Wormers

Has anyone ever used Safeguard wormer for their dogs? What are your feelings on it. Does one need a prescription? I currently use Heartguard and have recently found it only treats 2 worms where as the Safeguard treats whipworm, hookworm, ascarids, and tape worms.

bubbatd

My vet recommends Interceptor ....takes care off everything once a month.

Debi

I like Interceptor, too. I actually did a search on the net...and my vet's office is the best price...now, that's a surprise!!!

Saje

Island dweller
Interesting. Do most people here get there vet to do the deworming or do you by the over-the-counter stuff? Just curious. Someone told me that the over-the-counter stuff isn't as good. Not sure about that. We always dewormed our own horses. Don't know why we couldn't do that with out dogs.

Debi

I think maybe some over the counter dewormers are good...I just like the ease of Interceptor.....the package claims to contain the common worms, plus heart worm..so that's why I like it. It can be purchased online, etc.....but because it is for heartworm, you wouldn't want to just start it without first testing. For months I used an over the counter dewormer for Addie.....prior to heartworm testing, and she never had worms. That kind of tells me it worked. I had even been using an 'off' brand....Earliworm....or something like that..don't know the manufacturer name offhand...been so long ago. The vet I went to then wouldn't even look at your pet prior to a worm test......so I'd say the OTC ones worked!

bubbatd

I've just never liked to take chances. We haven't had worms since my first bought puppies....My females were always checked prior to mating and my pups never had worms. All were on puppy heart (etc.) prevention before they went to their forever homes. I just wish all breeders cared for their pups more than their pocketbooks. When it's done correctly you don't make much money !!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
You have to be very careful about over the counter wormers..and there should not be an over the counter for tapes..the vet should monitor a tape worm procedure incase the dog is totally infested..you don't want impaction. A lot of wormers are like hitting a fly with a baseball bat. The heartworm pill takes care of most hosts. I really suggest that the wormers come from the vet. You wouldn't believe the worm treatments I cleaned out of the barn at the kennels one year. I found a bottle from 1935. That is pretty bad.....Most puppies whose mom was not on heartworm treatments are born with rounds. I have seen a weekold puppy vomit roundworms that looked like they couldn't possibly fit in it's stomach..just be careful.

Members online

No members online now.