pedigree food

josephine

I'd like to ask for your opinion...From the moment i adopted prita i've been feeding her almost all the products of pedigree she loves the schmachos treats and the chucky(or whatever it's called over there(pal?)) She loves the canned rice with chicken and also the dental rask .
Do you know if the food they provide is good or not?
Anyone has tried this food with your pet?

ps: sorry for naming out a brand...i just want some help to find what's best for my dog

thanks in advance for any insight on this!

joce

It's the only brand all my dogs can eat! I know i've heard its not the best but they like it and are healthy on it. I know it doesn't have some of the bad things in it(they did a thing on the news a while back about the leftover drugs in the food slowly killing dogs when it builds up in there system-edit*which I just noticed is stickied at the top!). They all love the dentabones too. The food the vet always trys to get us to use gives the dobe runs:( That was not fun to deal with. I know there are some websites that list how good the foods are but most of the good ones are things i've never even seen in the store!

You really should read the article at the link TiggersDad supplied: http://www.api4animals.org/79.htm

No way would I ever feed my animals Pedigree. I'd rather feed them out of the garbage can than take a chance with Pedigree, Purina, Iams, Eukanuba, Science DIEt, ad nauseum. It would be safer and more nutritious in the long run.

josephine

Renee750il said:
You really should read the article at the link TiggersDad supplied: http://www.api4animals.org/79.htm

No way would I ever feed my animals Pedigree. I'd rather feed them out of the garbage can than take a chance with Pedigree, Purina, Iams, Eukanuba, Science DIEt, ad nauseum. It would be safer and more nutritious in the long run.
yikes :eek: ...that made me almost puke!
thanks for the article!gee and i thought pedigree was an innocent one .

EliNHunter

Serena said:
Pedigree? Your dog would be better off eating donuts and hot dogs..Pedigree is PURE junk.
Serena, do you have anything proactive to add? I am somewhat new to the forum but find your posts to be very opinionated and pointed. If you have such a problem with Pedigree, perhaps you could give reason why? I would love to hear it since I give one of my dogs Pedigree and he's eaten that for 12 years.

EliNHunter, being new, you've probably missed the numerous and lengthy discussions posted here on dog food and nutrition - or lack thereof.

The reason our answers on this subject tend to be rather terse and to the point is that the information is already here to be read - several times over.

Check the link above that TiggersDad originally posted in another of these threads. You'll find it most enlightening - and disgusting. Another reference I give is www.greatdanelady.com . Linda Arndt has amassed years of superb information that she shares with dog owners.

Some dogs do survive on tripe like Pedigree, Iams, Science DIEt, Puriina products (and numerous others) for many years; it's more a testament to the canine abililty to survive than anything else.

Just compare it to a lifetime of consuming Twinkies and sodas vs. a balanced diet of foods untreated by chemicals, hormones and carcinogens. You might live a long time on that kind of diet, but your quality of life will suffer and you're at a very increased risk for all sorts of chronic health issues.

Charley initially thought I was nuts, insisting on feeding our dogs the Innova feed instead of the $15.00 a bag Purina from the grocery store. Now he looks at them and points out how healthy they are, how good they look, the energy they have, how HIS (??) dogs are so far superior to other dogs - and tells people they really should look into this food! :rolleyes:

josephine

I stopped feeding pedigree for the last few days i just cook for her...but really this is not going to work when school starts,i won't have the time to cook for her.So the last few days i went to almost all the pet shops and supermarkets that exist close to my house and far from my house...i spent hours to look for a good brand of dog food...and guess with what i came up?nothing...just pedigree, friskies and purina. :(
I really don't know what to do...Maybe it will be better to feed her what i make for myself.
I asked the vet if i can feed my dog,the stuff i eat and said no if i don't want her to smell bad since most of the time she's in the house(also her poo will be too smelly).Also that some stuff that i eat can poison her example : onions,garlic etc

She told me also that the dog takes everything it needs from the dry food...so i could feed her only that...I find it cruel though to feed her only that...

Still trying to find a result on this...I live in Greece where there are just limited dog food...i couldn't find the innova thing i've read about or Wellness etc...

:(

Last edited:

EliNHunter

Serena said:
I sincerely hope you take the time to further educate yourself on pet nutrition. There is a TON of information available.

