Could/Would/Should Have - my writing

With this year being as it has been for me, being much of the time in deep and dark thoughts/energy, having had to deal with suicidal business, my friend's troubles, my grandfather's decline, and being in a general unbroken pensive/skeptic mood for around 8 months now I needed an outlet of some sort. It has taken the form of a short story collection. The first entry of which I am proud (we'll see about that...) to present to all the good people here on Chazhound =)

It takes the form of the last 3 days of life of a young, seemingly average girl. It starts on the last day and ends on the first. It's structure is abit...different and things may seem abit surreal. I apologize if it's crappy or difficult to read but it's just starting out and I may make edits later - I just really needed to get it out tonight. It isn't going to make it into any literature competitions anytime soon nor is it meant to...it's more of a outlet and therapeutic thing for me.

Thoughts good or bad are appreciated and hope you find it a enjoyable and interesting read =)

http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/could-have/

Thanks again Renee, the structure of it is rather Vibrant - Grey. As her life comes to a close and things get more desolate things pop out more, become more vibrant, and emotions become more strung up/intense - before things get to that climax, well - you'll see lol.

A few updates on the blog though. - "Would have" coming by the weekend.

I tend to use my blog for letting work simmer, then going back and doing the final edits after I've looked at it and read any comments there might be. I've taken down a few stories to work on them for inclusion in the book I'm working on right now.

Oh wow, what kind of book/writing is it? You're really talented =)
I've got a couple in the works -- one's a pure fantasy novel, the other's a hybrid, The Black Dog Dialogues. It started out as a short story, meant to be part of an anthology with another novella that's ready for final editing and a couple of other short stories, but the thing has a life of its own and is already over 40,000 words and still building.

There may have to be a second BDD to accommodate the other novella (which may get expanded; several of the writers in my group have been hounding me to do that) and the short stories.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Seriously upset that "Would Have" isn't up. I searched the blog for it... I'm excited to read it.

Great writing. As Renee said, I love the imagery and the connection with the character. You've got talent.

Wow I look forward to that! Hope you will sign my copy of it =)

I've got a couple in the works -- one's a pure fantasy novel, the other's a hybrid, The Black Dog Dialogues. It started out as a short story, meant to be part of an anthology with another novella that's ready for final editing and a couple of other short stories, but the thing has a life of its own and is already over 40,000 words and still building.

There may have to be a second BDD to accommodate the other novella (which may get expanded; several of the writers in my group have been hounding me to do that) and the short stories.
Meagan,

Thanks so much! glad you're enjoying it so far. "Would have" is undergoing a few tweaks - will be up presently =)

Absolutely :)

The amount of research that goes into a story is surprising. I've been using old truckers' atlases, mapping, and managed to find a map of the US Interstate highway system as it was in 1970. Black Dog hasn't been anything at all like what I had planned in my head, not setting, characters, POV, content, LENGTH . . . nothing.

My family will NOT be given copies to read. They'd be appalled and scandalized, not that I care, and that's the way the story took itself. Honestly, compared to the other things I write, I was a little freaked out with it at first.

My family will not be given samples of my work to read either - regardless of if it ever gets published or not lol. They too would be really appalled to read something from my macabre, edgy, semi-Atheist (still on the fence 60/40 on that one) POV. I don't give much of a flying sh!t about them anymore needless to say but yah, don't need another altercation with them either. I was idealized to be a peaches-and-cream, pretty itty bitty, docile and obedient, god-fearing filial little girl....and look how all that turned out lol.

Black Dog sounds really intriguing! I've not really been into that much Americana but this sounds great (along with Psycho USA which is on my reading list).

I got started with it after re-reading some of the old dog articles I'd written before and looking at the research, specifically the ones about black dog mythologies. They're everywhere. Throughout the world, throughout time. Oddly one of the most intriguing aspects is the Black Dog of the American truck driver. I've talked to guys who have told me some hair raising stories about "seeing the black dog."

But there are other mysteries in it, too.

Like Gwen. ;)

Ah - Black shuck/The Hound of Baskerville =D

I didn't know he existed (or at least a version of him) in American culture.

I quite love the tale of the Welsh demon-hound Cwn Annwn. I could use a few of those guys for the holidays when the house gets invaded by unscrupulous relations (caught a younger male cousin of mine from my mom's side sniffing my underwear INSIDE my room once after coming home from shopping). Know of a reputable breeder?

The Black Dog is everywhere ;)

Romy's doing the cover art for me. Brutus (Filarotten's late, dark brindle Fila -- he was spectacular) is the Black Dog.

The Cwn Annwn make an appearance in a longish poem (I think there are going to be two more parts) I wrote, Oubliette.

Oubliette

Members online

No members online now.