Havens Seperation Anxiety

Haven is outside for the first time on a chain. I cant deal with her in the house all the time anymore. So I put her out on a 20ft chain tied to a tree in the yard (its 50 degrees outside) and she is running around back and forth, barking, and trying to chew her chain in half. She has seperation anxiety really bad thats why she cant stay in the house, when shes left in the garage, she chews the door handle and the siding around the door. My parents dont want a fence around our yard for some reason im not sure of. They wont pay for a electric fence. If I put her on a regular tie out she will chew it in half. I dont have much of a choice, oh and i have a crate but when i leave her in it she bark and trys to chew through it. I went to unchainyourdog.com for information about the dog trollie, and it seems really good. She would have alot more freedom than she has now on her chain. I know you cant just throw them out there, and I didnt. But I would rather leave her out on a chain then inside a little crate while im at school, or something. I think the dog trolie is a good idea and im getting it put up tommorow to see how she does. She stays in most of the time, dont get me wrong. But she dont get alot of exercise when she is in here either.
:rolleyes:
Do you think the dog trollie is a good idea?

I havent been able to fence in an area of the yard for the dogs yet, we use an overhead cable run, dog trolley. Unfortunently there are 2 dogs here and only one can be outside at a time.

Make sure Haven cant wrap the cable around either end of whatever the overhead cable is attached too and be sure there isnt anything she can jump over while attactched to the cable.

We were going to put it between two trees.. in the yard.. Like a cable across the trees and hanging off of it was going to be a 10ft chain bc she can chew cables in half im afraid.

lucille

southern_girl09 said:
Do you think the dog trollie is a good idea?

No, I do not think leaving a dog outdoors on a trolley is a good idea if you are not around.
I believe with patience you can crate train her, a crate is a safe area and most dogs cannot chew their way out. If a little more space would be good, they have fold out cages, I have a crate inside a fold out cage for my dogs.

Outdoors they are at the mercy of the weather, and there are many things that can happen to a chained dog involving other animals, strangers, dognappers,etc. which would not be an issue if the dog was indoors and crated.

I understand that many of us have to work/go to school/ etc. There is another thread on this site about crating dogs and as with many dog management issues, opinions are strong and vary widely. Having my dogs crated, and having my son let them out for a while when I am away is the best solution for me. There are just too many things that can go wrong outdoors for a chained dog, IMHO.

Fran27

I'm for the crate also. Have you tried getting her used to it progressively? Most dogs don't like it at first, but with patience they get to appreciate it.

I would never leave a dog alone outside when I'm not home personally. I've heard too many stories of dogs being stolen or shot. That, plus he could get attacked by another dog.

T

tessa_s212

If you don't have a fence, you can still get the trolley! Just don't leave her on it by herself! Too many things could happen, including strangulation!

I second the crate training. Do you have a Kong? Kongs are really great to keep a dog busy when they are in a crate. You can fill them with treats and peanut butter. I like to put a handful of treats in, some peanut butter, some more treats(in layers), and then cover the bottom whole with thick peanut butter. The dog has to get through all that peanut butter first, and then try to knock all of the treats out! It keeps my dogs very busy. ;)

She is crate chained. She varks when she is in it and my mom has a 8 month old baby in the other room and she cant be barking while he is asleep. That is the problem and when i leave her alone out of the crate she chews everything up. I have already lost a playstation controller and a printer cable.

By the way I am getting the trolley-

RD

Are you dead yet?
Hmmm. I'd leave her in the crate while you are at school. It's safer for her. She might not get to run as much in it, but she can run after you get back with your supervision. And, can I ask why you would rather tie her out in the yard than work on her separation anxiety?

Get the trolley, that's better than a chain to drag around, but PLEASE PLEASE do not leave her on it unattended.

because I have tried working with her and she just wont stop. She is probably scared im going to leave her somewhere like her last owners did.

lucille

Send a PM to the RedyreRottweiller guy, I bet he can suggest how to stop her from barking. His little puppy training post was right on.
Most people respond to barking, even by yelling, and thus reinforce it. Intuitively the answer has got to be paying her attention while she is quiet.

RD

Are you dead yet?
southern_girl09 said:
because I have tried working with her and she just wont stop. She is probably scared im going to leave her somewhere like her last owners did.
You haven't had her for very long, I wouldn't expect a ton of progress in that short period of time either..

I hate to be a downer but if you can't handle her, perhaps you should place her in a home that can?

If you wont crate her please build a kennel instead of tying the dog up.A kennel can protect her from animals and any harm.That way you can build a dog house as well and she will have some shelter.

There is no way I'm giving my dog up because she has a little problem. I can handle her and im not expecting a great amount of progress in a month (which is how long i've had her.) Like I said, she stays in the house most of the time and we dont have this problem. She has a crate and she has a chain and shes about to have a trolley. We dont have close neighbors so the barking outside isnt a problem there. I can see her being on the trollie during the day some. You all may think that is wrong but its just something that has to be done. I think its better than sitting in a crate for 8 hours. She may go in and out during those 8 hours. And she will be supervised my mom is here all day and i can see her out my window also.

So she can chew through steel cable? Even coated steel cable? Keep the lead as light as possible so she dosent feel it unless she is pulling againts it and the overhead cable.

I have a 50' overhead cable about 10' off the ground and a 20' lead on it. The house side dosent need a stop for the lead but the other side is attached to a tree and has a stop about 15' from the end, to keep the dogs from getting around the tree and tangled/snagged.

You need to make sure there isnt anything she can jump over or snag on while on the lead or she could choke herself. Unfortunently 1 of my jeeps is in the yard where the dogs can get to on the run, to date and fingers crossed they havent gotten snagged on it.

My major worry here is there is rumored to be a dog fight ring about 10 miles north of here so I rarely leave either dog outside unsupervised lest they get snatched as bait dogs.

Get her used to the run slowly, put her on it while you are in view and move out of sight for short periods at a time making the times longer and longer, same as you would for crate training. If she does have seperation anxciety being outside isnt going to cure that untill she gets used to being alone outside, same as she would be getting used to being in a crate.

lucille

southern_girl09 said:
You all may think that is wrong but its just something that has to be done.

I spent some time organizing my thoughts and attempting to give you a good answer. Why did you ask our advice if your actions were a foregone conclusion?

It is my opinion that chaining or putting a dog on a trolley and then leaving is a bad idea. While you do say your mom is home, you also say there is an 8 month old baby to be looked after and I can guarantee, having raised 2 sons, that Mom has her hands full and will not be monitoring your dog every moment.

T

tessa_s212

southern_girl09 said:
No she wont. Not every minute and I came on here to see if people would think it was a good idea.
Well, you have gotten your answers. :) Whether or not you choose to obsorb the information and opinioins is your choice. ;)

Check the area where the run is being put up make sure she cant slip her collar or get snagged and get her used to the idea, you should be fine. Better on teh cable run than just chained up.

Members online

No members online now.