There is NO excuse for pet owners to lack nutritional knowledge today...Period.
Ok, so once again I get your harsh criticism. But I'll bite. Just where do I find the wealth of info to keep my dogs the healthiest they can be? I have a Lab on Science Diet and he is VERY healthy with a GREAT coat. Then I have a golden who's been on Pedigree his entire life and am afraid to switch diets on him. I grew up with dogs living on nothing but Purina dog chow and they all lived to be 15 or so. What am I supposed to do? Feed them live rabbits and chickens??

EliNHunter

Serena said:
Feeding live rabbits and chickens? Why do you ask about that. Is researching proper nutrition such a difficult and tedious step for you that you would rather set your dogs loose to hunt their own food rather than taking responsibility for their health and learning on the subject. Shame on you.
Ummm... I think that was a joke. Sorry you didn't get it, Serena. Like I would set my dogs free to fend for themselves. I guess I don't see what the big deal is when my dogs (probably 20 over my lifetime so far) have lived long, healthy lives on store-bought kibble. Yes, I've done my research, thank you very much, and I see as much bad press as good press. If you have some brand new research that has just come to light about what we should feed our dogs and why, I'd love to see it...

EliNHunter

Serena said:
You've done your research? BULL CRAP

If you have done your research you would not be feeding your dogs that junk.

Take your own time and educate yourself I will NOT waste MY time helping YOU. I have nothing to prove to YOU. The information is readily available. It is NOT new information.

It is information that has alway been there. The canine digestive system did NOT undergo a sudden change.

Evolution does NOT work that way. Remember when I told you to study canine physiology? Do that.

I'm not impressed with you having had twenty dogs over your lifetime.

All that tells me is that after twenty dogs you still have not taken it upon yourself to be fully responsible for their well being.
Well, guess what... you won't have to worry about it since I won't be posting here any longer. Ever since my first post about my lab pottying in the bathtub when he was SO SMART being right out of the shelter and having potty problems and he went in the bathtub (instead of all over my carpeted house), and you saying he was BAD and I was BAD for having such a dog. Well, you turned me off at my very first post. And this is my last. You need to get a better attitude. I just wonder how many people you've fended off from Chazhound... what's your problem, anyway? Why such a chip on your shoulder? The whole "I'm not impressed with you having had twenty dogs over your lifetime"... who the hell you think you are? I feel sorry for you... but more importantly, I feel VERY sorry for any 4-leggers you have under your care. See you... MUCH later. As in NEVER.

candy722

I know there's a few dog food that aren't great that people do feed their dogs that but they do really live up pretty long. I didn't know before that is why i used to feed my previous dog Pedigree but I stopped. Now I feed my TOki Nutro. Just like hot dogs aren't really good for us but we still eat it.
I really think it also depends on the dogs diet. Just like some of us can eat anything but some people will get allergic or get sick.

josephine

Both of you,chill out sheesh!
Serena,people don't research for various of reasons.We don't even search on what we are eatting.
I've had dogs for my whole life,none of them got any illnesses.Now you might ask why i posted this asking about pedigree...Because for the first time in my whole life i've searched in the net about dogs,about training then how much food should i give to little dogs since i've never had a small dog.
You might think that i'm just an ignorant...I'm not the only one( and that goes for what i eat too,as a lot of people eat what it's being advertised,am i wrong?I don't think so.
So when i take my pet to the vet,i think that she/he will know what's good for my pet or not...If this isn't true then why taking the pet to the vet in the first place for vaccinations,diets etc?
Why you are accusing someone as a lousy pet owner?Just because you consider yourself a GREAT pet owner?You are not in the position to say that someone is a lousy pet owner,when you don't know anything about that person and how he treats his/her pets.Some people spend a lot of money everyday to try and give lots of stuff to their pets just to see their pets happier...I'm one of them(college student without work).I don't get that many stuff for myself.

Anyway,I thought that the forum is here for everyone to learn things and to share what people know.
But i guess you are here to show what a GREAT owner you are...at least that's what i see in your posts.It's not a competition of who's the good owner or not...am i wrong?If so tell me and i'll find another place.

Peace...

to moderators...I didn't post this to end up in a flamewar...If it's possible to just lock it please do.

There are now 2800 registered members on Chazhound. We will NEVER all agree on everything. Let's discuss the issue at hand and not attack each other. That does no good at all and takes away from the discussion. Anytime you post on a public forum, there is a chance you may not like the response. Let's work together to help each other for the good of dogkind.

Dog Food is a multi-billion dollar industry and there will no doubt be profit before goodwill with some companies. On the other hand, self prepared foods can be bad too if done by one who doesn't understand the needs of a dog for proper nurition.

