Dental Hygiene for Dogs

Step 1 – Select an Appropriate Time

Find a quiet, convenient time when you and your dog are both relaxed.

Step 2 – Acquaint Your Dog with the Process

For the first few sessions, don’t even use a toothbrush. Hold your dog the same as when you cuddle him. Gently stroke the outside of his cheeks with your finger. After he becomes comfortable with your touch, place a dab of dog-designed toothpaste on your finger and let him taste it. Dogs love the taste of our dog toothpaste products. (Never use human toothpaste – they foam too much and dogs dislike the flavor and sensation)

Step 3 – Introduce the Brush

Place a small amount of toothpaste on a dog-designed toothbrush. In a slow, circular motion, gently brush one or two teeth and the adjoining gum line.

Step 4 – Begin Brushing

Over the next few days, gradually increase the number of teeth you brush. It is important to eventually brush the rear teeth. Plaque and tartar have a greater tendency to form on the back molars and they are often overlooked because the tartar cannot be seen unless the dog’s gums are pulled back.

Go slowly and gently. Stop brushing when you decide to stop – before your dog begins to fuss. Stop each session while it is still fun and praise your dog lavishly after brushing. If he learns that fussing makes the brushing end, the procedure becomes more difficult.

Build up to about 30 seconds of brushing on each side. Dogs don’t accumulate much tartar on the inside surfaces of the teeth – concentrate on the outer surfaces and gums.

Follow these 4 Simple Steps and your dog will look forward to tooth brushing. It will become a pleasant activity for both of you. Brush your dog’s teeth at least 2 times a week to prevent tartar buildup. Ask your veterinarian to conduct a dental examination as part of your dog’s yearly medical check up.

they did this on one of my other forums too...

I asked if the author knew about them posting them and they stopped.:confused:

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Step one: Call vet.
Step two: Take Ares in for a dental cleaning.

(Because raw diet isn't doable right now and for me to clean his teeth is too stressful for him, leading to too much aggression and it's never a good situation for either of us. As much as I dislike putting him under for the cleaning, it really is the best option for Ares.)

Members online