Need Help Putting Weight on Gambit

So people stop staring at how skinny he is! :lol-sign:

Gambit is too thin. As in can see his ribs (all of them) when he stands at just the right angle, can feel his hips, just all over too thin. He does have nice muscle tone, but no body fat on top of it. He is a 1 yr old Coyote/BC mix. He currently weighs 30.2lbs.

He's raw fed, and currently gets 2lbs per day, split into two meals. He will not eat more raw if it is offered, and sometimes does not eat all of his second meal. I've been trying to go for meat with a higher fat content for him, and I do add a little PB to his meals.

He rejects satin balls like they are made of rat poison, gets horrendous gas from pasta, and rejects most kibble. On a rare day, I can get him to eat a little high quality canned.

Suggestions? I would like to see him put on about 5 lbs.

~Tucker&Me~

I don't have any advice to offer but.... Can we pretty please see pictures of Gambit? :) I have been so curious ever since you got him about what he looks like!

I'll work on some pics. I don't have internet at home, so I have to use the library, which sucks because we can't upload pics here. Stupid net nanny. I promise, he's cute!

Romy

Taxiderpy
My dogs have had problems keeping weight on because they fry through calories so fast. The thing that fixed it was adding carbs right before bed. Usually they get 1/2-1 cup of cooked brown rice, or I'll soak rolled oats in buttermilk for a few hours and give them that. They seem to digest it fine. I don't ever find weird things in their stool from it anyway.

Satin balls worked to an extent, but honestly I was really worried about causing pancreas issues feeding such a high fat supplement every single day. They each needed 1-1.5 cups of satin balls a day to keep the weight on, which is a lot. A good portion of them are carbs too though.

I'm adding some more fish meals, which he loves and I have to grit my teeth and smile throght fishy burps.
I think that he'll look better once he's a little older and his chest broadens out a bit. Plus, he was a very, very early neuter, and I know that can make them a little spindly.
I know that coyote's are scrawny, but are they scrawny because they're built that way, or because they eat scraps? Another thing to consider.

Members online

No members online now.