Science Diet

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Thumbs down! Too bad we don't have a sig for that, just the title icon. But :yikes:

Unless it's for a documented medical reason like kidney or liver failure, etc.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Probably the last dog or cat food I would feed is Science Diet. The worst ingredient list ever unless you are feeding chickens. Just goes to show you how slick marketing can convince people to buy anything though. Look at the Beneful craze. More chicken food.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Honestly, Science Diet is not good. It's junk. If you want to find some really good quality foods try looking for Canidae, Innova, and Timberwolf Organics. Chicken Soup for The Pet Lover's Soul is good, too.

The ingredients of Science Diet Adult Original:
Chicken, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Ground Whole Grain Wheat, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Corn Gluten Meal, Brewers Rice, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), DL-Methionine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Chicken byproduct meal- consists of the dry, ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, and intestines -- exclusive of feathers except in such amounts as might occur unavoidably in good processing practices.
Animal fat is obtained from the tissues of mammals and/or poultry in the commercial process of rendering or extracting.
Chicken byproduct meal is an inconsistent ingredient because of the multiple organs used, their constantly changing proportions, and their questionable nutritional value. Chicken byproduct meal is much less expensive and less digestible than chicken meal, which Natura uses and which is considered the single best source of protein.

Animal fat- is a byproduct of meat meal processing. The origin of the contributing animals is never known, and the resulting oil is very low in linoleic acid -- an essential fatty acid that is important for skin and coat health.

Corn gluten meal- is the dried residue from corn after the removal of the larger part of the starch and germ, and the separation of the bran by the process employed in the wet milling manufacture of corn starch or syrup, or by enzymatic treatment of the endosperm.
Corn gluten meal is a low ash source of protein and acts as a urine acidifier in HealthWise Cat 'N Kitten formula. Cats vs Dogs: While not the best quality source of protein, the use of corn gluten in small amounts offer preventive health benefits for cats. In addition, unlike dogs, cats do not usually show signs of allergic reactions to corn products.

Brewer's rice- is the small milled fragments of rice kernels that have been separated from the larger kernels of milled rice.
Brewer's rice is a lower quality rice product that is missing many of the nutrients found in ground rice and ground brown rice. (See the descriptions for those ingredients.) Natura uses only whole ingredients, with their nutrients still intact.

Sorghum- is the ground grain of the sorghum plant.
Sorghum is a member of the grass family; its leaves and stalk resemble corn but it does not have ears. Although sorghum is a good source of carbohydrates, it is low in digestibility and therefore not used in Natura products.

Now compare that to Innova EVO:
Turkey, Chicken, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Potatoes, Herring Meal, Chicken Fat, Natural Flavors, Egg, Garlic, Apples, Carrots, Tomatoes, Cottage Cheese, Alfalfa Sprouts, Dried Chicory Root, Taurine, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, Vitamins/Minerals, Viable Naturally Occurring Microorganisms

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz

Pomp

It's amazing that Science Diet is recommended by every vet I have ever seen.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
After all of those "studies" and research that Science Diet does, you'd think they would've determined that there is a better ingredient than corn for dogfood...

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Not when you consider how much money they get for selling/recommending it.
Not to mention the whole holiday package, for the vets in Europe, come to the states to learn about SD and spend two weeks in a fancy shmancy hotel on us! :rolleyes:

daaqa

lurking near the surface
i have to say, though, growing up we fed science diet to our cats and dogs. we lived in a small farming community and didn't have many options. and growing up in such a small community, we could watch our pets' littermates grow up at the same time as ours. most people we knew just fed their animals the cheapest foods and leftovers. ours got science diet supplemented with eggs and some other raw/whole foods. and the difference was remarkable. my cat, levi, was twice the size and twice the gorgeous of all his littermates. no one could believe he came from the same parents. and that's just one of many examples.

knowing what i do about feed now that i am a "grownup," i wouldn't buy science diet ever again. one look at the ingredient list was all it took when i got sylvie. but, that said, it was better than the alternatives our friends chose when i was younger. or who knows, maybe their ingredients were better decades ago [like many huge companies..].

Members online

No members online now.