Fast to mature

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Course there's always exceptions. Such as a 10yo very active and worked fcr who still raids the garbage. On the other hand Mir's had the unsupervised run of the house since she was 2yo and is super. :dunno:
I have found the girls to be a bit more serious and tend to grow up mentally quicker than the boys (isn't that across all species?).

And that garbage dog... Well he's like the peter pan of dogs really. :rofl1:

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I thought I remember RD and Sizzle saying that Mexidogs seem to mature mentally very quickly. But, that's more of a type than a breed I believe.
Talla matured lightning fast, both physically and mentally. Dobes seem to be slow-maturing dogs, though the bitches tend to "grow up" faster than the dogs. Within the breed there are puppies that look very mature once they hit the conformation ring at 6 motnhs, whereas others are still very puppyish.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I have found the girls to be a bit more serious and tend to grow up mentally quicker than the boys (isn't that across all species?).

And that garbage dog... Well he's like the peter pan of dogs really. :rofl1:
That's a good point...the few senior FCRs I know of who persist with stuff-eating, garbage-raiding, etc. are indeed males lol.

And that garbage dog...he definitely lives up the "Peter Pan Breed" label to the fullest lol. Like finding a super creepy doll while walking and gleefully bringing it home. That picture still gives me nightmares lol.

Gambit seemed impossibly mature mentally at 6-8 months old when I brought him home. No puppy stage for him, not one bit. Physically, he's still maturing at 2 (and please, please let his metabolism slow or his chest deepen, so he doesn't look like I starve him.). I believe coyotes mature fairly quickly, though.

Zhucca

Lab Love
I'm not even sure I trust "slow to mature" anyways. I just expect the majority of dogs to be immature and puppyish for the first 1-2yrs of their life.

Duke is lab, which are one the breeds famed to be horrendous puppies until 2-3. Duke matured at around 10 months, and hasn't really relapsed. He's just a chill dude.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
And that garbage dog...he definitely lives up the "Peter Pan Breed" label to the fullest lol. Like finding a super creepy doll while walking and gleefully bringing it home. That picture still gives me nightmares lol.
It haunts everyone.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Bernard hit 10 months and it was magic. Bad dog that never stopped running and chewed everything was suddenly Mister Chill and collected. I still am baffled by that. It was almost overnight.

Mia... is three and in many ways still not mature, though she's ages better than she was. Beau and Summer are 8 and still kind of wild and needy at times. Beau did hit a maturity stage around 4 when he decided it was ok to lie down and relax sometimes. Summer at 8 is exactly the same as Summer at 4 when I got her.

Loki matured very quickly. She was always a cool cat. Terra... we wait. She's got a brain, but sometimes it's lost in the forest of WheeVille.

mrose_s

BusterLove
We were discussing maturity today actually. And that Quinn matured very slowly, that being that she had another major personality shift at two years old, most other dogs I've met are still growing into themselves at that age but at two, Quinn only just started showing any real affection toward us. Now she's super loving but I'm still surprised by it because it was so unlike her for so, so long. Physically, she matured quiet quickly imo.
Mac matured quickly, she looked adult by about 7 months and has always been quiet ladylike.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I thought I remember RD and Sizzle saying that Mexidogs seem to mature mentally very quickly. But, that's more of a type than a breed I believe.
Very true in Cricket's case. She matured physically and mentally very fast. She is around 2 now and very mentally chill and super intelligent. I don't really remember too much of a typical puppy stage with her since puppyhood seemed so short lived.

I got Bamm at close to 2 years old. He definitely seemed to mature slowly. When focused on training/games etc he'd focus well but then resort back to young crazy dog. He chewed stuff all the time... I remember when he chewed a favorite dress right before a friend's wedding that I was going to wear it too. :(

Joey.... Omg he is a total nutter butter and not mature at all. I know Ibizan males tend to mature slow from what I've heard and am experiencing. He gets into everything, chews stuff and basically has horrible selective hearing. Not sure at what age he will probably start to mature more and calm down the crazy some. A couple Ibizan people have been giving me the 3-5 range so it probably just varies from dog to dog.

Catsi

I think Abby (Chi x) hit 15 months - ish and just matured. She has always been just a little bit serious in her personality. She still loves playing, but she is so steady and serious the rest of the time. And there is a pretty clear line between playing and the rest of her approach to life lol.

Gracie (stafford) is 11 years old and to be honest the line is not clear at all. Her whole life is a game. I still can't cut her nails in one go without fits of laughter and a whole lot of effort (my fault, never bothered to train it) - she doesn't sit still and thinks it's a game. Not very mature and doesn't look like she's going to bother with it now. Not a day goes by where she doesn't do something dorky.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I find Border Collies have a very serious side to them young but I don't think they all mentally mature fast. Just that they can switch on and take play/work very serious at a young age. No stamina with it though. Their brain melts to mush again pretty quick.
I found the same to be true. They become serious from a young age, however I don't feel Blaze really 'came into himself' till maybe 2 or 3. I mean had a steady temperament, good stamina, engaged, thinking, etc.

Red Chrome

Do APBTs ever grow up? LOL.

I am one of those that believe the APBT is "slow to mature" physically, especially considering its size as a medium-sized breed, but mentally.....I'm not sure they ever grow up. o_O
So true!!!

LoLa has a brain but she is FAR FAR from mature. She gets lost in LoLaLand where the...oh shiny!!!!

Do APBTs ever grow up? LOL.

I am one of those that believe the APBT is "slow to mature" physically, especially considering its size as a medium-sized breed, but mentally.....I'm not sure they ever grow up. o_O
Poor Tallulah is VERY grown up most of the time.

But that may have been from necessity, or example, caught between Kharma and Bimmer. :eek:

I've been impressed with how bright she really is, and how responsible she's become. You'd love her, Staci :)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Boxers are slow to mature. If they ever mature.

Lucy was never really a puppy lol she's always been a serious, no nonsense kind of dog. I think that's just her though, not necessarily breed traits.

Aleron

:rofl1:

I wonder if a lot of the early maturity doesn't come with the more primitive breeds that have HAD to, to survive. We haven't bred that out of them . . . yet. :(
That could be. I actually had a hard time thinking of Savvy as being as young as he was this past spring. Like "oh he's not even a year old". He's a wild, high flying dog but was not terribly puppyish for very long. Him at 6 months and Roust at 6 months are very, very different in terms of maturity. Savvy still has shown signs of really growing up the past few months in terms of sport training. PyrSheps are still a pretty primitive, rustic breed. There was definitely a survival of the fittest sort of thing that went on with them throughout time. I hope their PyrShep-ness is never bred out of them.

Amazingly, because he is also a huge clown, Squash is surprisingly mature as well. He will be 2 in November and I would say this summer is when I really noticed his grown-up brain settling in.

Maisy is... well, Maisy's Maisy. I think she's a bit socially stunted, to be honest I don't know if I'll ever really call her "mature" even though she's getting grey hairs on her chin. :p

BostonBanker

I'm pretty sure Pip was born wearing waist-high plaid pants and writing letters of complaint to the government.
I suspect Meg has been standing on the front porch in a house coat since the age of 8 weeks, yelling about the crazy kids in the neighborhood ruining her flower bed.

Gusto will be an 11 year old boy forever I suspect. Or a 21 year old boy. He is the very picture of "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Members online

No members online now.