How often do you give your dog(s) a bath?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I know we've had this thread a couple time before, but it's been a while and we have a lot of new people, so lets do it again!

How often do your dogs get bathed?
What do you use?
How do you dry them?
Etc.

:D

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Teagan only gets a bath when she is dirty and her hair is really dry, but other than that she never gets bathed. So she probably gets bathed once every 4-5 months. Oh, and when she does get washed I just try and have a shower with her. Its so much easier and Im gonna get wet anyways so I might as well have a shower ha ha, Plus Teagan much prefers showers to baths.

I use live clean shampoo and conditioner.

And I usually just dry her with a towel, let her have her way with the carpet in the bed room and if I have time I blow dry her hair.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Arson~
Bathed weekly
Black Magic Soap, tea tree human shampoo, whatever conditioner is in the tub
Quickly toweled off and held

Smudge and Cider~
Bathed once a month
Great smelling shampoo from petedge, whatever conditioner is in the tub
Toweled off more thoroughly, often bathrobe Dekka made thrown on them

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Whenever he asks for one.

Seriously, I know it's bath time when he begs to join me in the shower. :rolleyes:

I'd guesstimate that it happens maybe once every 2-3 months at most, maybe even longer in between. He's not a roller, so he's never come home stinky or gross.

ETA: Oops. I didn't remember to answer all the questions.

I just use a generic brand of oatmeal puppy shampoo on him. I know. Fancy.

And to dry, I just towel him off with a couple beach towels. Again. Fancy. :p

Last edited:

Kimbers

Not often enough? Kailey gets scared. I have to get in the shower with her to work the shower head, but she tries to climb up my legs and tends to leave ugly bruises. When we're done, the stress gives way to insane zoomies where everything and anything is fair game to nom on.
Schaffer's fur is a pain in the a** to dry. (I use a blow drier and towel for him, Kailey's good with just a towel.)
I generally just brush ground oatmeal and baking soda into their coats every couple weeks and save wet baths for when they've really gotten into something.

In the summers, Pip gets bathed about once a week... it helps with his allergies. In the winters, not unless he gets dirty. I use Douxo Calm shampoo.

Squash gets bathed every once in awhile... maybe once every couple of months over the course of this summer. I probably should bathe him more often because I think he's developing some mild allergies, and it would probably help a lot with his shedding. I just use Pip's shampoo for him.

Maisy I've never bathed that I can recall. She just doesn't seem to get dirty and she has such a low maintenance coat, she doesn't shed hardly at all.

I just towel them off and let them air dry, I don't do anything special. But no one has a thick coat around here, so they all dry really fast.

Whenever I look at them and think wow, you are really dirty! (or when its really muddy out and they come in covered) I hop in the shower with them (well, one at a time and we barely fit that way) and use Natures Specialty Plum Silky on them because I like the smell:) Towel dry and then they run

chaospony

Every 3 weeks usually.
You can tell when they need a bath by the way the hair is after being brushed.
Longest they have gone between was about 5 weeks.

We usually use Pantene, mane and tail or tres eme. Which ever is on sale.
We take them to the dog park for zoomies to dry if we can. In the winter the heat gets cranked up and they sleep in towels for about 6 hours. Both are terrified of the blow dryer.

They can finally tolerate the shower, both were terrified of it at first. We had to fill the tub and use buckets of water. Took forever!

JacksonsMom

Jackson gets bathed once every 7-10 days. We are currently using Chris Christensen shampoo/conditioner, I'm loving it, makes him so clean and soft and shiny. :) I let him air dry.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Umm... not too often! Maybe every 2-4 months (more often if they roll in something disgusting).

I use Earthbath. Right now we're using Mango Tango, but we also have the tea tree oil one as well.

They are dried with towels, and then left to air dry. They all have wash and wear coats so they're easy :D

GoingNowhere

eh probably once or twice a year or whenever I'm home and decide that I'm in the mood for bathing a dog!

Random question - can you use human conditioner on dogs?

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Well, Pen and Kimma get bathed like once every 8-9 months LOL. I love having a breed that doesn't smell at all. Bubbles gets a bath right before she has a show, so at this rate, once every 6 weeks or so.

Bubbles and Pen get blown out, Kimma air dries/rubs herself on the carpet since she's not a fan of the dryer. I just use some generic oatmeal shampoo on them that I think I got at Petco. I've had it since Kimma was a puppy LOL.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
It depends on the season... In summer it happens more frequently mostly to make sure that Menchi's sensitive skin is nice and clean.

So in summer it can happen once every 2-3 weeks at times. When the weather is less hot they usually get a bath once ever two months.

Watson gets a bath when Menchi gets one :D

For Menchi I have an antibacterial shampoo with tea tree oil and herbals. Watson uses a nice almond/vanilla scented shampoo.

They get toweled off and then air dry. Wash and wear coats for the win :)

yoko

How often do your dogs get bathed? Once every two weeks or so. Sometimes every week.
What do you use? I use to use Earthbath but I've developed some sort of allergy to it so the last two times I just used my shampoo :/
How do you dry them? Usually takes three towels and lots of shaking. Then she lays in her crate on some towels until she is dry enough not to leave damp spots

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Juno is being bathed once weekly at the moment, with Earthbath tea tree & aloe shampoo. For her suspected allergies. Otherwise once every month or two was the normal. She air dries yayy.

Lucy gets bathed at the groomers every 8 weeks. Occasionally I will do it myself between grooming appts. I usually blow dry her because it looks nicer but sometimes I'm too lazy.

joce

Byron got his first bath this summer for the last two years? He stays clean.

Blitz every two months Or more often, cuz he gets dirty! Loves mud and poop. He will just jump in the shower with Chaz to.

Gizmo only when she's blowing her coat and I'm helpin it along.

Tawny. About never. She hates it. Life and death battle. Same with her nails.

SpringerLover

Not as often as they used to?

Buzz gets bathed about once a month or so. I usually use the Isle of Dogs shampoo but bought some Richards Organics to use on him last time.

Bailey is bathed less frequently because although she gets dirty, she doesn't get smelly like Buzz!

BostonBanker

A few times a year, more if they find something dead to roll in.

Meg's hard. I can't do her in the shower anymore. The one time I did, she had a panic attack every time I turned the shower on for a week. I can do her in the driveway with the hose when it is warm out; mostly both dogs get done at the barn, generally when I'm coming back from a trail ride where I notice they are both rolling in something, and I can't charge Tristan at them fast enough to stop it :p We have enough local "pet wash" stations that I could take either one of them there in a pinch.

I use Pet Head strawberry yogurt shampoo, because I like the smell. No conditioner needed on my guys! I rub them down well with towels if we are at home and let them air dry. Their crazy post-bath zoomies take care of the drying at the barn!

Toller_08

Usually about once a month, so every 3-4 weeks. Unless they've been in the river. Then they get bathed immediately after (the Dobes break out in a rash if river water is left on them and Dance sometimes gets itchy). For a while I was having to give Ripley weekly baths with a special shampoo for his skin issue and allergies, but he seems ok now so I'm just leaving him as long as possible without a bath. If it starts again, back to weekly baths it is. But normally I try not to more than once a month unless necessary.

Dance is dried with my force dryer and the Dobes just get towel dried. Ripley has to use a hyper allergenic (unscented) shampoo, but the girls use whatever I have around. Right now it's Bark 2 Basics, but I buy all sorts of different brands. I use conditioner on all of them as well.

Sox gets rinsed and blow dried about once a week, helps shedding and his allergies. He gets an actual bath with shampoo every couple months or whenever he starts to smell a little dog-like.

Members online

No members online now.