Help: Bald spot

I hope someone out there might be able to help...

I have an almost 10 month old Sheltie/Poodle mix. I've noticed that he has a bald spot on his left leg, up on his thigh. He doesn't bother with it.. no itching, scratching, licking, etc. He is pretty much an inside dog.. he only goes outside to go to the bathroom or for walks (especially now that it's winter!).

I tried my best to take a picture:

Does anyone have a clue what this could be? :confused: I am going to call the vet in the morning to see if I can get an appointment this week. I hope it isn't anything serious! This is my first puppy, so I am relatively new at this kind of thing and don't know much about illnesses (so I may just be overreacting!).

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Kelly & Cody

showpug

I would be concerned about ringworm which is not really a worm, but a skin fungus. It is highly contaigous so... best bet would be a trip to the vet!

Giny

I agree with ringworm or mange. A trip to vet might be in order, glad that read that you're making an appointment. I've also seen some dogs react to sight injection for vaccination the same way and the spot looks to be in an area where the injection is given. Did he receive and vaccinations lately?
Keep us posted on how the vet visit went.

bcjake

We have the same thing on our Border Collie. He's had it for a few weeks and its getting a little bigger. We showed it to the vet when we took him in for his Rabies vac. He didn't seem too concerned about it and gave me a topical cream to apply 2x daily. Hasn't done anything yet for it.

Debi

looks exactly like what my shepherd had. he developed a bald spot on his belly with those 'rings' inside. he also never itched it, licked it, or even noticed it at all.......but it was ringworm. it took a month to get rid of it. (actually I treated longer) sometimes a cat can be a carrier (without actually having it themselves) and such was our case. my cat was elderly (16) and a carrier. the vet can determine by holding under a special light and doing scrapings. the actual fungus seems to be localized at the outer edges of the bald spot, and if not treated it will continue to grow. and yes, it is very contagious...I had a spot on my leg. it was a GOOD day when my pupper's hair began growing back!! sidenote here....I also never felt anything on the spot on my lower leg...not itching, nor pain, nothing. it was just that small circle. check other animals your dog has been around, they may been the initial carrier of the fungus. or it is just in soil...just one of those things.

Vet visit

I took Cody to the vet about the bald spot.. and he wasn't concerned at all. He said it looks like.. a BURN?!?! He asked if we had a radiator or something that he could've hit his leg on.. but we don't. The vet said it was nothing infectious or bacterial (i.e. ringworm). He said the two little spots look like burn marks on his skin. I can't imagine where in the world he would've gotten burned.

I am definitely going to keep my eye on it though just in case. Maybe I will ask next time I go back *just in case*

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!

Members online

No members online now.