The Venting Thread

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Well ... My cough has turned into what I think is a fever (because I feel very "chilly") & body aches :( & I also think I am trying to get a cold sore, but I am putting meds on it to try to stop it before it surfaces :(

I hate winter.

ACooper

Oh dogdragoness......I hope you aren't getting the flu! According to our news (Indiana) the flu is ESPECIALLY nasty this year and several people have already died!

We expect to see it claim a few elderly people each year, but so far among the count, it's claimed a 13 year old boy and a 17 year old boy (according to the news) in our region! So please take good care of yourself until you are well :)

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Payton has spent all morning wandering around whining because he wants to get to Pepper, starting at 6AM. I don't wake up that bloody early normally but with the effing puppy whining non-stop guess who was up? And it has just Not. Stopped.
SO ANNOYING GOING TO THROTTLE HIM

If I thought anybody else could handle him I'd pack him up and ship him away for a few days.

WHEN WILL YOUR HEAT BE OVER PEPPER. SERIOUSLY. IT FEELS LIKE FOREVER.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Payton has spent all morning wandering around whining because he wants to get to Pepper, starting at 6AM. I don't wake up that bloody early normally but with the effing puppy whining non-stop guess who was up? And it has just Not. Stopped.

If I thought anybody else could handle him I'd pack him up and ship him away for a few days.

Thus the reason I will never be a dog breeder. Or own an intact female dog with an intact male. Ever. I would go BONKERS.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I knew a breeder that would tell her males to stop, if they didn't she out them out for a time out.

Now I am not a breeder, so I don't know if this is the right thing to do or not ... I only had the one intact dog ... Ever (also a show dog) & all the other females were spayed.

SpringerLover

Why do you have to keep Pepper intact?

Red.Apricot

I am sick.

I have to teach two labs today.

I also have a meeting with the professor to just 'go over a few things' so I'm terrified she'll be like NO YOU WERE WRONG THE WHOLE TIME.

Also I am sick.

blrfg

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Poor Pay and poor you!

This is why I already have someone to take puppy off my hands during her heats :p

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Are they show dogs? If the female is do owned but the male isn't ... Then why not neuter the male? Unless he is being exhibited / shown, or has a medical issue that makes surgery risky, I have known a few dogs with anesthesia sensitivities who were left intact because the risk of the surgery is too great.

Unless it is for one of those reasons then IMHO all dogs should be fixed.

If she is co-owned then the co-owner would be ponying up by taking her when she is in heat.

Yes I am surprised, since you mentioned he was driving you batty & complained about it, I made a suggestion that I thought might be helpful. If he is bothering you crate him in another room where you can't hear him? Your irritation with him will not help the Anxiety he is feeling.

Saeleofu

Are they show dogs? If the female is do owned but the male isn't ... Then why not neuter the male? Unless he is being exhibited / shown, or has a medical issue that makes surgery risky, I have known a few dogs with anesthesia sensitivities who were left intact because the risk of the surgery is too great.

Unless it is for one of those reasons then IMHO all dogs should be fixed.
I will never neuter a male dog unless it's medically necessary. Logan's intact because he's still showing, but even when he's done he'll remain intact until I have a legitimate reason to neuter him.

I'm of the opinion that remaining intact is better for a dog's health. In my entire family's history of owning dogs (5 people, and my dad has had dogs for over 50 years), Gavroche is the only one that has been neutered. He's also the only one with hypothyroidism, recurrent and resistant UTIs, and prostate disease. No thank you.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
All those things are myths, I on the other hand have seen dogs (used to work in a vet clinic & for a shelter) did if diseases that could have prevented by sputering.

When bear was done showing I neutered him & he is 13 & going strong :), I think he will outlive all of us.

The only thing I would let a female go they a heat for is if she has a recessed vulva or something like that.

I will never be convinced that, other then Showing or medical reasons, sorry but the dog should be fixed.

Sputering has proven to prevent reproductive cancers when preformed early enough (IMHO before the 2nd year).

Your childhood dogs might have been lucky.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
First of all, Payton IS co-owned as well. And yes, both are show dogs. Both are being kept intact with the possibility of being bred in the future.
Furthermore I agree with Sael that I don't really care to alter a dog unless it is medically necessary. I would prefer to alter the girlies because studies have not shown as big of a benefit to remaining intact in females as in males, so the convenience aspect of it makes it more appealing to just go ahead and spay. However, as I said, I can't make that decision for Pepper. If I could, I would. Realistically I think she is unlikely to be bred at this point and it would just make it far easier, BUT. Not my decision.

