Lure coursing!

Saeleofu

This weekend I took the dogs lure coursing (AKC CAT). It was a blast! Sadly between the crappy weather and being there by myself I didn't get any pictures of them running :(

Logan was turned on the minute we got to the field on Friday and was barking, screaming and lunging the entire time we were waiting. I've honestly NEVER seen him like that before, it was really cool seeing him so "on"! He was a complete ass and had no manners at all and not enough focus on me to listen to *any* commands, but we both had a ton of fun. Friday Logan ran twice for two qualifying legs. He was the only collie, but not the only herding dog. There were several corgis, a couple BCs, and an aussie or two. There was also a vizsla, two doxies (ADORABLE to watch course, by the way), some JRTs, a lab and a few goldens, plus a crap ton of sight hounds of course.

Today I took both dogs. Logan ran again and got his title no problem. He even impressed some of the sighthound people with his cornering ability in the wet weather (and this icky sloppy muddy field). Gavroche ran for the first time, too. It took him a bit to get turned on, but after watching 2 or 3 dogs go before him, he also turned into a barking, screaming, lunging idiot. And it, too, was very cool to see. I've seen Gavroche turned on like this before because he has prey drive from hell, but he's also been scared of plastic bags in the past. Plastic bags are not scary when he's chasing after them at 30ish mph lol.

I will DEFINITELY keep doing this. Both dogs love it, I love, and it's fun to watch all the other dogs do it, too.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
SO jealous! I want to go to a CAT so badly.... sounds like you had a great time!

crazedACD

Ohh, really cool! I've looked and looked for all breed lure coursing here but unless I want to drive for hours, no such luck :(. You'll definitely have to get photos sometime!

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
We love it here too. We have an all breed lure coursing club here in WI.

Watson's brains fall out when it is time to course too.

Saeleofu

It's SOOOO much fun! I'm lucky there are any here at all, but it's just once a year. At least it's only a 20 minute drive! I am considering driving to Tulsa next time they have it, though, especially if they have two runs in one day. I didn't take Gavroche for all 3 runs this weekend because I wasn't sure he'd chase it, but now I'm itching to get his title lol.

ETA: Speaking of Watson, there was one Basenji there, too! Sadly I missed seeing him run.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
It's SOOOO much fun! I'm lucky there are any here at all, but it's just once a year. At least it's only a 20 minute drive! I am considering driving to Tulsa next time they have it, though, especially if they have two runs in one day. I didn't take Gavroche for all 3 runs this weekend because I wasn't sure he'd chase it, but now I'm itching to get his title lol.

ETA: Speaking of Watson, there was one Basenji there, too! Sadly I missed seeing him run.
We also have lots of Basenjis around here after all we have the Basenji Club of Southeastern Wisconsin right here. So once a year they also have a coursing match we can go to. There are also a couple of sight hound clubs that hold a meet I believe.

I love seeing dogs run...they just have so much fun doing it!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
That's sounds like so much fun! I am so jealous, I'd love to get Art into lure coursing, I think he would have a blast!

elegy

overdogged
Had they done any coursing before you signed them up for the CAT? They're having two tests here on June 2, and Steve has never done anything like that before. I don't know if I should sign him up for one or both. $40 is a lot to find out he won't do it.

He loves his flirt pole, which makes me think he'd be all over lure coursing, but who knows.

Congrats to you guys. Sounds like SO MUCH FUN!

Saeleofu

Neither of them has done lure coursing before this. That's the exact same reason I only entered Gavroche once. Judging by what I know of Steve, though, I think he'd love it. Do they take day of test entries? I entered Logan twice on Friday, and then entered him on Saturday to get his title after I knew he'd run.

SarahHound

I would love to do this, I'm convinced Lucy would find it amazing. But I would prefer to get the chase out of her rather than encourage it, what with my house being full of small animals.

elegy

overdogged
Neither of them has done lure coursing before this. That's the exact same reason I only entered Gavroche once. Judging by what I know of Steve, though, I think he'd love it. Do they take day of test entries? I entered Logan twice on Friday, and then entered him on Saturday to get his title after I knew he'd run.
They don't. It's by Pre-entry only. I'm *pretty* sure he'll run. I don't know when they'll have another test here, so I feel like I should go ahead and enter him twice (under two judges even, bless them) to get two legs while I can.

momto8

Did you go to the witchita event? We were planning on going to that one, but family planned to come to town..so we are doing our 1st in 2 weeks :)

Sounds like you guys had a blast!

Saeleofu

Did you go to the witchita event? We were planning on going to that one, but family planned to come to town..so we are doing our 1st in 2 weeks :)

Sounds like you guys had a blast!
Yup, that's where we went!

Snark

Mutts to you
That's great!

I've signed Riley up for a couple of fun runs in 2 weeks. The St. Louis area sighthound club works with the local mixed breed club to offer mixed breed junior coursing titles - they have a couple of tests a year (spring/fall). Riley earned his Mixed Breed JC title last fall, so we're just going again because he loves it so much.

I wish they offered a CAT, too, but at least we still get to play. :)

Members online

No members online now.