It is big enough and controversal enough to deserve it's own forum for discussion. I will be adding one soon.

Thanks much for your advance cooperation :)
Chazhound

P.S.- I reopened the thread for responses...

Saje

Island dweller
EliNHunter, you don't have to leave. Not everyone is going to be critical of you and you could choose to ignore the offensive posts.

You're sure right to say that there is just as must research on both ends of the argument. That goes for every issue in the world I think. All we can do, is read the most we can about something, from a variety of sources, and come to our own conclusions. I'm not speaking just about food issues.

I hope that you still post occassionally. Maybe not on this thread. :)

Good going, Chaz.

What's not often realized (as I've had to explain to Charley a few times) is that dog food just "ain't necessarily what it used to be." Today, the cheapest ingredients are the ones with the most additives. Years ago that wasn't so; the more expensive food processing had more "modern" improvements and were considered preferrentially over unadulterated foods. Another thing that has changed is farming. The old farmer didn't pump his animals full of hormones, antibiotics and chemicals and neither did the feedlots, so the by-products used in pet foods were not adulterated with all of the poisons now found in concentration. We can thank "modern" corporate farming for that "improvment(?)."

Do some dogs live long and seemingly healthy lives on these awful products? Sure. Some people smoke cigarettes and live into their nineties in relative health. Does that mean cigarettes aren't horrible poison? Of course not. It's just the luck of the draw, if you will. And the same goes for dog food, or anything else for that matter.

We just try to do our best for our companions. You don't want to look back one day and have to think about how you really could have done something to avert a chronic illness or an early death. Some situations can't be changed, but some can. I daresay most of us have seen the prayer, "grant me the strength to change that which I can, accept that which I cannot, and the grace to know the difference."

Last edited:

josephine

First Josephine YOU are doing great by researching into what to feed that is what responsible pet owners do.

Thank you!I search because i can.

People rely on their vet's guidance for nutrition because they think vets are educated in this field, but 9/10 vets do NOT know nutrition. It is not an important part of their training. Vets are provided with a two week nutritional course on nutrition.

The majority of vets do not expand their knowledge on this subject.

That is a FACT.

You see where i live this is not true.
And you are saying that this is a fact?well it's not.
This is not a fully US forum right?or is it?

I'm saying this person is a lousy pet owner because they don't want to learn how to make better informed decisions for their pets. They are so stuck in the mind frame that since their dogs did well on crap food for years then crap food is alright to feed.

You see this is quite similar to what we eat...people can eat donuts and other things that some people can end up dying after a while...am i wrong?
Someone can eat a huge bowl of strawberries and after a while feeling ok,another person might eat that and end up in hospital.
This can happen to all the pets as well.Also mixed-breeds are not so sensitive as pure breed dogs.

Being a good pet owner is not about spending tons of money on fun stuff for your pets, all the luxuries in the world does NOT make a good pet owner. Luxuries given to our pets for their enjoyment is done because it makes our pets happy but thats not what being a good pet owner is all about.

Being a good pet owner is about responsibility...it's about taking responsibility for the animal you get every single day, in every single aspect.

Not really, to have a pet(companion) it surely needs a lot of money,time and love

So you are saying that those people that don't know about the nutricients,don't even know how to read or they just don't have the internet to search things that they are not good owners?

I'm on this forum for the animals and animals only. Not to show everyone how "great" of a pet owner I'am. First I would never call myself a "great" pet owner. I'am NOT modest in regards to how my animals are cared for and the time I have taken to go beyond being a "great" pet owner". I'am VERY proud of this.

I'am not a "softie" I will not sugar coat anything I say. I'am NOT a nice person when it comes to people. A harsh tone from someone will result in a harsher one for me and I'm much MORE adept at it than anyone could imagine.

Nobody here has seen me really tell someone off.

It's not about being a bad or a good person,it's about if you have respect for others or not.
Solve what problems you have with people and not getting so harse with people that just ask for advise.

I'm direct, to the point, and I take the responsibility of having a pet VERY seriously. I will not applaud anyone given less than 110% commitment to their pets and being the best owner possible.

If someone shows me they are making poor decisions in regards to their animals and they refuse to learn I will call them out on it. I will tell them what they are doing wrong.

I do NOT care about my popularity. I do NOT care about being liked nor do I care if everyone calls me every single name in the book.

I'm here because I like animals NOT because I'm a people person.

Now you requested this thread locked.

