Have to vent!

Kilter

On one of the facebook pages today. Venting here so I don't blow up there. Hope that's ok.

Anyway it started off with a 'I'm sorry if my dog is barking, I live at..... and I hear some of my neighbors are upset that our dog has been barking quite a bit lately, next time come and talk to me and you'd know why'...

Why? Because their other dog died. So the one dog is apparently lonely outside, so everyone should understand he's barking and let him bark.

Why did the other dog die? Well it was a 'loved family member' but lived in the backyard, they noticed he was 'tired' and then one morning was really sick, the other dog was scratching at the door and they looked and realized the dog was almost dead and rushed him to the vet to be put down.

Ok really?

First of all, this is not a warm climate, yes it's summer, but it's been HOT out. As in at the kennel I work at we bring all the dogs in for the hot part of the day, hose everything down and put out fresh cold water and then let everyone back outside - and there's lots of shade. In the winter it is too cold too for most breeds unless you have a pretty darn good doghouse. The area these people live in is not a cheap area, it's a nice suburb so they'd have to have some money and a house and more than likely at least a garage for the dogs if nothing else.

Second, if they are loved family members why do they live as lawn ornaments 24/7? I don't get that, sorry, let the dogs come hang out if they mean that much to you. Does Uncle Joe get a shed in the backyard to live in? Grandma get a cup of water in the yard? UGH!!!

Third, I don't care what the reasoning is, you have neighbors, don't let your now lonely sad single lawn ornament dog bark 24/7 and get annoyed when people get mad because he's 'sad his friend is gone'....

Yeesh! Boggles the mind!

RIP that dog and hope the other is living under decent conditions currently...

Too much of this is very muddled and confusing (to me) so I don't really have enough info to say much.

Kilter

The short version: The poster was offended that people didn't understand his outside dog was 'mourning' and thus should be excused from barking 24/7 because the other outside dog died. Because, you know, they're valued family members that are living in the backyard and can't possibly come in the house, so the entire neighborhood should just allow the barking at all hours.

Assamiea

My uncle had a similar situation years ago. He got new neighbors who had 2 cocker spaniels (one was black and the other was brown - don't remember their names) that were constant outside dogs The brown on ended up dying and the black one took to barking constantly. This dog was also a "very much loved family pet and companion to their toddler".

My uncle tried to get the owner to bring the dog inside so it could spend more time with the family but the owner insisted that the dog preferred to be in the backyard. A few months later the owner ended up surrendering the dog to a rescue, I'm sure that animal services being called to his house on numerous occasions was a big deciding factor in his decision.

I find it funny that this owner says that everyone should understand that the dog is barking because it's lonely but it doesn't sound like he's doing anything to help the dog out.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Frankly, these people are idiots. If your dog's companion passed away and now he's lonely in the backyard and barking...bring him inside! The neighbors have every right to complain since the owners obviously aren't trying to fix the problem.

Not to mention that it seems as if every week we are having an overheated dog rushed to the clinic as an emergancy. One dog was dead by the time it got to the treatment table (a 9mth old Doberman pup), another (three year old Pit Bull) is currently still being hospitalized (or so I hope - he was having major problems Monday and the vet said had he been an older, smaller dog he would have died. I was off yesterday and I hope he's doing alright). A stressed, barking dog left outside is a prime canidate for heat stroke.

Doberluv

How can people be so heartless and stupid all at the same time? To keep their poor dogs outside in extreme heat for hours on end shows such a lack of empathy, it's hard to fathom. And then on top of it, after the first dog faded away from the heat (most likely) they ignore the mourning dog and just let it bark and bark? Why couldn't they bring it in? Why is it that some people are incapable of compassion or any sense at all? So many questions unanswered. Maybe the first dog died from something else, not heat, but they should have been observing him more in the first place. Some people just shouldn't have dogs.:(

Members online

No members online now.