My cat tries to get attention by scratching on the sofa Xp

My little kitty, Tydus had been using the sofa as his scratching post so everytime he does that, I will pick him up, say no and gently set him down to his cat tree where the scratching pole is.
Now he tries to get my attention by 'pretending' to scratch on the sofa, he will do it then looks at me, if I do not go pick him up, he'll do it again, look at me till I go pick him up to set him down on his cat tree. When I go over he'll roll on his back and wants a tummy rub.
Not that I do not spend time with him or play with him. Every night when I get home, he'll be fed and then play time for at least 30 mins then he'll sit with me for TV and before bed, i'll play with him again. He just wants attention all the time, follows me around and sleeps wrapped around my neck.
Its nice that he has bonding with me but is there anyway to stop him from scratching on the sofas to get attention?

Barb04

Super Moderator
I haven't had any luck. I had to buy material to put on the back of my reclining chair which was heavier upholstery type so it doesn't rip.

mypy

Taters
Hey at least he just uses the sofa. one of my boys, Zuux, when he wants out he will walk up to you and bat at your head until you let him outside. If you ignore him to long he starts to use claws:( . Good luck with the sofa. I gave up on that. Luckily my sofa is not that great.

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Yup, stop responding to it. Unfortunately what you have done is create this problem by your initial reaction!! Sorry - but cats are expert at getting what they want from you, and this kitty certainly has you well trained! You need to not only not respond, but when your cat goes at the sofa and then looks at you for your reaction, you need to leave the room - even if you're comfortable. Try to watch when your kitty moves away from the sofa without him seeing you, and as soon as he moves away you need to go to him and THEN give him attention - that will be his reward for NOT scratching the sofa.

Dogs will catch on to this fairly quickly - cats are more stubborn and more creatures of habit, but this redirective response from you will work eventually! Just be persistent.

Ahhhh cats, gotta love `em!! :D

He has since stopped doing it because I've gotten Wingsy home and he is busy getting her attention now (pixs of them on another thread) :) But he mainly still sleeps with me X)

Members online

No members online now.