Trick of the week: Frog!

SaraB

This week's trick of the week is Frog! This is a great stretching exercise and a great warm up before physical activity. And it's adorable.

Ready.... Set.... Go!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Does anyone have tips for trying to free shape this one? I'm trying so hard to refrain from luring right now and I think this would be fun to train.

SaraB

Does anyone have tips for trying to free shape this one? I'm trying so hard to refrain from luring right now and I think this would be fun to train.
Use a pillow or a cushion under them and then get progressively smaller and smaller until they are doing it on just a blanket and then nothing at all. I have a video:

Frog is at 2:22.
[YOUTUBE]LkKKby8iEHQ[/YOUTUBE]

DJEtzel

I had no idea what "frog" was until I watched Sara's video... haha. XD

I'm going to start trying this with Recon tonight... ought to be interesting.

Lyzelle

Zane can't bend that way, so we'll be sitting out of this one. Looking forward to seeing everyone else's though.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I had no idea what that was, but this is interesting, I'm going to try it with Talon!

SaraB

My goal with this trick is to get Zinga's on verbal cue (it's sometimes there, sometimes not). Zuma has her own version of this called "Splat", it's a frog plus a head down and it's adorable. My goal is to increase the distance she can do this from me, right now I have to be within 2-3 feet from her.

Here's Zuma's Splat for now.
[YOUTUBE]Psw6EdAEXFk[/YOUTUBE]

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
My goal with this trick is to get Zinga's on verbal cue (it's sometimes there, sometimes not). Zuma has her own version of this called "Splat", it's a frog plus a head down and it's adorable. My goal is to increase the distance she can do this from me, right now I have to be within 2-3 feet from her.

Here's Zuma's Splat for now.
[YOUTUBE]Psw6EdAEXFk[/YOUTUBE]
OMG I about died when she did "SPLAT"! ROFL! :rofl1: People in the library now think I am crazy. Thank you.

DenoLo

Oh my gosh, Zuma's is ADORABLE.

Here is mine and Lo's first try:
[YOUTUBE]l61n06KG4B8&feature[/YOUTUBE]

SaraB

Very cute!!!

Well, I hit today's training session with this in mind. Did some nice stuff with Zuma, I was able to kneel instead of sit on the ground to get Splat. Zinga on the other hand was all over the place as usual so we scratched the original plan and just did impulse control stuff and balance ball stuff (she can't spaz out on the balance ball and has to concentrate on staying still rather than vibrating). So no frog for her tonight.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
So I started working on this with Art and Talon yesterday night.

Artimis: ERG. I gave up on shaping it with him. I lured it and he's doing pretty well with it.

Talon: I shaped it with him and he did great! He accidentally kicked his right foot out into position so I gave him a jackpot and he caught on really quick. The problem is getting his left leg to kick out!

I started trying to just reward for left leg movement, but he's having a lot of trouble with it. He sits there with his right leg in froggy position and left leg under his tummy. :rolleyes: lol

Any suggestions? I tried the pillow after a while to see if that would get his left leg out but no success. He only wants to eat the pillow. :mad: I think it's just too big for him and I have no others. So now I'm stuck with Talon thinking he is oh so clever kicking his right leg out as far as it will stretch, putting his arms out front and laying his head down, which is perfect if it wasn't for that left leg!

SaraB

So I started working on this with Art and Talon yesterday night.

Artimis: ERG. I gave up on shaping it with him. I lured it and he's doing pretty well with it.

Talon: I shaped it with him and he did great! He accidentally kicked his right foot out into position so I gave him a jackpot and he caught on really quick. The problem is getting his left leg to kick out!

I started trying to just reward for left leg movement, but he's having a lot of trouble with it. He sits there with his right leg in froggy position and left leg under his tummy. :rolleyes: lol

Any suggestions? I tried the pillow after a while to see if that would get his left leg out but no success. He only wants to eat the pillow. :mad: I think it's just too big for him and I have no others. So now I'm stuck with Talon thinking he is oh so clever kicking his right leg out as far as it will stretch, putting his arms out front and laying his head down, which is perfect if it wasn't for that left leg!
Zinga did that for awhile. Can you try folding a blanket under him instead? That way you can try folding it different ways to make it higher or lower.

Taqroy

We've been working on pivot still but I'm going to abandon that (with no guilt what-so-ever) because I would much rather do this. Lol. Hopefully I'll be able to fit a session in with Tipper tonight.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Here is where we are at so far....

I'm a little frustrated that she did the frog perfectly towards the beginning of the video and even though I jackpotted her she didn't really offer it again... but then I was rewarding her for only putting one leg out too so it's probably my fault.

Next session we are going to focus more on getting both of those legs out.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4PtMpMfEGEk?list=UUivDfVVknpq7yuFg117g35w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ETA: UGH I've tried multiple different embed options INCLUDING what worked with the last two videos I posted on this forum and it isn't working. This is so frustrating!!!!

Here's the link.... and someone please help me figure out how to embed videos in this thread. It's really really frustrating me that I can't figure it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PtMpMfEGEk&list=UUivDfVVknpq7yuFg117g35w&index=1

Last edited:

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Mrrg. I'm honestly thinking this position might be painful for Frodo. He's never liked his back legs fussed with and will not lay frog style ever on his own, and I think every corgi I have known has done it without prompting.

I am going to keep working at it, but I promise nothing!!

Can puppies do all this stuff? Like all of our weekly tricks? Because I will have one of those next week, and I'm unsure if this kind of think is above 12 week old puppy brains...

DenoLo

Lo never offers it on her own or lays like that ever, but it was pretty easy to lure her into it. I'm going to try it with Lucy this weekend, but I think she'll have a tougher time with it.

SaraB

Can puppies do all this stuff? Like all of our weekly tricks? Because I will have one of those next week, and I'm unsure if this kind of think is above 12 week old puppy brains...
Yes!! To be honest, most of these tricks are from Trkman's online puppy class, including Frog. Siri's sister is working on that right now!

SaraB

Checking to see how this is going for everyone! I haven't practiced it much lately, still working on adding distance to Zuma's and still trying to get Zinga's under stim control.

The next trick will be posted Feb 17th, so you have plenty of time to work on this still. :)

Members online

No members online now.