Why don't they look at it from the dog's perspective?

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
LMFAO that was hilarious. I'm still laughing.

"man did you see the way she reacted to that rubber hand?" LMAO that was great.

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
well, it was a lot of anthropomorphizing, but overall, entertaining nonetheless.

bubbatd

That is a riot !!! Must say though that I always did that with my pups ..... not rubber gloves though ! Too funny on the human side !

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
well, it was a lot of anthropomorphizing, but overall, entertaining nonetheless.

Well, yes, and no. It makes the point that you just met someone and they are sticking this strange and unfamiliar item into your food. Its enough to **** anyone off, which is why it might not be the best temperment test. Yes, dogs that pass it are probably very stable . . . but dogs will fail who are perfectly fine.

Let see, the buttons we are pushing:

Strange environment
Strange person
Food
Strange object
Being harassed while eating
Generally high stress level

Are there worse ways to evaluate a dog? Yes. Are there better ways, definately, also, yes.

Sometimes the "How would I feel if . . ." question is helpful. Sometimes not, as PETA refuses to learn, but sometimes its good to just look at it from the dog's perspective.

And its really funny.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
It's amusing and more true than perhaps some people want to think. A woman I used to work with had an awesome dog she pulled from a shelter. Now, this shelter literally lives and dies by this method and this dog had failed the "stranger screwing with my food" test by growling. After a long argument and written agreement to absolve the shelter of responsiblity, she got the dog. You know how that ended up turning out?

As soon as the dog wasn't showing his ribs anymore, he quit being jerky about food. The dog was incredibly hungry and in a run with another dog, having to compete for food and apparently not winning too often. After he got used to knowing what a full stomach felt like, he was fine. And this woman had a small child in the house, so actually dangerous resource guarding wasn't going to be tolerated.

Members online

No members online now.