keeping the dogs from barking at neighbors

blackcat

Okay at the moment we have five dogs. Three are mine and the other two who are my brothers who will be moving out soon. Anyways how do I prevent them all from barking at the neighbors and people walking by. A little bit is okay but it seems to be getting out of control. Especially my very neurotic and skittish doberman and my brothers semi skittish pitbull. Any help at all would be appreciated.

lizzybeth727

Here's a thread about how to teach your dogs "quiet" on cue, it's a good place to start:

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77518&highlight=quiet

More details are needed to give more advice - do the dogs constantly bark when they're outside, or is it only when the neighbors do specific things? Are the dogs barking when they're outside alone or when you're out with them, or both? Do you notice one dog starts the barking and the others follow suit? etc.

blackcat

They bark at people walking by. One specifically barks when the neighbors are outside. Mainly it's one barks and the others follow suit. It's so hard with so many dogs. And trying to spend time with them all one on one is difficult as well. I was just outside spending time doing obedience as pack with the neighbors outside.

lizzybeth727

I would suggest working on recalls - when you call the dogs, they should come running to you. Start when they're kind of paying attention to you anyway, and call "hey dogs!" or something that will get all the dogs' attention. When they even look in your direction, throw a big handful of treats up (like confetti), and let them clean them up off the ground. Do this several times a day, and gradually practice when the dogs are more and more distracted. Then, when they start barking at the neighbors, you can call them and hopefully at least one or two will come running to you. When they do, make a BIG deal out of that, lots of loud praising, and of course, throw lots of treats. Hopefully, the other dogs will see that something fun is happening, and will also come to you.

Members online