The musing thread

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
because sometime it isn't a vent.. or a good news.. it's just.. a musing :rofl1:

My musing today is about my job because being a dog walker is weird sometimes. You take a member of their family and you love them and take them out everyday and you kind of get acquainted with the lives of their people..the ups, the downs, the promotions, the weddings, the babies, the proposals, the funerals..just bits of their lives and it's natural as someone physically close to the situation to want to say "congratulations" or "I'm sorry" or "I'm so happy for you" or "your new shoes are fabulous and you are going to rock that interview I just know it" or "I'm sorry you are going through a tough time with the new baby and if you need anything..I'd be happy to help" but you can't.. because you are separated by this weird almost tangible "the help" barrier of weirdness. Which is natural and necessary for professionalism and I get that but there are times when it sucks. There are times where you want to rejoice or offer a hand or do something.. but there is this huge wall stopping you.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Really? Because I am totally the type at the preschool (as is the owner as well) that will comment on a cute new haircut or fawn over new baby brother of one of our students, listen to parents vents and struggles and commisserate lol but then I suppose it's a little different because I take care of their kids and talking about these things with the parents can be important because it lets us in on what is going on in the childs life and i am also a parent so we have that in common

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
My thing for today....

Where do random single shoes in the middle of the road come from? This seriously perplexes me lol

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I did not know this was a thing until Twitter illuminated it for me today.

Apparently One Direction fans like to ship members of the band with each other. They even have shipper names. Louis x Harry is "Larry." There's Liam x Zayn which is "Ziam." This is weird. I have never heard of this thing where people actually legit "ship" two REAL LIFE PEOPLE. I mean, TV shows, movies, books, yes. But real people?? WHAT?
Apparently the entire belief behind "Larry" is that that the guys are total in the closet and are actually in TRUE LOVE with each other but there's a massive management scheme to COVER IT ALL UP. Louis is dating some girl but OH NO, IT'S JUST A COVER UP. IT'S NOT REAL.

People do this? Like actually do this. I mean they don't just write fanfiction, which is kind of weird enough (these are REAL PEOPLE!), but they legit believe this stuff.

The whole thing is disturbing to me. Apparently people compare it to historical fiction but THOSE PEOPLE ARE ALL DEAD. I'm also highly disturbed by the fact that these guys are saying they are straight and people are like NUH-UH TOTALLY GAY FOR YOUR FRIEND. Why is that okay? Why is that any more okay than when somebody says they are gay and people tell them being gay is a bad thing... I just... wow.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
My thing for today....

Where do random single shoes in the middle of the road come from? This seriously perplexes me lol
YES! there is always one random shoe.

and you know what I see all the time on sidewalks? One random baby sock! lol it's so weird! Where are these babies that are all kicking off their socks?

I did not know this was a thing until Twitter illuminated it for me today.

Apparently One Direction fans like to ship members of the band with each other. They even have shipper names. Louis x Harry is "Larry." There's Liam x Zayn which is "Ziam." This is weird. I have never heard of this thing where people actually legit "ship" two REAL LIFE PEOPLE. I mean, TV shows, movies, books, yes. But real people?? WHAT?
Apparently the entire belief behind "Larry" is that that the guys are total in the closet and are actually in TRUE LOVE with each other but there's a massive management scheme to COVER IT ALL UP. Louis is dating some girl but OH NO, IT'S JUST A COVER UP. IT'S NOT REAL.

People do this? Like actually do this. I mean they don't just write fanfiction, which is kind of weird enough (these are REAL PEOPLE!), but they legit believe this stuff.

The whole thing is disturbing to me. Apparently people compare it to historical fiction but THOSE PEOPLE ARE ALL DEAD. I'm also highly disturbed by the fact that these guys are saying they are straight and people are like NUH-UH TOTALLY GAY FOR YOUR FRIEND. Why is that okay? Why is that any more okay than when somebody says they are gay and people tell them being gay is a bad thing... I just... wow.
I am all about fandoms being crazy.
I read harry potter fanfiction ALL THE TIME (dracoxharry, all kinds of things) but those are characters, in a book, and as characters I feel that they can be shaped and changed and made to say/do things because it's not like you are really harming or disregarding a real person with their own thoughts.. they are an IDEA, open to interpretation.

but IMO shipping real people, more-so than me just thinking it's weird, just seems..I dunno if "disrespectful" would be the right word. I mean we are taking these living human beings and basically forcing these story lines and fantasies on them and disregarding their actual actions and words.

to each their own but to me it just seems so..dehumanizing.

I can understand looking at two celebrities and thinking "they would be so cute together" or "I bet they like eachother.."
but to build up this fantasy and losing sight of the fact that these are REAL PEOPLE with real feelings, friends, relationships, thoughts.. IMO that isn't..healthy..

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Knowing babies, I can totally see the random baby sock on the sidewalk. Baby socks are impossible to keep on and sometimes I wonder why they even exsist lol.

But random adult shoe? Just one? How? Why? Where? .... WHAT? Lol

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
As for the whole ship thing. I don't really think it's disrespectful or anything. I also don't think (most of) the fans think it's actually real either. Like, I used to be obsessed with Panic at the Disco (still love them, but things changed when they broke up :() and BrendonxRyan was a "thing" (wasn't a term for it then, really) and Brendon even had a picture taken with a sign that said "Ryden is real" LOL! I used to want to name my kid Ryden! XD I don't think the band members took it that seriously or in an offensive way. My sister and I still swear to this day that they were lovers. But do I truly think that? No. Not that it isn't possible XD but I doubt it.