It's really not that big of a deal, some people have it far worse. So Payton wants to mate with his half-sister and is going to pester her for a month or so. So I have to crate & rotate for a month or so. It's not like my dogs want to kill each other and have to be on crate & rotate forever. I am quite lucky.

ETA: It is not a myth, it's a scientific study.
http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf
However I have no doubt it will be impossible to convince you otherwise.

Saeleofu

When bear was done showing I neutered him & he is 13 & going strong
And? Max was 13 1/2 when he died, and he was intact - he just had bad hips coming from a BYB. AJ (intact) is 13 and has no signs of illness - a short bout of vestibular disease but that's passed. Living to age 13 is not really proof neutering is healthy.

The only thing a dog cannot get after being neutered is testicular cancer. For a female after being spayed, it's uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, and pyo. However, speutering does increase the chances of osteosarcoma. IF my dog developed testicular cancer, then he'll be neutered. Done. If my dog developed osteosarcoma, he'd possibly have the leg amputated and then not have much chance for survival afterwards of more than a few moths.

Regardless, Beanie can make her own decisions about her own dogs (well, except for the co-owned ones ;) ). She does not need to be berated for not speutering in a freaking VENTING thread.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
See this is a venting thread, I am not berating her about anything. I merely stated that I did not agree with leaving a dog intact if there is not a medical issue in the way of getting it done. So, in a way I was also venting.

She complained about her dog pestering her with his whining & carrying on, I was just throwing suggestions out there.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
If she is co-owned then the co-owner would be ponying up by taking her when she is in heat.

Yes I am surprised, since you mentioned he was driving you batty & complained about it, I made a suggestion that I thought might be helpful. If he is bothering you crate him in another room where you can't hear him? Your irritation with him will not help the Anxiety he is feeling.
First, you don't know anything about Pepper or her history with me. Yes, I can certainly send her back to her co-owner, but given our history I will be damned if I let her out of my sight ever again. She is MY girl, she is in MY house, and she is staying with ME.

Second, since by your own admission you have never had two intact dogs of the opposite sex at the same time, you have no bloody idea what it's like to deal with it, and to suggest telling him to "stop" like I am some kind of idiot who never thought of that is highly insulting and/or speaks of your own level of intelligence. Same goes for the ridiculous suggestion of "crate him in another room." Do you really think I'm so stupid that I didn't consider that? That perhaps there's a reason I didn't go that route? There are several, by the way.

Luckily I am well aware of your character, therefore know which option to interpret your suggestions fall under.

Taqroy

Second, since by your own admission you have never had two intact dogs of the opposite sex at the same time, you have no bloody idea what it's like to deal with it, and to suggest telling him to "stop" like I am some kind of idiot who never thought of that is highly insulting and/or speaks of your own level of intelligence. Same goes for the ridiculous suggestion of "crate him in another room." Do you really think I'm so stupid that I didn't consider that? That perhaps there's a reason I didn't go that route? There are several, by the way.
When I tell my dogs to stop doing something they ALWAYS do. Unless they don't want to. Or they're busy. Or they can't hear me over the sound of their own growling/barking/whining. I don't know why Payton doesn't stop when you tell him to.

:p

JessLough

Love My Mutt
All those things are myths, I on the other hand have seen dogs (used to work in a vet clinic & for a shelter) did if diseases that could have prevented by sputering.

When bear was done showing I neutered him & he is 13 & going strong :), I think he will outlive all of us.

The only thing I would let a female go they a heat for is if she has a recessed vulva or something like that.

I will never be convinced that, other then Showing or medical reasons, sorry but the dog should be fixed.

Sputering has proven to prevent reproductive cancers when preformed early enough (IMHO before the 2nd year).

Your childhood dogs might have been lucky.
Rosey is 16 and going strong, and is intact :)

Yes, speutering reduces some risks, but it also heightens either. To pretend there's no downsides is just dangerous.

Airn

I'm for spaying and neutering. Because I have no knowledge of dog breeding. I've never had an intact dog. If I had a male and female, I would have puppies in no time.
But Beanie is a responsible dog owner. And her choice is her choice. Or the co-owner of the dog's.
Either way, this isn't some random dog owner going "My dog keeps humping the other. Is that bad?"
She's just VENTING. In the Venting thread.

My vent today. Omg holy headache from hell. I've had this thing on and off for three days now. It is getting so bad that I'm going to take meds. And I have to go the college again to figure this all out.

Members online

No members online now.