Hackles Easily

Toller_08

Keira does a lot too. Only around dogs though. Or cats. Or other animals. Never for noises or humans. I think with her and animals it's a minor insecurity thing (with other dogs) and excitement/prey drive (cats and other animals). She's always raised her hackles easily, even as a young puppy. It's never gone away. The general public automatically assumes it's aggression, but it's definitely not. Oh, and she raises them when she's cold too.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I think I've seen Quinn put her hackles up maybe once or twice!

Dally does it more often. Not really when she's playing, but if she sees something suspicious or she's out in the field and smelling coyotes from the night before she'll put her hackles up. She reminds me of a dinosaur or something because she has such a thick, bristly coat to begin with and it looks like big spikes when she gets all hackley - her hair stands up over her shoulders, then flattens, then along her spine, then flattens, then at the base of her tail.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I've only seen Charlie do it twice, but I attest that to everyone else having short/soft hair. The first was warning the OtherCollie in the stove door that they were not welcomed, and then when she heard something in the hallway and body blocked me.

Bailey08

I think it may be a bit of a puppy thing, because they're so often overaroused. All of the puppies in Gracie's class did it when they were playing.

Also, Grace's is freaking awesome -- it's a big mohawk ('cause now she has her big girl hair) all the way down her back. It's hilarious and I love it.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Virgo always went all hackly whenever she was excited over something. If Sawyer ever does, I can't tell because of his coat length and the way it parts down his back.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Morgan hackles very, very, VERY easily. Same as Didgie, it's the full deal - neck to tail. And anything can trigger it. :p

"Did you near that noise?" *hackle*
"There's somebody outside!" *hackle*
"Are we going for a walk?!" *hackledance*
"I'M GOING TO RUN NOW." *hacklezoom*
"Nothing is happening, so I'm going to pretend I heard a knock at the door." *hackle*
"FRIEND! FRIENDFRIENDFRIENDFRIEND!" *hackle*

etc.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I've never seen the paps do it but I think it's because of their coat. It's so long and silky and Mia's parts down the back.

Nikki did it all the time only she was defective so it would just poof up on her butt. Yes, you are such a scary dog with your big huge poofy butt! ;)

Saeleofu

Gavroche used to, but he doesn't do it as much as he did when I first got him. It's also harder to tell in him, since his hair's so short.

RD

Are you dead yet?
My mom's dog Dash does.

Eve looks like her hackles are up all the time, but it's just her cowlicks. Unfortunately when she actually does put her hackles up, I can't tell. lol

Paige

Let it be
Bandit always does around other dogs yet he is very friendly and social. He just gets the lock and stare, hackles up, then turns into a mush bucket.

Katem

Pig 'mohawks' all of the time. Someone comes home? Hawk it up. About to play with another dog? Hawk it up. Holy crap, this smells amazing! Gotta hawk it up. Oh my god, the whole world is melting, we're all going to die! Major mohawk moment. Some times it's just a little faux hawk, other times she's like a freaking razorback.

elegy

overdogged
Luce used to. Not so much anymore. It's not as impressive because of her short, smooth coat but I'd never fully appreciated tail hackles before LOL

M

MyHorseMyRules

Tempie, always. lol

Raja does it a lot when she plays.

Boone, never. But when he gets excited, his tail goes straight up into the air, really stiff.

Argon only does it in the presence of another dog.

Gambit hackles across his shoulders in a ruff rather then down his back. It's really strange to look at.

monkeys23

Mine both 'hawk up when they play, but omg Lily is such a freaking show off. If she sees a dog she thinks is a sexy beast she has to hike the happy tail into the tightest curl possible, hawk up massively, and generally prance like the princess she is. Its just.... epic. LOL

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
So I'm just curious how many of you guys have dogs that hackle a lot and easily.

I've been noticing with Didgie that she will get her razor back going at the drop of a hat. Playing with Traveler? Hackle. See something in the distance? Hackle. Playing with toy? HACKLE!

And it's not one of those sissy hackles either, it's full back and down the tail. It makes me giggle to see this little puppy with it.

Someone walked into the field we were in. The tail makes me laugh the hardest

IMG_8433 by Traveling Koolie, on Flickr
Pepper described perfectly. Neccy too, only Neccy growls as well.

Members online

No members online now.