ahead with the pregnancy :(

bubbatd

My female was about 1/2 way through her pregnancy before I knew she was pregnant.... the sitter never told me the dogs got together. They just took the pups by C section and put each to sleep as they removed . Being so young, they never took a breath .

J's crew

I have never heard of a specific name for spaying while pregnant. It is just that, a spay while pregnant. :p

As far as a major risk for her to give birth, there is also a major risk to spay while pregnant.

To the OP. There are vets who do the procedure. Once you find one I would get their advice on which option holds the most risk. Also, the condition of your bitch as far as HD goes should play a very big part in your decision.

And, if your male and female are brother/sister or even closely related that is not a reason to terminate the pregnancy.

J's crew

bubbatd said:
Honey , I feel for you !! Obviously you care . I had to abort a litter.... the most painful thing I've ever done..... but for the welfare of the pups and the breed , it had to be done. A dog sitter allowed my female in heat our with her Dad or Brother or both, And yes , I'm anti abortion .... my grandson with DS is my sweetheart ! But he is ours .... who knows the fate those 8 pups would have had ! Obviously you care ... stick with us !!! We're behind you with your concerns. From what I hear , small breeds have problems whelping. From what I understand , the breeding wasn't your decision. Don't knock yourself !! We're here for you and your pup's welfare .

Close inbreeding is no reason to abort IMO. I have heard of several cases and assisted in whelping and fostering of said cases with no ill effects. Of course I am not saying everything will be ok, but not much with the situation is ok.

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
J's crew said:
And, if your male and female are brother/sister or even closely related that is not a reason to terminate the pregnancy.
YES it is a reason to have the pups aborted. Chi's are prone to MANY health problems and a brother/sister mating would be just what these pups need to worsen their health problems.

That and the fact that the bitch has HD or some sort of hip problem and if they are related the boy is most likely a carrier or has the condition. Not Good.

Line breeding should only be left to the professionals and even they would agree a brother/sister mating is way too risky

Roxy's CD

I agree with Lizzie on this one.

Close line breeding, should be left to those who know what they're doing.

Well, any breeding IMO should be left to people that know what their doing, ESPECIALLY close breedings, which from my understanding CAN be beneficial to the breed if researched and all the health testing is done.

J's crew

LizzieCollie said:
YES it is a reason to have the pups aborted. Chi's are prone to MANY health problems and a brother/sister mating would be just what these pups need to worsen their health problems.

That and the fact that the bitch has HD or some sort of hip problem and if they are related the boy is most likely a carrier or has the condition. Not Good.

Line breeding should only be left to the professionals and even they would agree a brother/sister mating is way too risky
As I stated in a previous post I do not believe in abortion, humans or dogs. IF there were problems then being PTS is the humane way of doing things. I do not have the attitude of *wellllll, something mayyyyy go wrong so lets kill them now and not worry about it*.

I am a breeder and believe me there is no magic solution given the situation. I learn from the "professionals" everyday. Being a breeder myself linebreeding/inbreeding is not a new subject to me.

Also, as stated there is risk to abort/spay or to whelp.

I also advised her to find out for sure if her dog even has HD. Many times I have seen a vet state that they think a dog may have it but the xrays prove otherwise.

Members online

No members online now.