Xandra

Since Beanie brought it up my musing is fan fiction. I just find it weird. I mean, to each his own, and I've tried reading some and always come out of it not getting the point.
Ever read or watched something and wanted two characters to hook up, but they never do in canon? Realizing hook ups is the point of a heck of a lot of it :lol-sign:

I couldn't be bothered with the vast majority of platonic stuff. The smut almost never fails to make me laugh though, and I find people into fanfics to have a good sense of humor. The first one I read was Snape and Mme Hooch going at it. I still don't even know what to say about it, but it was entertaining.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Since Beanie brought it up my musing is fan fiction. I just find it weird. I mean, to each his own, and I've tried reading some and always come out of it not getting the point.
But you can find more awesome stories! I a fault don't really rad fanfic but uses to write some. I just liked getting to explore the characters more/work out my own version of some 'behind the scenes' kind of scenery.

I am all about fandoms being crazy.
I read harry potter fanfiction ALL THE TIME (dracoxharry, all kinds of things) but those are characters, in a book, and as characters I feel that they can be shaped and changed and made to say/do things because it's not like you are really harming or disregarding a real person with their own thoughts.. they are an IDEA, open to interpretation.

but IMO shipping real people, more-so than me just thinking it's weird, just seems..I dunno if "disrespectful" would be the right word. I mean we are taking these living human beings and basically forcing these story lines and fantasies on them and disregarding their actual actions and words.

to each their own but to me it just seems so..dehumanizing.

I can understand looking at two celebrities and thinking "they would be so cute together" or "I bet they like eachother.."
but to build up this fantasy and losing sight of the fact that these are REAL PEOPLE with real feelings, friends, relationships, thoughts.. IMO that isn't..healthy..
Pretty much this.

I mean, I'm not going to judge. If I've learned one thing in fandom it's the "I won't judge if you won't judge" but I will say I've never gotten it and it makes me uncomfortable because they are real people. It just FEELS different when you're shipping their character or making up huge plots, story lines and relationships because you're just adding/changing the already existing made up character and world. But when it's a real person? Just feels wrong. Real person fanfiction and ships are just....odd to me and feel more invasive?

ETA: Anyone that likes to read but doesn't get Fanfiction just hasn't found the right fandom or story yet :p But there is one out there that would make you a believer!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My musing: I hope my project update that I stayed late to do this afternoon really doesn't take 17 hours to complete like it was telling me. Here's to hoping its back up and running when I get in tomorrow. Or else when everyone logs in to our project it's going to run slooowwww.

Xandra

The extent of my fan fiction reading has been LOTR. Most of what I read was just really badly written--so I pretty much went between "Wow, this story sucks" and "NO! Legolas is NOT gay!" :lol-sign:
yeahh that sounds about typical. But there are well-written ones out there! It's pretty cool when you find someone who writes the characters just as they are in your head. There's so much of it out there that you can be almost guaranteed that there is something out there that suits your tastes (like Linds said). That said, I've never found one that matches the original author well enough that I can REALLY get into it. Like, I can't read a novel-length fanfic with lots of character development and such (that's what canon was for IMO!). Personally I don't care if the writing isn't the best, as long as it's entertaining. Illustrations are a plus!

:p

See, I prefer giant long novel fics that make the characters their own and develop them more till you forget it's not Canon.

But that's sometimes hard to come out of and I need a couple short ones top bring me out of it.

And good pics are the cherry on top

Equinox

Yeah, I'm sort of in this boat, too. I've always seen characters in books/shows/movies as... well, just characters within the worlds the writers had created. I don't see any appeal in reading about characters with the same name and backstory written by other people, if that makes sense. They just don't really exist for me outside what the original author or writer wrote for them. It's just a little weird.

Don't get me wrong, I DO understand that others like it so I won't say it's pointless, but it's not something I really 'get', either. I did read one I liked, once - it was a Harry Potter one that was just around a page long, a bit of an epilogue that was tied together with elements of photography. However, I think I enjoyed it more as an individual piece of writing than I did as a part of the HP world.

FG167

Apparently One Direction fans like to ship members of the band with each other.
I don't know what this means?

Ok, I don't understand anything that is being said. Someone dumb it down for me? I love to read but I don't know what fan fiction is??

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I don't know what this means?

Ok, I don't understand anything that is being said. Someone dumb it down for me? I love to read but I don't know what fan fiction is??
"SHIPPING" is thinking that two characters (or people..) are going to be together/are meant to be together.
A "ship" is your chosen couple/pairing..

"I SHIP DRACO AND HARRY" (I think those two characters should be in a romantic relationship)

Fan fiction... is when fans write stories (sometimes very long almost novels lol) about characters or worlds or shows.

For example..
Some are stories that happened BEFORE the main work of fiction was written.. "The story of how lily and james fell in love before they had harry potter" (my personal favorites)
and some are stories that happen after, some intertwine with the main work etc..
it's all in good fun and there are some very well written ones!

It must be how people who aren't into dogs feel when they come to a dog forum, listening to people speak about fandom while not knowing/being part of/understanding must just sound like a completely different language.

Members online

No members online now.