Consider it done.

I respect others for their opinions.I listen to them,search about what they say and if i think that what they say is right,then i go on.

Behind a screen and without knowing what a person does for his/her pet sure i can also call someone a lousy pet owner that doesn't care for the pet he/she has.

EliNHunter

Saje said:
EliNHunter, you don't have to leave. Not everyone is going to be critical of you and you could choose to ignore the offensive posts.

You're sure right to say that there is just as must research on both ends of the argument. That goes for every issue in the world I think. All we can do, is read the most we can about something, from a variety of sources, and come to our own conclusions. I'm not speaking just about food issues.

I hope that you still post occassionally. Maybe not on this thread. :)
Hi, Saje. Thanks for you kind words. I've still been lurking but afraid to post. Perhaps there's an "ignore button" I should try and find? You're right... I won't be posting -- on this thread ;) . I'll post on another because I sure do have some issues going on with my babies right now. More later... and thanks again.

EliNHunter

josephine said:
First Josephine YOU are doing great by researching into what to feed that is what responsible pet owners do.

Thank you!I search because i can.

People rely on their vet's guidance for nutrition because they think vets are educated in this field, but 9/10 vets do NOT know nutrition. It is not an important part of their training. Vets are provided with a two week nutritional course on nutrition.

The majority of vets do not expand their knowledge on this subject.

That is a FACT.

All I can say is, Amen :cool:

Amen :cool:

You see where i live this is not true.
And you are saying that this is a fact?well it's not.
This is not a fully US forum right?or is it?

I'm saying this person is a lousy pet owner because they don't want to learn how to make better informed decisions for their pets. They are so stuck in the mind frame that since their dogs did well on crap food for years then crap food is alright to feed.

You see this is quite similar to what we eat...people can eat donuts and other things that some people can end up dying after a while...am i wrong?
Someone can eat a huge bowl of strawberries and after a while feeling ok,another person might eat that and end up in hospital.
This can happen to all the pets as well.Also mixed-breeds are not so sensitive as pure breed dogs.

Being a good pet owner is not about spending tons of money on fun stuff for your pets, all the luxuries in the world does NOT make a good pet owner. Luxuries given to our pets for their enjoyment is done because it makes our pets happy but thats not what being a good pet owner is all about.

Being a good pet owner is about responsibility...it's about taking responsibility for the animal you get every single day, in every single aspect.

Not really, to have a pet(companion) it surely needs a lot of money,time and love

So you are saying that those people that don't know about the nutricients,don't even know how to read or they just don't have the internet to search things that they are not good owners?

I'm on this forum for the animals and animals only. Not to show everyone how "great" of a pet owner I'am. First I would never call myself a "great" pet owner. I'am NOT modest in regards to how my animals are cared for and the time I have taken to go beyond being a "great" pet owner". I'am VERY proud of this.

I'am not a "softie" I will not sugar coat anything I say. I'am NOT a nice person when it comes to people. A harsh tone from someone will result in a harsher one for me and I'm much MORE adept at it than anyone could imagine.

Nobody here has seen me really tell someone off.

It's not about being a bad or a good person,it's about if you have respect for others or not.
Solve what problems you have with people and not getting so harse with people that just ask for advise.

I'm direct, to the point, and I take the responsibility of having a pet VERY seriously. I will not applaud anyone given less than 110% commitment to their pets and being the best owner possible.

If someone shows me they are making poor decisions in regards to their animals and they refuse to learn I will call them out on it. I will tell them what they are doing wrong.

I do NOT care about my popularity. I do NOT care about being liked nor do I care if everyone calls me every single name in the book.

I'm here because I like animals NOT because I'm a people person.

Now you requested this thread locked.

Consider it done.

I respect others for their opinions.I listen to them,search about what they say and if i think that what they say is right,then i go on.

Behind a screen and without knowing what a person does for his/her pet sure i can also call someone a lousy pet owner that doesn't care for the pet he/she has.
Josephine, all I can say is "Amen" :cool:

Thanks for staying ElitNHunter,
I understand as I fed Chazhound Pedigree for 11 years and thought I was doing great. I started the Sheltie on the same after puppy chow, and he started having terrible reactions. That is when I discovered more about dog food. They now get Flint River and all the problems went away.. so did all the medications :)

Note: Should you ever want to ignore a member, just click on the User CP link on the top blue bar, and look on the left side at the bottom for the the Buddy / Ignore link. Then follow the easy instructions.

Chazhound

Members online