Border collie eats rabbit poop in the yard

patches07

How do I stop my 9wk old border collie pup from eating rabbit tirds? Is this harmful to her, since she hasn't had all her vaccine shots?:confused:

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Patches, I've got 6 dogs, all of which eat rabbit poop, horse poop, goat poop, anything they can find here on the farm, and the worst that has happened is some bad breath, or maybe a little throw up...

As for stopping her from eating it, say "Aaah! Leave it!" if a firm, yet calm vioce, and keep a close eye on her, when you see her going to get some say "aaah! Leave it!" and if she so much as looks at you say "Ohh good girl! That's a good gril!" love on her, and if you've got treats in your pocket or a toy with you, reward her with more than verbal praise. :)

Good luck, and welcome to the forum! If you've got more questions, feel free to ask, and I and others will try our best to help you! :)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
^^Ditto. Mine enjoy rabbit and deer and the occassional horse puck if they can get ahold of it before I see them. They're fine, they just don't get to come near me until I can get some doggy breath spray into their mouths.

"Leave it" is one of those super awesome must have commands, like sit and stay.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Yeah, I gave up over rabbit and deer (it's EVERYWHERE!!), but I can usually smell horse coming up on the trail and will intercept then.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Great advice Zoom and Shay. Leave It has to be the most, wonderfully, awesome command ever invented.

I only have one thing to add.....coming from a Border Collie addict....where'd your pup come from? Pictures? :D

Hillside

Original Twin
How do I stop my 9wk old border collie pup from eating rabbit tirds? Is this harmful to her, since she hasn't had all her vaccine shots?:confused:
My Aussie eats rabbit poop in the house. Leave it will usually work, but bunny poo is so small that he usually has it before I can notice.

(Note to self, tell bunny to poop less.)

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Luckily I only have to worry about rabbit poop, but it seems to be EVERYWHERE lol.. and chloe loves it :rolleyes:

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Yup, Xena eats her share of poo. Bunny, deer, other dog, cat. So far, just gives her bad breath. I tell her no and pull her away when I catch her, but it would seem that her system can handle it.

The other day the cat pooped on the landing. I noticed it on my way upstairs to put something away. 5 minutes later when I came back to clean it up, I only found Xena licking her chops. Yum.

lol, at least it isn't from your cat box!!! I gave up on that.. Just put it away when doggies are in! But bunny poo is different. x.x

Nasty dogs!! lol! Hershey surprisingly can stick his head in the hooded litter box... *sigh* His head is bigger than that thing! Here is how you can think about horse poop, its actually somewhat good for dogs. lol Thats what I have heard.

Bear Luv

CEO of the Candy Cult
OK, I am going to come right out and say it lol. I have had rabbits for 7 years, and they eat better then we do xD (we being my family and I lol). Rabbit dropping will probably do more good to your dog then harm. Often rabbits eat their own poo to put nutrients back into their system. Sounds gross right? Rabbits are extremely healthy creatures, wild ones at least. Domestic ones depending on the owner. You have nothing to worry about ^_^ Just let your dog enjoy himself. I dont think it really matters that he is eating it, unless you really want him to stop.

LuvsDogs

When we had a guinea pig, then dwarf rabbit April used to eat their poop. Dogs in the wild eat grass eating animals, stomach contents, bones, meat etc. They are just getting what nature intended.

Members online

No members online now.