Tough toys for small dogs

Maxy24

When I was home two weeks ago I got a gift card to petco for $40 and I bought Tucker a bunch of stuff (though not as much as I thought I'd be able to get for $40). I got him a hoof, pig ear, tire biter, one of the toys you put water bottles in, and maybe something else, can't remember. Anyways I was talking to my mom today and, among several other Tucker related complaints, she said his chewing has become ridiculous (she used the word obsessive), he can now easily eat an entire bully stick in one day which is of course a problem. So I asked if he was using the tire biter I got him. She said he had destroyed it already :eek: So yeah, I need some ideas. They need to be enjoyable to chew (he LIKED the tire biter) but durable and the rights size for a 15 pound dog.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Nylabones and cow hooves at my house. Anything else takes the schnauzers 10 minutes max (though closer to 3) and the poodles a day to consume. Hooves last us a couple of months, just don't get the filled ones.

JacksonsMom

Himalayan Chews seem to last a while. Jackson is not an aggressive chewer but he will keep a small one around for 2 weeks. A large might be better for Tucker -- still small enough for him to chew, but just... bigger, LOL. Nylabones are another good longer lasting chew toy. The size medium Cuz Ball, Jackson likes to chomp on and squeak. The small is better sized for his mouth and he likes it much better, but he's gotten a hole in 2 of those.

Maxy24

We do have a couple of nylabones that we got before we even got him. One is just a regular small one and the other is blue with pointy things on it. He hasn't destroyed those and he does like them, especially the blue one. However he is currently bored with them so I think I put them away to come out later. I don't know if mom gave him the hoof yet, I put it away when we got it because he already had a brand new bully stick out that was holding his interest really well. Next time I talk to her I'll have to see if she'd given it to him. I worry about the Cuz because it has feet which I feel he will remove and consume. I'll have to check out the Himalayan chews though. Can you buy them at pet stores or do you order them online?

Has anyone heard of/tried a hurley toy?
Hurley | West Paw Design

Or do you know if the orka toys (like the orka jack) are strong?

Crazy Dog

Lula is not a big chewer. However, I work at a shelter. We have lots of dogs there that like to chew and we have to have stuff that is safe for them to chew on while in their kennels and easy to clean. We use Nylabones including the Rino toys, different types of Kong toys, different types of Busy Buddy toys, balls and harder knotted rope toys. All these toy brands pretty much stay intact and are pretty indestructible. Very rarely do we have a dog that will destroy a Nylabone or a black kong. However, it does occasionally happen. Maybe you can try some of the Busy Buddy Toys by Premier. They come in small sizes too. Or try a hard knotted rope toy. The dogs always enjoy those and they are pretty durable. Good Luck and hope this helps. :)

Maxy24

I'm going to petsmart today so I'll pick something up. He never chews on normal kongs or balls (I assume because his teeth just slip off when he bites down hard), or rope toys, but I think nylabones or kong bones/dental toys might work. He likes toys that are not smooth (like the tire has grooves and one of his nylabones has a bunch of pointy bumps) but that probably makes them easier to destroy. That's why I was thinking he might like an Orka jack, they have some bumps on them I think, plus they have holes in the tops of the arms, I thought he might like the design. But I don't want to spend the money if he'll destroy it. I'll have to try and find some reviews.

Members online

No members online now.