Tennessee Looks to Join the Ranks of BSL States

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
(a) As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires:

(1) "Own" means to harbor, keep or exercise control over the dog, and "owner" means a person who, at the time of the offense, regularly harbors, keeps or exercises control over the dog;

(2) "Pit bull dog" means any pit bull terrier; and

(3) "Pit bull terrier" means any American pit bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American bulldog or American Staffordshire terrier breed of dog or any mixed breed of dog which contains as fifty percent (50%) of its breeding the breed of American pit bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American bulldog or American Staffordshire terrier, so as to be identifiable as partially of the breed American pit bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American bulldog or American Staffordshire terrier.

(b) It is an offense for any person to knowingly own a pit bull dog in this state.

(c) A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(d) In addition to the penalty imposed in subsection (c), the court making the sentencing determination for a person convicted under this section shall order the person convicted to surrender custody and forfeit the pit bull dog or pit bull dogs if the person convicted is the owner of the pit bull dog or dogs. Custody shall be given to a humane society incorporated under the laws of this state.

(e) Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit prosecution under any other provision of law.
I hope they're ready for the mass increase of dogs surrendered, the sudden drop off of licenses, the mass exodus as residents move to other states.

Anyone driving through the state with a pit bull would qualify as well.

The biggest problem though is that they don't define how they plan on identifying a American pit bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American bulldog or American Staffordshire terrier. They could just point to a dog and say ~ yup!! That's a pit bull because I think he's a pit bull. And the way these laws work out is that the owner then has to prove that the dog isn't. Very unconstitutional.

Supposedly, from the last reports, the bill will NOT go to the legislature as written. It's been sent to committee :rolleyes: to be rewritten as a "dangerous dog" statute rather than breed specific.

There's no breed as dangerous as a politician . . .

noludoru

Bored Now.
(1) "Own" means to harbor, keep or exercise control over the dog, and "owner" means a person who, at the time of the offense, regularly harbors, keeps or exercises control over the dog;
Renee, please correct me if I am wrong.. but say I was the neighborhood dog walker or dog-sitter and I had a pittie "under my control" for regular periods of time. Does that mean I could be considered the owner? :confused:

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Renee, please correct me if I am wrong.. but say I was the neighborhood dog walker or dog-sitter and I had a pittie "under my control" for regular periods of time. Does that mean I could be considered the owner? :confused:
Welcome to the world of stautory interpretation . . . and then even more wonderful world of the interpretation of badly written statutes!

I would say no, actually, not because of the wording, but because "owner" is generally an commonly understood term. The "under control" really is to net people who say . . ."He's not my dog, I've just been feeding him for 5 years!" However, you never know with cops and ACs and even judges . .. if I lived there and took care of other people's dogs I'd probably have to refuse to handle bullies for my own protection.

Miakoda

I've written several letters and mass emailed them out when I heard about this on another site.

My response? "We appreciate your concern, but as you are not a resident of Tennessee........" What morons!

Mia . . . send 'em to me and I'll send 'em from my address :D

Kinda shortsighted of the idiots, considering Tennessee garners a great deal of revenue from tourism . . . and people moving here from other states.

darkchild16

We are Home.
I cant see that passing in Tennessee I mean come on look at Cooks County it wont have a population after this LOL.

But seriously Tennessee has ALOT of APBT people living there I doubt if it is voted on that it will pass. I hope they do change it to Dangerous Dog and make it clearly defined as a dog that has exibited dangerous behavior.

Tazwell

Today, a white boxer came into the Grooming salon where I work-- and it made me think a little. He looks like an American bulldog, but with a docked tail, and a little boxier build.

I'll bet that if you docked all AMBulldogs' and Pit Bull's Tails, and even cropped their ears, too, They could all pass as 'boxers', or at least the majority of them.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
This sickens me.
I do not own a Pit but a few people I know own them along with other pittie breeds. VERY wonderful dogs. Charla has a rottie/pit cross, name is Bently and is the biggest goofball around. She has the mom to Bently, mom name's Beamer, very loving dogs.
Its a shame people want to "band" this breed.

Members online