Fur colour changes with maturity

Delisay

It seems that many dogs, esp those with Bichon-type ancestry, can be born with one colour pattern, grow into another, and end up yet another (usually much lighter) ... then change their minds and go back to a previous colour. e.g. I've been looking at pictures of Lowchens which bear no resemblance to the colours they were born with - patches of very dark colour have completely gone (or moved!) - and yet others of this breed still have distinct colour patches as adults.

What the bleepers is going on? :popcorn:
Is there a method in this madness?...a way to predict which puppies will change (and into what), and which won't?

Thanks,
Del.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'm going to have to do some serious digging to find this page again, but awhile back I found a page that detailed either an Aussie or a BC that was born blue merle, and then shed out it's puppy coat, grew back a very light adult coat and was completely white by the time it was 3, yet retained all vision/hearing.

bubbatd

Not sure of other breeds, but Goldens will usually turn out the color of the tips of their ears. Some go through a funny mask stage .

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
You know im not sure. But its funny you mention this. I was just reading about masks on Siberian Huskies and how they change over time. Check out the examples. Some pattern changes are pretty extreme.
http://www.huskycolors.com/mask.html
Sibes were what 1st came to mind when I heard that also. A friend on another Forum I attend, has a dog named Jake (A Sibe/GSD mix) and he's completely LOST alot of his markings from when he was a pup!!! Here are some pictures:
Jake Now:

Jake as a Pup:

All that red on his nose/face has completely disapeared!!!!

Delisay

Zoom, thanks for finding that link! Those Aussies are absolutely gorgeous - luuurv those Aussie colours! Every dog is unique. It's worthwhile poking arond the other links there too - the eyes, split faces, merles.

Oh darn, now I want one :mad:! :)

Del.

Chrissy&B

I find that to be very true!! Billy is a perfect example..... just look at his colour. He used to be really dark and if I comapre his puppy pics it looks like a completely different dog!

Billy 4 weeks:

Billy now:

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Wow, check out the 'stasche on Baby Billy! :D

He totally changed colors! I wonder if RD's Ripley did something similar?

Delisay: That's part of the reason I love Aussies so much; all the variety!

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
border teriers are born black and only the black and tans keep that black colouration

the red grizzles take a extremely dramatic colour change

Toller_08

This isn't really breed related considering Tango's a mix, but when she was a young pup she had a black saddle on her back and her face was completely black, as were her ears. She got more tan as she grew and by the age of about 5 months, she almost completely lost her black and now she just has some on her muzzle, ear tips and a tiny bit throughout her coat.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
This happened with my dogs. Nikki and Trey started out the same color, Nikki stayed, Trey changed to almost black! Nikki started out with a decent sized blaze, but it is now tiny.

And Beau, check this out-

Blackish with huge blaze- also, note the distinct spots on his back- there were three

Big blaze and dark brown

Now- red with one long spot on his back, and a small crooked blaze. Also, magic ticking appeared on his muzzle and legs

And so far, Harry's gotten a lot lighter, but hasn't lost any of his blaze (though it's started out small). He did gain ticking as well. Hasn't turned red though. But Trey turned darker, the others lighter, and Nikki stayed the same.

You never know what color they'll turn out! lol

Members online

No members online now.