My dogs been bitten by a cat HELPPP!!!

Beaux

Hi everyone, my dog was bitten on his ear by a cat about a week ago, he became quite poorly from it so he was taken to the vets the next day and given some pain relief and antibiotics, hes still no better and hes not been walkin properly on his back legs, it looks as if either his back or back legs are hurting, and now this morning he cant wall on one of his front legs, im really concerned about him, hes going to the vets again today, we've been with him a few times now and they dont seem to be helping :(

Xandra

Wow, did it get really infected? He may have something else going on. Hope he improves asap!

yoko

I agree it doesn't sound like something that happens from a cat bite.

Have you tried a different vet? Obviously something is wrong I'd want a vet that doesn't see what you are describing and labels it 'nothing'

K

Kaydee

Yeah Sophie's had a zillion bites and scratches from the cats, you've got something more serious going on there, I'd find another vet Monday morning.

Judging from the massive infections my mother got from her cat just playing with her, I wouldn't doubt that a dog could get similarly sick from a bite. I would get the same scratches from her cat, and nothing would happen, they didn't even get red, but mom had to go to the ER one time, her arm swelled up to a huge size, and get IV antibiotics. It was kind of scary. She joked, "If I die from this, a cat scratch, put it in the obituary, it's just ridiculous not too!" The cat really loved mom, and when mom died, the cat had a meltdown that was almost too much to watch. She went to one of the aids in the assisted living place mom was in, and is doing great.

Doberluv

It's amazing what cat bites can do. It could be that the infection has traveled into his whole circulatory system. He may need hospitalization. And I agree it could be something else and it's just a coincidence. At any rate, I'd definitely get a 2nd opinion asap. I hope he will get better. Sending lots of get well vibes.

Red.Apricot

Cat bites can be nasty. My mom was bit on the wrist by my sister's cat; just a small puncture, didn't even bleed.

Two days later, the wound was still clean looking, but she had a green line from wrist to armpit. The doctor said a day later it would have killed her. :[ Antibiotics cleared it up, though.

Doberluv

Beaux...did your dog have a tetanus shot? Did the vet check for fever? He may need intravenous anti-biotics. Is he lethargic at all or having any difficulty breathing?

Still sending get well vibes. Keep us updated please.

Red Apricot...that sounds so scary. Yes, sometimes nothing comes of them but they can also become very dangerous, as there is a whole host of bacteria that cats can carry in their saliva.

Members online

No members online now.