The Official "What are you reading" Thread

Miakoda

The Apothecary's Daughter. It was a freebie for the nook. :D

I just finished the Weddings By Bella trilogy. (Christian fiction)

I also just read The One and Only by Kristan Higgins, I Will Carry You by Angie Smith, The Rescue as well as The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks (the latter was awful!).

As soon as I'm finished with this book, I'm going to read Auschwitz by Miklos Nyiszli.

B

Backward_Cinderella

I just finished Red Riding Hood, by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright, David Leslie Johnson, Catherine Hardwicke (Introduction)... Its the one they based the movie on, thought its completely different. LoL the book is SO much better!!!

milos_mommy

On The Road, by Kerouac. It's a pretty easy read, not the greatest book ever but interested, especially for young people or anything who grew up in the beat generation.

I just finished Catch-22, which is probably one of my favorite books ever. SO GOOD.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I'm reading the Sookie Stackhouse series, big surprise :p

Just finished the LOTR trilogy again

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I just bought a bunch of new books, so I've been devouring them.

Finishing up my reread of Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon. Next in line will be the next book in the series, Deadhouse Gates.

I read Midnight's Daughter by Karen Chance. Next up is Death's Mistress, the following book. And I am eagerly awaiting the release of her new book in June.

I've also read Tanya Huff's Blood Price, Blood Trail, and Blood Lines. Currently reading Blood Pact, although not as quickly as I read the others because I know how it ends and I am protesting. As if I don't read it it doesn't happen...

And I am bouncing up and down waiting for July to get here so I can get Jim Butcher's newest book! Cliffhanger endings are not so great when you have to wait a year...LOL

Dekka

Just try me..
Ohh how did you like Garden's of the Moon? I recently read his Korbal Broach/Baucherlain books.

I just read the Hunger Games trilliogy, very good I recommend it. Now I am reading a Game of Thrones.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I'm reading all the HP books before the last movie comes out. Just finished Prisoner Of Azkaban, which will always be my favorite of the 7, and I'll start The Goblet Of Fire today.

Apart from that, I picked up a bunch of new books from Chapters last week. I grabbed The Story Of Edgar Sawtelle, which I have been dying to read for over a year now. 9.99 for the hardcover - super deal. Picked up Water For Elephants too - another one I've been wanting to read for ages and of course they had it out because of the movie and couldn't resist giving it a shot (the lady who rang me through said it was amazing and she couldn't put it down, so I'm super eager to read it now). Also got The Other End Of The Leash after it was recommended on here. Those will have to wait until I'm done with my HP books though!

*blackrose

Ohh how did you like Garden's of the Moon? I recently read his Korbal Broach/Baucherlain books.

I just read the Hunger Games trilliogy, very good I recommend it. Now I am reading a Game of Thrones.
It is brilliant. Very intense plot/character-wise. The reason I'm rereading it is so that I can tie all of the subtle hints and dialog together to make it into the big picture it is supposed to be. The first time I read through it I had a hard time keeping everything straight and I missed out on some of the more subtle things that I'm picking up on this time around. Not a quick and easy read by any means, but very satisfying and it keeps your mind engaged and wanting to read more.

My sister is also devouring the Tanya Huff books I bought. She finished off Blood Trail in a day and a half. She got three pages in to Garden's of the Moon and stopped reading it because she didn't understand what was going on. LOL

The only other books I've read that comes close to making my head work as hard are the later Terry Goodkind books from his Sword of Truth series and the LOTR trilogy. But even they fall short, IMO, to the intricacies of these books. Which is perfect for me, because although I love my "light" reads, I need books that make me think. I had a friend ask me why I was reading it and I said, "It makes my head hurt." She didn't understand, but sometimes that is the best kind of book. And you know any book you pick up with three maps and a three page list of Dramatis Personae at the beginning of the book is going to make your head hurt. :lol-sign:

Dekka

Just try me..
\
The only other books I've read that comes close to making my head work as hard are the later Terry Goodkind books from his Sword of Truth series and the LOTR trilogy. But even they fall short, IMO, to the intricacies of these books. Which is perfect for me, because although I love my "light" reads, I need books that make me think. I had a friend ask me why I was reading it and I said, "It makes my head hurt." She didn't understand, but sometimes that is the best kind of book. And you know any book you pick up with three maps and a three page list of Dramatis Personae at the beginning of the book is going to make your head hurt. :lol-sign:
I know!! I have told people his stuff makes LOTR look shallow and not well fleshed out. I have his latestest Malazan book, but might have to re read the whole series first :)

I find I live his books, they get in my head. I find myself swearing internally (I don't swear out loud as a rule) in the vernacular of his books. His characters are so real, the hero's have faults and the bad guys aren't always bad. And the names.... I want to name something Anomander Rake.

*blackrose

I know!! I have told people his stuff makes LOTR look shallow and not well fleshed out. I have his latestest Malazan book, but might have to re read the whole series first :)

I find I live his books, they get in my head. I find myself swearing internally (I don't swear out loud as a rule) in the vernacular of his books. His characters are so real, the hero's have faults and the bad guys aren't always bad. And the names.... I want to name something Anomander Rake.
Yes, someone who understands! :hail:

His characters are my favorite part of his books. The fact that no one is "good" or "evil" and it is all in perspective...it is so real.

And Anomander Rake and Caladan Brood have to be my two favorite names ever. They are so much fun to say. Especially Anomander.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Totally forgot to update this!

Finished the HP series awhile ago. Still cried my eyes out - the whole chapter of Snape's memories in DH is probably illegible through the tear stains LOL. Just so amazing. I had almost forgotten how much I love that story. I've been on an HP kick for weeks now.

Finished Water For Elephants the day after. At first I really liked it and the more I think about it the more I'm not happy with some of the stuff. I know this is super minor but the way he shot the horse in the first few chapters isn't the correct way - a vet student would know this. I also don't like how she kind of threw away Walter and Camel - I'm not sure if that was her plan the whole time but it was done in a way that made me think she got stuck in a spot in the story and couldn't find a good way to be rid of them. I also wish he would have stuck up for Rosie - it seemed like he was a man who would have done something, but he really didn't. I really liked the "flash forwards" though. Despite all that though I think think it was quite good and with a really happy ending.

Currently reading The Other End Of The Leash. OK so far, not super impressed. I hate that she keeps bringing up her Ph.D. I can see her bringing it up where it's relevant but I'm not that far into the book and she's mentioned it probably 4 times already.

milos_mommy

just finished Kerouac's On the Road, now working on Crime and Punishment, so far I love both.

elegy

overdogged
I'm up to 52 books for the year! Woohoo! Maybe I'll even meet my 100 books goal this year. Just finished The Order of the Poison Oak by Brent Hartinger. YA GLBT fiction, good stuff. Next up is Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan. It's supposed to be YA but I'm somehow intimidated by it.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I just re-read Worth of a Shell. The author is a friend of mine and she's releasing her short story anthology soon about the same aliens, same universe, so I thought I'd freshen up.

Next I may try re-reading Stephenson's The Diamond Age, or finally jump into the Song of Ice and Fire series. I want to watch Game of Thrones but not before I read the books, as I hear they're excellent.

I finally read Gaiman's The Graveyard Book last week. Short, fun, interesting read, great for the age 12-14 crowd especially.

Members online

No members online now.