Spaying Doubts?

Juicy

Okay now since we found a low cost spaying program, I was like okay there's hope for this spaying thing. But now with the whole glacuoma thing, do you think I should wait until surgery is done before I spay? The vet said I should have the eye removal first. Didi had one pup from a previous owner, and one oops litter with me (had an unalter male). But with Pepe neutered, now I don't know if I want to anymore. Like someone mention on this forum, the whole losing her due to surgery scares me. She has seizures and is not on meds, and that always go through my mind. What if she has a seizure during the surgery. The vet says they could use a mild anthesia (sp?), but what if it wears off or something? Just soo many things scare me about the surgery. Same thing with her eye removal surgery, if it weren't for the fact that glaucoma sometimes causes headaches and migranes (sp?) I wouldn't do it. Now thinking about the chance of losing her through the spay surgery, its like I could lose her in the eye removal surgery too! :( She isn't around males besides Pepe (who's altered) when she's in heat. I have her inside, no dogs parks, ect. The only pros I could think of is no blood and high vet bills, but the con doesn't not overpower the pros...death. I rather pay some extra $ and buying doggie pads. I met an owner in the dog park who was beinging persuade on neutering his dog, but he lost a female during the procedure. I wouldn't fix my dog neither if I lost a dog to surgery. I need to have surgery on my feet (flat-feet) and I'm scared to death of ANY surgery PERIOD. How can I let go of my fear of surgery so I can finally do what's best for Didi?

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
Possibilities from leaving the eye in:
Headaches and migraines from glaucoma....

Possibilities from leaving her intact:
Pyometra, mastitis, cancer....

Pyometra can be fatal. And I've had to care for bitches with mastitis, it is not fun and your heart will break seeing how the dog feels in this condition.

Can't you get both surgeries done at the same time?

Juicy

i dunno. i'll have to ask the vet. i'm not getting her spay at the vet though.

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
You're doing a low cost program? See if you can talk to them and your vet and work out something to get both done, but the spay still at a discount or still by the low-cost surgeon, or something.... Sometimes vets and low-cost programs, though non-affiliated, will work together. Doesn't hurt to ask. Might get told no, but worth a try!

doberkim

Naturally Natural
if you are scared abot losing her during surgery, doing it at your regular vets will be safer for her, IMO. low cost places are great, but they often have less staff, less things on hand in case of emergencies, and typically less ability to alter anesthetic plans and provide anesthetic monitoring.

i would do them both at the same time - an eye removal is not an exceptionally long surgery, it should be easy to remove the eye and then spay her.

I agree with the above post. As much as I love and support low cost altering, in this case you may want to look into them both being done at the same time by at the regular vet clinic. Since there are issues that could come up it may be better to pay more and have them both done together.

Members online