HELP! What Breed is this Dog??

FR4NCH1SE

Well today, my mom surprised me with this dog, we already have a red short haired Dachshund which I love to death named scooby, now I have this dog, we got it from my dads friend, I dont know its breed or how old it is. But so far my dachs has drooled all over this boy. He is a boy too. Help can someone tell me what breed this dog is. And I forgot how to take care of young pups, can someone give me pointers as far as food,activity,obidence, showering. How big do these dog get?

Last edited:
Your pictures are enormous! It's hard to see with them so big, but my guess is GSD perhaps? Maybe a Shepherd mix? It could range anywhere from 55 to 100+ pounds depending on lines. Most male GSDs I've known have been between 70 and 90 pounds.

If you don't have a crate already go get one, just big enough for him to stand up and turn around in, no extra room. Do some reading on NILIF.

FR4NCH1SE

there you go, got bit lazy, and im trying to study for a midterm. This dog rocks, Man they are so cuddly now, I know this is going to be a big dog, but I will love it either way, My tiny dachs will get pwned in a year or two by this bad boy.

ACooper

I agree he looks like some type of shepherd, Belgian, GSD, Mal something. I'd say it won't take a year or two for your dachsund to get out grown........you are talking MONTHS before this guy is towering over him, LOL

He looks VERY young in those pics, He is adorable!

EDIT TO ADD: I would start working on the basics, sit, stay, down, and of course house training ASAP. The sooner the better, pups learn very quick. The crate that SIS mentioned is a good tool in house breaking.

Canidae is a good food, they have ALS (all life stages) and it should be a good starting point for your pup.

It's so tought to tell at this age...lots of pups look similar as puppies even when they are very different breeds! It will be easier to tell as he ages and starts to develop into an adult.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
my first though would be GSD or GSD mix, but it is hard to tell at that age and also sitting the way he is.

make sure you post pics as he grows ;)

My thought was shepard and something else. He's cute though, no matter what he is. I'd plan for a big dog though. Start your training now while he's young.

showpug

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a C-U-T-E puppy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously a mixed breed. I guess shepherd, rottie & lab in there.

The best way to determine a dog's adult size is to see how large the parents are. Since you can't do that then I guess you are in for a surprise!;)

Some good foods are Canidae, Innova, Timberwolf Organics, Eagle Pack Holistic, Pinnacle, Natures Variety and Solid Gold. A puppy that large should be fed adult food or a large breed puppy food.

Good luck!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
My first thought was GSD/Rottie type mix. He's cutie for sure.

As far as food, exercise, training goes...start socializing NOW. Take him places, car rides, park, training classes, fun vet visits, ect.
What type food is he on now? Canidae has an ALS food, that would be good. Or a puppy food.
Training...start working on just the basics like sit, down, stay, and recall.

Good Luck!

FR4NCH1SE

he is a Rottwielder (sp) Mix, my mom took him to the vet. He is a guard dog huh, will he harm my older dachshund once the Rott becomes a adult? I fear that.

Deffinatly GSD in there. I wouldn't be very suprised if he was full GSD but then again the ears and head shape kind of make me think there could be some rottie.

This is my GSD puppy and they look a lot a like.

I agree with Lizmo on food, training, ect.

Members online

No members online now.